One dry wick... Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
Hey guys!

So, I have a quick question. I'm new to building on RDAs, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I've got dual coils on my Freakshow V2, and after I've been vaping for about a half hour I notice the flavour gets a little weak, and I'll check under the cap to see how dry it's gotten. Well, on one side the wick still looks moderately wet (not soaking wet, but not dry either), but on the other side it looks pretty dry. Is this normal? I'm trying to figure out if I made a mistake in my build, if something is wrong with my rda, or if it's just normal for one wick to get drier than the other at a faster rate. I'm very meticulous in that I apply exactly 6 drops of e liquid with an eye dropper on each wick, then 6-8 drops in my RDA well. That gets both wicks very very saturated. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide me with!

またね!
♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪
Maelui

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Hey guys!

So, I have a quick question. I'm new to building on RDAs, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I've got dual coils on my Freakshow V2, and after I've been vaping for about a half hour I notice the flavour gets a little weak, and I'll check under the cap to see how dry it's gotten. Well, on one side the wick still looks moderately wet (not soaking wet, but not dry either), but on the other side it looks pretty dry. Is this normal? I'm trying to figure out if I made a mistake in my build, if something is wrong with my RDA, or if it's just normal for one wick to get drier than the other at a faster rate. I'm very meticulous in that I apply exactly 6 drops of e liquid with an eye dropper on each wick, then 6-8 drops in my RDA well. That gets both wicks very very saturated. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide me with!

またね!
♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪
Maelui

Are both your coils the same number of wraps? Both wicks should be in need of another few drops at the same time, not just 1 coil while the other is still wet. I'm wondering if you have a extra wrap or more on the side that doesn't dry out first. The side that dries out faster may have less wraps which would cause it to burn hotter faster which in turn would produce more vapor and dry out that wick faster. I would start there because that would be the easiest fix by just building a couple more matching coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
Are both your coils the same number of wraps? Both wicks should be in need of another few drops at the same time, not just 1 coil while the other is still wet. I'm wondering if you have a extra wrap or more on the side that doesn't dry out first. The side that dries out faster may have less wraps which would cause it to burn hotter faster which in turn would produce more vapor and dry out that wick faster. I would start there because that would be the easiest fix by just building a couple more matching coils.

Both my coils are 7 wraps, 3.0mm in diameter, and clocking in at 0.28Ω together on my RDA. They are premade coils. I haven't put my own coils in yet.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
One thing I'd like to mention is that while one wick is drier, the other wick is not super wet. It's just a little more moist than the other wick. I have noticed it's always on the same coil though. It doesn't alternate between coils, the same coil always drys a little faster than the other.

It also could be the amount of cotton in the coil. If the one coil that dries out faster could have less cotton while the other one that stays moist could have more cotton. The more cotton in the coil the more juice it will hold. I know when I'm wicking my RDA I will use the same piece of cotton bacon to wick both coils so they both have the same amount of cotton.

Maelui

Jul 24, 2015
It also could be the amount of cotton in the coil. If the one coil that dries out faster could have less cotton while the other one that stays moist could have more cotton. The more cotton in the coil the more juice it will hold. I know when I'm wicking my RDA I will use the same piece of cotton bacon to wick both coils so they both have the same amount of cotton.

Well, I use these Japanese organic facial pads, called Puffs. I try my best to cut each pad into thirds, but some of them do kind of come out slightly smaller than others. Is it dangerous for one wick to get drier than the other? When I notice the one wick starting to get dry, even if the other one is still a little wet, I will saturate them both in e liquid. I don't really like dry hits, nor fire, so I always refill the well when it's starting to taste weaker.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Well, I use these Japanese organic facial pads, called Puffs. I try my best to cut each pad into thirds, but some of them do kind of come out slightly smaller than others. Is it dangerous for one wick to get drier than the other? When I notice the one wick starting to get dry, even if the other one is still a little wet, I will saturate them both in e liquid. I don't really like dry hits, nor fire, so I always refill the well when it's starting to taste weaker.

It's not dangerous. If your noticing the dryer hit do what you have been doing and saturate the cotton again.

I was using KGD cotton pads a little while ago and what I was doing is building 4mm coils. The smallest RDA I use is a 27mm Mason and what I do is build the 4mm coils and I would take a single pad, tear off the outside layers and stretch it out to maximize the width of the cotton. Then I would fold it in half and cut it so I have 2 pieces the same size. Roll them up Scottish roll style then do what you do normally, roll one side tight to fit it in the coil. You can either use 1 half of the pad to rolled up to wick just 1 coil or if you have a small enough deck or if your wicking a larger deck like I do you will most likely have to use both halves to wick both of the coils.

That way both wicks will be the same. Since doing it this way for the past year I have never had one wick get dried out before the other one. Try that out if you have the room on your RDA/RTA to build 4mm coils. That may work for you as it did for me.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
As mentioned check for Hotspots and cotton uniformity.
Thinking outside the box a bit, is the one that seems to be wetter the one on the bottom when you tilt to vape?
In other words when you vape "typically" you would raise it and juice in the well would run to one side. depending on how you wick and what is in the juice well. So if you always hold your mod the same way this could also factor in to your issue.
Assuming the other factors check out that is.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
That's a problem I did t even think about it it makes sense @Highteck Redneck.

@gojoe, that's also a good habit to get into. That's happened to me more than once where after a while of the wire heating and cooling the wires could have loosened themselves and/or the screws could have done the same.

@Maelui, I would go through and check your screws to make sure they are tight on the wires and making good contact, pay attention to the way the RDA is being tilted, make sure your getting the wicks a consistent thickness between the 2. Do all those and let us know if your still having this issue or if it has been resolved. Let us know either way. I'm sure between all of these the issue will be resolved and you learned a few things. If it's not resolved we will rack our brains again and try to come up with ideas that will get it resolved once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread