One week update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
This morning marks the 7 full days mark for me of no cigarettes.

So far, I would be working on my third carton of cigs in the same time frame as I've been vaping....

Very very glad I used the forums to find a local person selling a huge deal on liquids along with a 510, PCC, some atties and carts. My order from China was delayed due to the holiday (bugged them for a tracking number, which I finally got and HK air showed it leaving HK after the holiday finished, rather than before... fun mess...)

Anyhoo... I already bought some PG to mix with, have various flavors to work with, have learned basic maintenance... the whole fun process.

Couple of points I'd like to make....

1. After many experiments with filler materials, and trying a BUNCH of things from the craft room here which is well stocked, along with most of the kitchen, and some of the bathroom... there really isn't any better filler or cleaners out there that haven't been mentioned here at least once. The ONE and only ONE thing I found better than in guides here was using .12N H2SO4 as atty cleaner... but its something not a lot of people would easily know how to obtain. (Though its readily available)

2. Burned attys taste horrible. Of the 3 I obtained, I've already retired one. Didn't pitch it, saving it as my tester for finding something that will take the taste out of it. Addendum, do NOT attempt to mix very strong coffee (I make very strong, thick coffee liquor... tried reducing coffee like I do for that) into flavorless juice to make coffee flavoring. The coffee oils burn onto the atty and the burned taste (thus far) is impossible to remove.

3. Do not use vodka or water as a reduction agent for liquid. It kills the vapor production, and doesn't taste right... stick to PG or VG.

4. PG is very drying on the throat. I can now take a single puff from new liquids and tell immediately the approximate ratios of PG vs VG.

5. As much as I liked my Camel Menthol Lights, I don't like a lot of menthol in my vaping. I find myself usually loading up cherry, licorice, banana... and I hate most tobacco flavors I've tried. I've had others try various things, and most of them like the tobacco flavorings, so its definitely a 'me' thing.

6. A straw mod is a must for consistent, quality vaping on a 510. Someone should REALLY consider contacting the makers of the carts and see about getting them to slightly alter their design to incorporate it from the get-go. Without it, I find myself topping off carts with 5 drops since they start tasting dry... when they take 12-16 drops to fill.

7. Exhaling through the nostrils really helps avoid a lot of the throat-drying of heavy PG liquids. In another week, if I start having sinus issues, I may report back, but thus far, I've actually had improved sinus function (family history of chronic sinusitis). As of now, I'd chalk this up as one of the little known benefits, something worth a M.D. looking into as far as I'm concerned!

8. Cravings... I still occasionally get them. I nearly asked for a cigarette night before last... 18 cans of Bud Light and a pint of Smirnoff Blue Label were involved. I 'drip-tailpiped' some 36mg, and cravings left, then switched back to my normal cart. For those who haven't read the forums enough to understand these terms, that's dripping high strength fluid on the atty, taking off the cart, and vaping a few hits sans cart.

9. For a 3 pack a day smoker for more than 5 years, and at least pack a day smoker for going on 20, when I first got my 510, I was sticking to 36mg from the start, and barely had my spare battery charged before my one in use ran out... now I've reduced to 24mg liquid, but still rotate batteries the same frequency. If I use 36mg, I don't find myself vaping quite so much anymore. Guess I've lowered my nicotine requirements to avoid withdrawal a bit at least.

10. I've been irking friends a bit already with it. Testing 'outsiders' a bit. I've vaped at Applebee's, in a gas station, at the movies, in a non-smoking pool hall, at Denny's... I've had a few looks, and when asked, I go through a quick explanation, and so far, all manager types have said it's perfectly fine. Not a single complaint from another customer *knock on wood*. I think the fact I'm usually vaping Cherry, Licorice, or Banana (still haven't tried Grape yet), and the vapor has only a hint of the fruit smell, and no lingering odor, it helps my case.

11. I'll probably retire my 510 in the future. I'm really, really considering getting a Chuck. I don't want it for the 5v... I want it for the 3.7v multiple-day battery. With the amount I vape, my hope is if I get a Chuck, I might be able to pull off a whole day per battery.

12. Taste and smell are definitely coming back. Regarding taste, I think that's why I keep going back to fruit flavors. As per smell, the litter box is getting a lot more attention now! (Gone are the days of weekly cleaning it... its already now a daily ritual..)

I'll stop there... I could keep going. I doubt anyone's going to read the whole thing, and I don't want to go one more number. If someone did make it this far, my apologies for any grammatical or spelling errors... I'm on coffee cup #1 for the day. If no one makes it this far, at least I wrote it for myself if nothing else.

Cheers!

Wellner

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Ha. I read the whole thing. Congrats on a full week. I actually found a few things I want to try after reading it all. Such as the sinus thing. I never exhaled strictly through the nose for more than a few puffs at a time, but it makes sense that it will help with a runny/stuffy nose. I'm exactly with you on flavors - I don't care for anything that was related to analogs. Though I do like RY4 occasionally, but rarely for more than a day at a time. I have been enjoying Red Bull 18mg for the past week and getting a little nervous now I'm running low on it.

Would you happen to recommend a good cherry liquid? I've tried a couple but the flavor is not nearly as potent as the other fruit flavors.

And thanks again for sharing your experience, it's given me a few ideas, and some things I'm going to try right away. Congratulations!

Deschain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
England
I'm around a week in myself...and you are correct when you say that "the straw mod is a must", I made up a few carts the day I got my juice, they are so much better than standard carts! (and it takes all of a few minutes to rig up a few carts).

I may try the PTB mod eventually, but for now the straw mod is working a like a charm (had no leaks drips etc...just a good easy vape). :)

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Nice post! Congrats on the week. Trust me, it gets easier (not smoking and fooling around with getting down the use of e-cigs). I've gone over 6 months without a cigarette. I'm still amazed!

I highly recommend the Chuck (obviously, LOL). Not messing with batteries all day (for 2 days with the Chuck, a full day with a Little Chuck) really helps!! The 3.7v gives you a satisfying 4.2v at first charge (it drops off, but isn't noticeable) and you can use two 3v batteries for 6v vaping in a Chuck (but not in a Little Chuck) if you choose to.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
As per the cherry, not sure who's it is. Part of the package deal I got when I bought from someone retiring their low voltage supplies....

Its a translucent 30mL bottle, white cap... has a small clear circle sticker on top left that says Cherry in black letters, a small one top right that says 24mg, and one centered below that says PRD:200906 EXP:201106. There's an identical in everything but flavor sticker bottle of Grape (label says Grap) and another that is Redbull.

The cherry from this bunch tastes like the juice out of a jar of cherries. Much better than the cherry from Johnson Creek which a friend has (sorry JC guys if you read this, I'm sure there's others who like yours) and 1000x better than cherry Blu carts (same friend has them). The licorice I have is NOT licorice. I would say the taste is more a combination of horehound and camphor, perhaps a bit more of a sassafras to it than horehound.. regardless though, NOT licorice. Does mix great with the cherry I have (together they resemble the flavor of the Redbull, sans Grape flavoring). The banana I have tastes like 'mushy bananas' if you know what I mean. Not bad, but also not something I'd vape regularly.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Figured I'd give the Today update by posting here, rather than new thread.

Just performed my final farewell to analogs.

I gave my ashtrays to my neighbor, cleaned all around my desk (for those rogue empty packs, cellophane bits, and little pieces of foil that accumulate), and cleaned off ALL the ashes, including moving monitors and speakers and getting it all REALLY well.

Sadly though, now it went from looking like a 'heavy smoker' to looking like a 'crackhead' desk... little bottles of colored liquids, 2 pairs of tweezers, surgical forceps, a shot glass with used polyfill squished down in it (I've been saving up to squeeze it for juice later), scissors, a box of polyfill, and a small stack of little straws (from donor q-tips, for straw modding)... I still have 4 cans of snus, saving them for those times when I get told no vaping somewhere (has yet to happen). I still have 2 lighters, and will always carry one with me, so I'm prepared for surviving in the event of the apocalypse.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi. Good going bornbbjorg. I'm really new to all this too. I got my ecig just 2 weeks ago. Still on the analogs, since I haven't gotten any nic juice yet. I have cut down to half what I usually smoked though. So a big plus there. I'm breathing a lot better already. Actually, I was breathing better after the first day. Plus hardly any flem like I usually had in the mornings. I have emphasema. Can someone explain what "the straw mod" is. I figure you put a small straw in the center. Is that right? I'd like to try it but need more info. I have tried the Pyramid Tea Bags.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Straw mod is explained in the modding forum somewhere better, but basically... get a qtip with a hollow shaft, or a big bore coffee stirrer... cut it to JUST less than the length of where you put the cartridge wadding in, put it on the side of the cart, and fill with wadding as usual. It provides an air path for air to escape while filling, and a place for air to get past the fluid when vaping. Wonderful wonderful mod.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Þornbjörg;647706 said:
Straw mod is explained in the modding forum somewhere better, but basically... get a qtip with a hollow shaft, or a big bore coffee stirrer... cut it to JUST less than the length of where you put the cartridge wadding in, put it on the side of the cart, and fill with wadding as usual. It provides an air path for air to escape while filling, and a place for air to get past the fluid when vaping. Wonderful wonderful mod.

Thanks. You explained it very well. I will try that. Got lots of Q Tips. Which works better? The Q Tip or the coffee stir stix? I think the Q tip is bigger, so probably better?

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
I read the entire thread. Sounds like you have become very knowledgeable in only 7 days. Good luck.

Since I had a new update, figured I'd dig up my thread rather than cluttering up with new ones....

When I decided I was going to switch, I immediately began researching. I am a 'closet chemist', and know my Material Safety Data Sheets inside and out. Whenever taking a new medication, I always looked it up in a database. Yes, I researched cigarettes when I decided to smoke them.

I prefer to arm myself fully, then make an informed decision. Learning tricks and things comes naturally, especially when I already have a working knowledge jumping in.

Now... the update I had....

My order from China came in today, but I missed it. I was up all night baking for an American Heart Association bake-sale fundraiser, and didn't go to be until 7am, was asleep when the mailman came. Will need to catch them today, so I can have them tomorrow for my bday. =^_^=

Deschain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
England
Thanks. You explained it very well. I will try that. Got lots of Q Tips. Which works better? The Q Tip or the coffee stir stix? I think the Q tip is bigger, so probably better?

I'm not familiar with the coffee stirer, I know that what you americans & canadians call a "q-tip" works a charm for me.

samysam1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm not familiar with the coffee stirer, I know that what you americans & canadians call a "q-tip" works a charm for me.

The coffee stir stick is just a plastic stick to stir your coffee in fast food places. I've seen two kinds. One is round and looks like a small straw. The other looks similiar except it looks like it has been squished together and makes two straws stuck together. I'm surprised you don't have them there. They are always dark brown in color here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread