Status
Not open for further replies.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
So I like the chrome, but I am worried that it won't hold up well. I take good care of it but I am worried if I drop it once the chrome will start peeling off or get pretty messed up. I am going to buy one but I was thinking that the satin finish would hide anything that did happen better than black or chrome. Plus I would be saving twenty bucks, which would be nice considering it isn't cheap. Also I assume when you buy it, it is just the tube right? Which means I will have to put out money for batts and a charger(I should have just bought a multi charger with my first mod). I see no reason to get the 18490s if I can put 18650s in it which means I have to spend another 20. That way at least I don't waste money on 18490s when I know that I want the 18650s.

Also will this charger work for AW IMRs
Ultrafire WF-139 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger
or is this one better?
http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire...3-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_3669.html
Or would that be bad for the cells? Does anyone have a problem with whateverfire battries? Or is it worth spending the extra $ per cell?

Thanks for reading, and your opinions.

Last edited:

Wylie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I got the Satin and love it enough to buy a second (no fingerprints or worry about finish). On the batteries, I have had really good vaping time with the 18490s, but I have the extension and use the 18650s, too. Just be sure to get the IMR high-drains.

And yes, both of those chargers should work, but the second link you posted is out of stock. The IMRs do not use any special charger.

...but why not just get one from ProVape for 14.95 while you're there and save shipping?

http://www.provape.com/14500-Charger-p/14500charger.htm

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
I have 2 satin Provari's....both with 18650 caps as well. To me.....the black paint might chip for whatever reason and the chrome is a fingerprint magnet...from what ive read. I have a few light scratches on both of mine...not noticeable unless you look for them.

I have 2 of the chargers that Wylie posted a link for. I bought the chargers from dealextreme...same chargers. I have had them for about 8 months and no issues with either of them

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
Yeah I'll order that. I missed it on their page. Any e liquid recommendations? I'm either ordering the black or the satin. I would only deal with the finger print magnet for black chrome. Cause that would be awesome I think. If I don't get the IMRs what will happen? Because the max amps out for a normal trustfire is 5. So even at three amps it should handle it. I'm still buying AWs first because I'm guessing they are honest mAh vs trust fire probably overstating by a few hundred. I buy IKV attys, should I pick up some HV attys from provape? I like the 3.5 ohm 306 from IKV it was the first one I ordered I loved it on my buzz. Because I let some noobs use my pv(which is cool Idc) but they cooked my wick. Oh well. Putting in my provape order tonight.

Wylie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I hear some non-IMR batteries work ok, but the device is designed for high drains. I think it has some to do with the amp draw, but more with battery depletion-- the high drains are pretty steady all the way through, whereas some others fade over time. The problem there is that you may be demanding more of a 'regular' battery halfway through. But I'm mostly guessing since I only use the IMRs.

I like IKV atties, too but the 'sweet spot' here is around 2.8 - 3.22Ω, but I've successfully used higher and lower.

You should check out the FAQs on the ProVape site. They've got some of this info on there.

I'm also adding a link to a post I made with an Excel file I think is useful.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I've always just done the math for that with my buzz haha. V^2/ohms=watts, V/ohms=Amps. Too bad they don't have the vari doing math too haha that would another feature to provari 2.0. Oh also turning the screen screws into touch buttons for volts up and down in the console and tap both for ohm check.

Last edited:

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
The Vari's one valid critique imo is the battery use time... i don't care, like some, I rotate (5) IMR 18650's (between 2 Vari's) Vaping heavy, i have to change out each one every day. If I had one Vari I'd have to use to batts a day. That's about 5 hours per battery of constant use.

I guess the functions take up some of the power... I turn the LED light off for button clicks; not needed.

A Pila charger will be safer for overcharge situations.

Using protected Li-ion will give you more time, but i would stick to mid range Ohm attys... you can maybe find some that fit; mine are long but a mm gap is not a big deal... I don't use those though, just to be safe.

The 18490 is just too short on time for me; I'd be charging constantly.
For many, lighter vapers, they're not a problem.

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
So I like the chrome, but I am worried that it won't hold up well. I take good care of it but I am worried if I drop it once the chrome will start peeling off or get pretty messed up. I am going to buy one but I was thinking that the satin finish would hide anything that did happen better than black or chrome. Plus I would be saving twenty bucks, which would be nice considering it isn't cheap. Also I assume when you buy it, it is just the tube right? Which means I will have to put out money for batts and a charger(I should have just bought a multi charger with my first mod). I see no reason to get the 18490s if I can put 18650s in it which means I have to spend another 20. That way at least I don't waste money on 18490s when I know that I want the 18650s.

Also will this charger work for AW IMRs
Ultrafire WF-139 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger
or is this one better?
Ultrafire WF-188 Charger for 14500 / 17500 / 18500 / 18650 / RCR123 3.7 volt Lithium Battery Charger
Or would that be bad for the cells? Does anyone have a problem with whateverfire battries? Or is it worth spending the extra $ per cell?
Thanks for reading, and your opinions.

I purchased two each of the smaller 18490 and larger 18650 batteries. I thought I would just keep the smaller 18490's as backups, however I ended up primarily using the 18490's and the bigger 18650's are sitting here, as I've not used them as much. I like using the smaller batteries better because I like the looks of my ProVari with the smaller end cap on it. I know I'll eventually get use out of my 18650's when I'm away from home for longer periods of time.

:2c:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread