RDA One half of wick always dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Recently got this flybone rda and actually liking it a lot, I thought I would take the fan out, but with it in it cools the vape down just a bit and blocks spit back. I've noticed this happening in my mutation x v4 as well, why does the wick on the right side of the coil get so much darker than the other side?
Thanks in advance for any input

Attachments

• IMG_20151005_165507058.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20151005_165507058.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 98

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
From what I can see It's because that section of wick is both very much shorter than the other side of it AND it's right close up against the cap of the RDA. With the central side being so much longer you're going to get more juice wanting to go up into the coil from that longer side. Also, when the wick sits that close to the edge of the RDA it soaks up all of the condensation vapor that is on the side walls of the top cap which tends to be a darker color, the longer the device sits without using it the more chance those wicks have to soak up all of the stuff that clings to the RDA cap and runs down the walls.

Basically the juice is just sitting there in that portion of your wick getting heated over and over, it doesn't really have anywhere to go when the cap is on.

Reactions: 4lph4num3r1c

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
From what I can see It's because that section of wick is both very much shorter than the other side of it AND it's right close up against the cap of the RDA. With the central side being so much longer you're going to get more juice wanting to go up into the coil from that longer side. Also, when the wick sits that close to the edge of the RDA it soaks up all of the condensation vapor that is on the side walls of the top cap which tends to be a darker color, the longer the device sits without using it the more chance those wicks have to soak up all of the stuff that clings to the RDA cap and runs down the walls.

Basically the juice is just sitting there in that portion of your wick getting heated over and over, it doesn't really have anywhere to go when the cap is on.
Because of the location of the coil that part of the wick is much closer to the cap, and also more constricted because it's kind of a tight fit down into the juice well. Maybe when I re wick it I can center the coil a little more so that side is more free. That wick should be the same length as the other side, I trimmed them evenly.

Reactions: Kprthevapr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread