On Safari for the Ultimate Starter's Kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
Day 1
My trusty companion Bubba and I were searching for the legendary ruins of the earliest known vape lounge in the darkest corner of America, Little Italy. It was rumored to be known as "whatsamatta uwanna vape" and was allegedly started by a group of former linguini makers. We had searched for several weeks when suddenly Bubba shouted "I believe I just soiled myself". One whiff of the sourrounding air told me that he wasn't lying.
When I inquired, from a distance, as to why he proclaimed this, he pointed towards the nearby woods that was just behind the cheese emporium. I raised my binoculars to my eyes and spotted Simba (actually, he was already spotted). Simba appeared to be a male Asian spotted leopard who was holding a sign that read "will growl for baba ghanoush". This struck me as rather odd as I didn't think leopards could spell that well. I told Bubba to change his underwear but he refused, as it wasn't Saturday (bath night).
Simba was looking directly at us at this point, and since I was fresh out of baba ghanoush, I knew that I would have to think quickly.
Two hours later I had come up with a plan. We decided to make camp for the night. I decided to sleep upwind of Bubba and we made a fire and retired for the evening.

Journal entry dedicated to my wife, who works tirelessly to help us make ends meet, (and she'll probably end up having to do Bubba's laundry when our quest comes to an end)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
9-5 Journal Entry 2

Ohh what a day!!!! It was an almost perfect fall day, so I decided to take the day off and go visit the woods around the ol homestead.

Throwing together a light meal stuffing it in the rough sack with my flute and a small blanket. I head out to the car, and not for the first time wonder how I ended up in this city, it has it's wildlife alright, but not the type of wildlife I loved.

Driving out of town music playing on the radio, but my mind already a hundred miles away. As each mile passed I felt the stress drain from me. Two hours later as I turned off the main road onto the little dirt road I felt like my old self, half expecting to hear mom's voice as I pulled into the yard and parked.

Sighing as I look around the old place, the milk barn in ruins, the house not much better off. Smiling as I see the blades of the dutch windmill still on the pump house.

What had it been 10 years, 15 years since they passed. I really should do something with the old place, but too many memories to live there, and too many to sell it. So here it sat waiting like a small puppy on it's master to return,

I grab the sack out of the car and walk around behind the house, trying to advoid the work bench still covered in his tools. I easily find the overgrown trail, it is still visable even after all these years.

Laughing softly to myself, how many times had I walked this trail. It lead back into the woods and the small fishing pond we had built there. It wasn't big it wasn't fancy, but it was home.

Singing softly as I carefully made my way to the pond, looking around seemed like the dry season had left it's mark behind here as well. I walked over and pulled the blanket out, lettingit drift over the tall weeds and grass near the big pine tree.

Taking a sip of coffee, then pulling my flute out, opening the case and tendering unwrapping each piece. Bringing the mouthpiece up tentivly I start to play, letting the metal and my memories warm. Soon my fingers where dancing over the keys I was lost in the music, letting it flow freely.

The song ended, I laid the flute across my lap, still memserized by the melody. A familiar sound pulled me back to my senses, kinda of a half meow and half yawn. I look over to the boulder and smile, sitting there was my old friend, I don't know what her name really was, but I called her Toby as she had a way of reminding me of my first cat.

Toby was a cougar that had lived out on the property for years, and in our own way we had reached an agreement, I never tried to get any closer than she would allow, and she in turn listened to all my teenage hopes and fears. What can I say, when you live in the middle of no where it works.

I talk to her for a bit while I fish the small meal out of the sack, tossing half of it too her. We sit in our spots, almost as tho the years between visits hadn't happened, and I talk away, telling Toby about all things going on in my life.

It started getting late, and Toby didn't fail to let me know I needed to head out. Putting her paw in the air looking at me before she stood and vanished into the woods. I knew the que, and she was right I needed to start heading back.

I pack everything up and make my way back to the car. I take one last look around the place before driving off, not knowing when I will find myself able to be back.

Again this is for my sis Debbie.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
September 5th, 1862
Day2:

I awoke with a searing pain in my head. I coughed up sea water and gasped for breath as I made a pathetic attempt to brush off the sand from the beach I found myself marooned upon. I gathered my composure and set about taking stock of the flotsam from the wreck that washed ashore. I noticed the remains of the tigers' cages smashed upon the shore. A piece of metal glinting in the early morning sunlight drew my attention and I went to it. It was the plaque from Bengali's cage, the fierce feline we'd had so much trouble with stowing last night. I also noticed the footprints of what was probably 3 tigers leading into the nearby bamboo jungle where they quickly disappeared. So Shere Khan, Bengali, and Zabu the Ghost Tiger must have survived the wreck. I was elated. We'd done it! We had somehow accomplished our mission, despite being cast upon the shore and losing our ship and probably many lives. What remained of my fellow shipmates... I wish I knew.

It wasn't long at all when I noticed that near the horizon the growing speck of a boat coming towards me and, at the time, my heart skipped a beat as I was gladdened that (with any luck) I would soon be safely aboard. As it drew near I quickly realized, upon seeing the banner that waved from the mast overhead, that this ship belonged to Shang Long, and he had come to mete out his justice against me and whatever remained of the crew of the Freedom. By the time I figured out what was happening I heard the whoosh of arrows, launched by a dozen bows from a dozen men in their rowboat, which was headed straight for me on an intercept course. I ran with utmost urgency into the jungle before their missiles could find their target.

I ran for what felt like an hour and I thought I had made good on my escape. With my attention focused behind me I never even saw what happened next. Before I knew it I was caught in a snare struggling upside down from a tree. Its vines wrapped around my legs and held me fast as the blood rushed to my head. With no blade to cut them I was scrambling to free myself before Shang Long's men were upon me. I could hear them hacking their way to me, my tracks made in haste were easy enough to follow. Try as I might I couldn't be free of this accursed snare. They found me still trying to free myself in short order.

The men paused as soon as they emerged from the bamboo thicket, and an old man dressed in vibrant silks came forward and smiled at me and issued a gutwrenching laugh at my fate. My heart sank and I knew I was doomed. It was Shang Long. He pointed his sword menacingly at me and said, "Fetch him down". My heart sank. One of his men, with a face as ugly as you please, came over and relieved me of my consciousness with a whack on the head from the .... of his spear. The last thing I remember is the stink of rice wine on his foul breath as he laughed while he cut me down and dragged me off.

(to be continued)

(I would like to dedicate this journal entry to my old friend Jim, who's struggled for far too long, and paid dearly for his love affair with tobacco. I'd love nothing more than to see him finally be quit of it.)

whodat2112

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
May 13, 2012
Mississippi Just Outside Of NOLA
Day 2

I awoke the next morning pleasently surprised as Bubba had cleaned himself at the local pizza parlor. We broke camp in the local park and set out on our quest again. It was a hot and humid day, but we felt that we were close to finding the elusive vapors lounge. As we made our way past the wooded area, we again spotted Simba (he was already spotted, a I said yesterday). Simba had changed his sign, it now read "follow me to the vapors lounge". Was it a trick?, How did he know what we were searching for? Who was making these signs? Bubba and I decided we would follow the beautiful Simba and off we went. The big cat led us down a long twisting path through the woods to a clearing. Upon arriving in the clearing, Simba darted away, leaving us wondering where the hell we were. As we began to try to figure out our location we were suddenly aware of the smell of a wonderful aroma wafting through the air. We followed the scent to a cave like feature in the side of a mountain, when Bubba suddenly passed out cold. I myself started feeling dizzy (dizzier that usual) and suddenly I lost my balance and fell into a deep sleep..............

Journal entry dedicated to my lovely bride. For twenty eight years we have been married and she is trying her hardest to quit smoking. She has a high stress job and works many many hours for very little pay.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
NAE
NAE

WOW ! ! ! :thumbs:

Again - "KIA" - Kudos to YOU for having this contest and GOOD LUCK to ALL that Enter . . . :)

I think these are really nice stories being written . . .
AND - I can't wait to see what else is posted . . . :D

Thanks.
It's a cliffhanger. You gotta wait til tomorrow to find out the shocking conclusion :)

Thornie

Sep 2, 2012
High Desert, So. Cali
Day 1

This evening I tucked my iPhone in my bra and grabbed my e-cig and headed for the door. On my way out I took up my gnarled manzanita walking stick in case of rattlers and began my usual walk across the back forty of my desert property. I'd been hearing a lot of noise from the coyotes up on the buttes lately, so decided to climb up a little further than I usually do. The pinks and oranges of the desert sunset washed across the violet clouds and draped the desert floor in drifts of golden glitter. As I approached the tumble of big rocks and boulders that bordered my property and marked the bottom of the buttes and always reminded me of the chubby toes of some gentle giant I saw a flash of movement from the corner of my eye. Bathed in the glowing sunset the small creature at first glance appeared to be the reddish auburn color of a fox as it stopped and stood perfectly still, hoping, I'm sure that I would pass on my way without disturbing it. Affecting a nonchalance that I surely didn't feel, I slowly moved to sit on a nearby rock. What on earth? I wondered. Why, it's a cat! Just slightly too big to be a domestic cat, but too small to be a cougar or bobcat, I recognized this lovely little creature as a Sand Cat. Just as I pulled my phone out to snap a quick photo, it seemed to disappear! I held my phone out and sat quietly and it suddenly reappeared from the small crevasse in which it had hidden. I snapped a couple of quick photos before it disappeared again, then stood up to walk back to the house before full dark descended. "Okay, Genie", I said, since the pretty thing seemed to pop in and out just like a genie from a bottle, "I'll see you again soon, my little feline friend. Keep safe and beware the coyote".

*This little safari is dedicated to these beautiful creatures and is written in hopes of me going smokeless, so I can get my Tam and my Mom vaping too!

Last edited:

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
September 6th, 1862
Day 3:

If my head had hurt before, when I awoke on the beach, it hurt 10 times worse when I roused the second time. My head was swimming with dehydration and hunger and it took me some time to get my bearings. I was bound to a tree in a hunting bivouac that Shang Long's men had apparently hastily set up so they wouldn't have to carry me back to the ship. One of the men came over to me and offered me a gourd of drinking water. When I craned my head forward so that he could pour it down my throat he laughed at me cruelly as he smashed it over my already throbbing head. If curses were weapons he'd be dead right now, but alas they had no effect.

I took stock of my surroundings, looking and listening intently, trying to get my bearings and devise a method of escape. I could tell from their conversation, and by their numbers being so few that they must be out attempting to recapture the escaped tigers. Shang Long came over to address me. I don't remember our interaction with perfect detail, on account of my aching head and the years that have passed, but the sum of it was this: "How dare you steal from me!", he barked. "I will take you back to Hong Kong and make a lesson out of you for everyone to see what Shang Long does to thieves", he promised as he waved his sword menacingly for emphasis. He then proceeded to lash me without pity. I was able to endure it with thoughts of how Shang Long must pay for his crimes.

I never had time to make good on any sort of exodus because it wasn't an hour before the men had returned empty-handed. Shang Long was furious and wasn't too shy to let them know with the crack of his whip. They cut me loose and bound my hands and then tied that to my feet with a short length of rope, just enough to walk. When they finished binding me they roughly began to drag me back through the jungle; back towards the coast, and the ship that was moored there. The same ship I so foolishly thought was my salvation on that unforgiving beach.

As we walked I passed the journey looking for an opening, a way to free myself of bondage and get away from these fiendish and heartless men. My chances of escape were pretty grim. My thoughts were lost in my plans when, all of sudden, I heard a great crack as a tiger burst from the bamboo and landed soundly on the man's chest. The magnificent beast struck like lightning, its jaws looking for purchase on his exposed neck. This was the great Shere Khan! The man was dead before he hit the ground. The tiger let loose a fearsome growl and a snarling hiss. The procession was in a state of chaos.

The men attempted to surround Shere Khan with their spears and swords. 2 men pulled Shang Long back and stood defensively between him and the raging tiger. As the men pressed the attack against Shere Khan, they never saw Zabu the Ghost Lion as she flew like a phantasm from the trees. She scattered the men like so many pawns with swipes of her paws so fierce that they would have felled a bamboo tree and still killed a man standing behind it. The duo of tigers set upon them men most savagely.

As Shang Long's two bodyguards moved to engage, I knew it was time to make my move. I yanked my rope free from his grasp and tried to run away as best as I could with my bonds in place. Alas, Shang Long was free of such bondage so he easily caught me and forced me to the ground as rudely as you like. As I rolled to my back to try and kick him I saw him pull back with his sword as he said "Die thief!" and I closed my eyes, the only defense left to me. The end was nigh...

I heard a loud thump and I thought my time on Earth was over, but to my surprise it was not. I opened my eyes and there was Bengali to my rescue. Shang Long's hand instinctively went for his whip, but his life was ended with a hideous cry before he could bring it to bear. None too soon, but surely I was surely next. I grabbed his sword as it fell to the ground and cut myself free while the tigers finished my captors off.

Fearing for my life, and in a deep state of panic, I could think of only one action; run for safety. Absconding the locus of this battle between men and beast was my only hope left. I was no match for these angry predators that had felled so many men like a tsunami of teeth and claws. I ran as fast as my tortured body would let me, all the while mortified that with every step that those claws would snatch me and drag me back to that ghastly scene. I was surely a dead man running. When I finally gathered the courage to look back, to my utmost surprise, I saw the trio of magnificent beasts utterly unconcerned with my flight. They looked up from their vengeful business as if to say "Now we are even".

It wasn't until many years later that I tired of telling this grand tale and finally committed it to paper.
I never did learn what became of the crew of Freedom after our fateful mission, but after my first real adventure, I had found a purpose in life. Thereafter, I had found religion. If there was a god it was surely found within those downtrodden animals. I struggled valiantly for the rest of my days fighting for the rights of animals in a world where there were none. I'll never forget those majestic cats who saved my life as I had saved theirs.

-The End

p.s.
Thanks for reading my story.
Some of the animals of Earth may be feral, savage, and dangerous to humans, but they are beautiful too and they do have feelings. They do not exist for us to exploit. It is our obligation, as caretakers of this planet, to treat them with the dignity, kindness, and respect that they deserve. Please find it in your hearts to donate to Big Cats Rescue.

Please Donate

Remember, all donations are tax deductible.

Also, the next time you get a pet please adopt one from the Humane Society like I've done with all of my dogs. Save a life. Money CAN buy love. Remember that.

(I would like to dedicate this to my friend Carl who has a beautiful family and so much to live for. This also goes to my grandfather, my best friend, and my uncle who all died of tobacco-related illness (emphysema, and 2 lung cancers respectively). We were too late to save them, but hopefully I can save those family and friends I have left. I also dedicate this story to Big Cats Rescue in Tampa, and the tigers known as Shere Khan, Bengali, and Zabu the White Tiger (who came out of nowhere like a ghost:) ). I hope you find your forever sponsors and have a life full of happiness. Lastly, I dedicate this to Kia2 whose heart is kind, and whose generosity knows no bounds. Thanks again, Kia, for this contest giveaway. Thanks to everyone who participates in this contest as well. I wish you all the very best of luck.)

Last edited:

XIVChrissyVIX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Wyoming
Day 1

The air in the jungle was thick and fragrant. My clothes clung uncomfortably to my body soaked with a combination of perspiration and humidity. It was not a far hike, but I was ready for it to be over with. The bugs seemed to hover around my face and I swatted them away periodically to save myself from their annoying antics. I stopped to tie my shoe and stood up to stretch before continuing our trek. I felt another annoying brush against my face and I reached up instinctively to swat away the bug that I believed waivered in the air. To my surprise, it was not an annoying bug, but was instead the end of a lightly twitching tail. This tail was attached to the most majestic creature I had seen on our excursion. There was Sundari, lazily sleeping in her perch. Fortunately, my brushing of her tail failed to wake her and she continued resting with only that little side to side twitch of her tail. Quietly, we moved further away, leaving Sunny to her vivid dreams of wandering free and wild through the forest looking for that furry gentleman to fulfill her needs.

Dedication: To Sandy, my co-worker who cannot afford to start vaping due to recent medical bills, but desperately wants to try it to quit smoking through vaping.

XIVChrissyVIX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Wyoming
Day 2

I sat quietly outside of our hut watching the hummingbirds swarming around a floral bush when I heard a strange sound to my right. I glanced over and there was a serval. From the curl of the tail, I immediately recognized Kricket. I held my breath as my little rat terrier, Dexter, jumped from my lap and ran over to greet Kricket. I didn’t want to scare her by telling Dex “no”, but I was nervous what reaction she might have to my little playful boy. Fortunately, I needn’t be concerned. Dexter rolled over onto his back and pawed up at the curious Kricket who gently batted back at him. She seemed to understand that he was a friend and responded in kind. It was a surprising scene considering servals are rarely social creatures. Perhaps she sensed in him his own weakened back legs and seemed to see him as kindred spirit. No matter what made her befriend him, it was a happy few moments where both creatures, wild and domestic, seemed to be lost in each other’s worlds. It came to an end all too quickly when Bosler, my jack russel, poked his head out of the hut and came running boisterously toward the two. Kricket feeling uncertain at the new addition darted off into the forest to the safety of the shadows, perhaps never to forget her little kindred spirit of the canine world.

Dedication: Sticking with Sandy. She could really use it.

XIVChrissyVIX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Wyoming
Day 3

I was running through the forest. The sounds, the colors, the scents. It was all so vibrant and crisp. As I drew in my surroundings, it became clear that I was closer to the ground, which for a 5’2 human being, that means a lot. Looking down, I realized I was running on golden paws. I heard a scream in the distance, which as a human would have sent chills up my spine, but as a cougar made me ache with need to see my brethren. My paws carried me forward and my tail swung back for balance as I dodged trees and dashed into a clearing. My weight was suddenly lifted off the ground as I was struck from the side. I tumbled across the ground and landed with Orion on top of him. He playful grabbed my ear gently nibbling it. I batted him away with a large paw and stood up. I wiggled down into a pouncing stance and was struck from the side again. I should have known that Ares was nearby! We rolled about in the grass, the three of us landing atop one another in erratic positions. Artemis suddenly arrived in front of me, the spoil sport that she is, and opened her mouth showing pearly fangs and let loose a loud…… “Beep, Beep, Beep!” Oh alarm! Oh if only dreams could be a reality!

Dedication: My fingers are crossed for you Sandy!

XIVChrissyVIX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Wyoming
NAE

Thanks so much for the contest and opportunity! I have always had a deep love for big cats, as proved by a leopard (which looks a lot like Sunny) tattooed on my shoulder. My heart always goes out to wild creatures that are kept as pets. Rescue Agencies of all creatures, feline, canine, and so on really hit my heart song.

Thanks!

dcav

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Texas Panhandle
NAE. I love BCR. I have their iphone app and pics of my favorite, Shere Kahn all over the place. They are very determined to make their cats happy and take a proactive stance against many issues I hadn't known of. They are the reason I go on a rant anytime someone mentions white tigers. Thank you for this great contest. I may come back later and post an entry. Just wanted to say Thank You.

dwsizme

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Michigan
Day 1
My journal
(I can’t make up stories…no gift for the art of writing….but I can tell a real life story….will that count?)
Found out about this contest….wasn’t going to enter but then saw the prize package and had to wipe the drool from my mouth. Like, wow. I worry about spending too much money on this vaping thing I’ve found (it’s made me not want a cigarette anymore – never thought that would happen) and the prize package so generously offered would keep me comfortably pursuing this satisfying activity for quite awhile. Been smoking many, many years and have quit so many times with so many products I could make a list a mile long of all the miserable side effects….. So even though I’m not much of a “writer”…here I go off on a safari today.

I jump in my vehicle of choice – my computer, my “safari” is in the jungle we call the internet - to the big cat page. Immediately I was drawn to the list of bobcats. Little White Dove caught my eye. Hey, I know that name….my favorite song when I was a little girl. She loved Running Bear, right?! Sure enough, same one! This beautiful face appeared when the page loaded. The photo so vivid it seemed I was looking into her golden white lined eyes for real. My first encounter with a bobcat was Little White Dove. I’m profoundly moved by what’s going on with them, too. I didn’t know. I didn’t know in this day and age they still wanted real fur so bad they would slaughter such magnificent creatures. How sad this world is sometimes……how incredibly mean….to club an animal to death….just for fur!!! I’m outraged.

- The entries are dedicated to myself. I smoked for most of my life, quit many (many, many, many) times but never left cigarettes so easily before. I was wrapped up in the fun of vaping before I even realized I wasn’t smoking cigarettes anymore. So as a gift to my family (and me) of me staying around for a few more years than expected, I would keep the prize for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread