Not open for further replies.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
This is absolutely appalling.

As a tax paying resident of OC with two kids in the public school system I am outraged that my tax money has been used to propagandize for the benefit of big pharma.

NOTE: OC, through the Board of Health, who are partners in the website... has a program that gives free nicotine patches to smokers... this page links directly out to that page

notsosafe.org

I assure you the current members of the board will not be getting my vote come time for re-election.

I have no idea how the OC Department of Education's stated mission of:

The mission of the Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) is to ensure that all students are equipped with the competencies they need to thrive in the 21st century.

Would make them think this was something they should do with my tax money.

Last edited by a moderator:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Sheesh, that page is one of the worst, most obvious propaganda pages I've encountered yet. Clearly, the page is designed to create horror on the part of the reader, particularly parents. The page provides a click-through list of carcinogens they claim are in ecigs. Notice that the list never ends, but merely mixes up the order of the carcinogens to give the appearance of an endless list of bad stuff. Here are the ingredients they claim are in e-cigs, each followed by a cute little note for the kiddies and their parents:

Lithium--It’s not rocket science. It’s rocket fuel. Literally.
Formaldehyde--Like in dead people.
N-Nitro-sonor-nicotine--That’s pronounced “Group 1 Carcinogen.”
Fluorine--It’s what keeps your refrigerator cool. Putting it in your mouth, maybe not as cool.
Lead--The first word in the popular term, lead poisoning.
Copper--And we don’t mean an old-timey policeman.
Benzaldehyde--Makes perfumes smell nice. May do the same for your insides!
Aluminum--Like inhaling a soda can.
Ethylbenzene--Highly flammable. Try not to sit near the fireplace.
Cadmium--Like in batteries.
Benzo(ghi)perylene--If you can’t pronounce it, don’t inhale it.
Rubidium--You might know it as the stuff that turns fireworks purple.
Nickel--Just our two cents: keep it out of your lungs.
Arsenic--Also found in bug spray. Tasty, tasty bug spray.
Silver--On the bright side, at least it’s not bronze.

At the bottom of the page, in the smallest possible font, is this note without even a link to the article they claim to base their "list" upon:

*While every chemical listed may not be found in all e-cigarettes, studies have identified at least 10 known carcinogens commonly found in e-cigarette aerosol. (“Levels of selected carcinogens and toxicants in vapour from electronic cigarettes,” Tobacco Control 6 March 2013.)

Upon locating the article by way of Google, it becomes clear that the authors of the OC Department of Education apparently missed this paragraph on the front page:

"Results We found that the e-cigarette vapours contained some toxic substances. The levels of the toxicants were 9–450 times lower than in cigarette smoke and were, in many cases, comparable with trace amounts found in the reference product."

The OC Department of Education apparently also missed the authors' conclusions, stated thus:

"Conclusions Our findings are consistent with the idea that substituting tobacco cigarettes with e-cigarettes may substantially reduce exposure to selected tobacco-specific toxicants. E-cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy among smokers unwilling to quit, warrants further study."

Hattivatti

Jun 1, 2014
Finland
"Results We found that the e-cigarette vapours contained some toxic substances. The levels of the toxicants were 9–450 times lower than in cigarette smoke and were, in many cases, comparable with trace amounts found in the reference product."
The reference product in that study was Nicorette inhaler :) The highest value (9) was a presence of PG.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
FUD, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. It a common tactic of companies, well some, to attack their competition by creating FUD. IBM and Microsoft both employed this tactic, most political campaigns are based on FUD.
Yes it underhand and dishonest but business is business and it's a crime only if you get caught.
Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
They're beefing up the fear mongering now that changeLabSolutions has the path towards collecting puff fines laid out.

change

labsolutions.

org/sites/

default/files/

CA.ECig

DeviceOrdinance-

CHECKLIST-FINAL-

_0.

pdf[/url]

Dbl spaced breaks to ward off the doubly evil spiders.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They're beefing up the fear mongering now that changeLabSolutions has the path towards collecting puff fines laid out.

Funny. I didn't see Anything in the Way of Science in there Planning.

Guess that is Just a Roll Out Plan for those who have Already Made Up there Minds.

BTW - Maybe that Link Needs to be Broken.

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Funny. I didn't see Anything in the Way of Science in there Planning.

Guess that is Just a Roll Out Plan for those who have Already Made Up there Minds.

BTW - Maybe that Link Needs to be Broken.
Fixed. Now it's your turn to fix it in your quotable quotes. :)
No science, just the science of demonizing for collecting fines and fees on people who are not smoking.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

change

labsolutions.

I still like the idea of infiltrating them and following this 5 step process, only with vaping enthusiasts doing the campaigning. And I post this publicly to have their infiltrators realize that for all you know, we are already doing this. We shall enjoy using your strategy against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread