Order other stuff to go with starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Yesterday I ordered the 510 starter kit from Electronic Stix. The only pre-filled cartomizers in stock were the 26 mg, which I suspect "might" be a little much for me, but I'm willing to try it when it gets here. I'm a 1 to 1.5 pack a day light menthol smoker.

I didn't order any blank cartridges or flavors, as I thought I'd start slowly. (They don't sell that many flavors, either.) But the more I've read, it seems those 5 cartomizers might not last long, and I'm also anxious to try some flavors in various nicotine strengths.

Should I be patient for a few days until my kit arrives or should I go ahead and order some extra blank cartomizers and flavors?

ALSO, I work from home, so keeping a battery charged isn't an issue. But should I go ahead and order another one? (Kit comes with two.) Are all 510 batteries interchangeable or do I need to order from Electronic Stix where I bought my kit?

Thanks!

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
Welcome to ECF. You came to the right place for great support and information. I would definitely order about 10 or so empty cartridges, and begin looking around for a juice that you might like. I would try FreedomSmokeUSA and order a few different flavors in small bottles. I would also order some extra batteries and attys.

badbartlby

Sep 23, 2010
minnesota
I just got my ego on Saturday and got some marlb 26 and since I can't seem to put it down my head hurts lol to much nic for me! I was at least a pack and a half a day of marb lights for the last 20 years and can't believe how heavy this hits me. At any rate I just today spent about 80 on a bunch of different juices and accessories. I would say hit vaporbomb or freedomsmokes and order some 3 or 5 mil bottles of other flavors for anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars a piece it's worth it and once you get it you will want to experiment.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Welcome okwriter. I'm from Okla. too...Tulsa. Where are you? If you work from home, you might want to get a USB passthrough pretty soon....you just plug it into your computer USB port and you don't need a battery....save them for when you're out and about. Yes, you will need juice. I order most of my juice from here: VaporBomb.com and they are great. But lots of others will recommend lots of other sites. Juice is pretty subjective. I use attys and carts (instead of cartomizers) and several of those would be handy to have. Cartridges are cheap and necessary for the atomizers. Once you use up the juice in the cartomizers you're getting with your kit, you can refill them, so another reason to get more juice. I started with a 510.....you're gonna love it. I now have a 510 eGo (bigger battery) and I really, really love it. Good luck.....Oh, and depending where you are, I could maybe get some juice to you if you run out before you get an order in. Those cartos aren't going to last very long.

Last edited:

petem

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
va
Welcome!! Any 510 type equipment will fit and work for the most part (some say using a Low resistance atomizer on a regular 510 battery will kill it fast and a charger for a ego type 510 will fry a regular 510 battery) but other than that you are ok. Yes I would get some blank carts and juice (would also get a drip tip if they have one on the site to have on hand since they are cheap). Can also recommend FreedomSmokeUSA they are / were having a sale details here Freedom Smoke USA hope that helps.

Just thought if you spend a lot of time sitting a pass through may be a good item to pickup at some point to save your batteries for when you are mobile.

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks for so many quick replies! And thanks, too, for recommendations on where to order. I hadn't even ventured too far into that yet...information overload!

I also appreciate the info on the passthrough. I had seen that term but wasn't clear on what it was---I guess I hoped that I'd figure some of this stuff out when I actually get the kit in my hands. I'm also wondering about a PCC (portable charger?) for when I'm gone from home for extended periods. Maybe I'll wait on that?

Looks like I have some flavor shopping to do tonight! Thanks again!

PS to JC: I'm in Enid, which is two hours straight west of you on 412.

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
Since you work from home, I would suggest getting a passthrough to use while you're at home instead of recharging your batteries all the time.

You're right that the 5 pre-filled cartomizers won't last you long. I agree with the others to order some juice in various strengths and extra cartomizers. You don't have to buy your parts strictly from the supplier you bought your kit from since you bought a 510. There are many suppliers who sell 510 parts.

Don't be surprised if you need more or less than the 24mg. Some days the 24mg might be too strong for you and other days you might need a bit more, especially if you're having a stressful day. Nobody can tell you what will work for you based on what you smoke and how many you smoke. It truly is a personal matter. I smoked 1 - 1.5 PAD of light menthol for 21 years. I find that right now, I enjoy chain vaping and the amount of mg that I use varies throughout the day. Most of the time I vape between 12mg to 18mg but once in awhile, I want more nicotine so I go for my 36mg for a few pulls, then go back to the 9mg to 12mg.

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
So let me ask you all a question. Are your vaping patterns the same as your smoking patterns? For example, I usually work 45 minutes or an hour, then go outside and smoke. (Yes...outside...even though I work from home!) So if that was how you smoked, do you vape more often (non-stop or every few minutes?) because you can, or do you take "vape breaks" the same as you took "smoke breaks" before?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Enid....yes. We could meet in Morrison or Glencoe (halfway) if we had to.....let me know if you get desperate. Ha. Yes, get some juice for sure. Everything else can wait. The batteries will last maybe 2 hours each with a full charge so you can judge by that whether or not to get a PCC. I would recommend not getting one yet.....see how it goes. You may "outgrow" the 510 in a couple of months....and move up to an eGo (a 510 with a bigger battery...one that will last 5-7 hours per charge) then it would just be a waste. You can buy another battery cheaper than a PCC. In fact, I have a few extra 510 batteries....if you find you need another one, PM me. You'll know more after you get your kit....but for sure you are going to need more liquid. Those 5 cartomizers won't last you anytime at all (couple days) and you don't want to start this journey then have to go back to cigs because you ran out of juice. Really, let me know if you need anything stop-gap until you get outfitted. I have sooooo much 510 stuff. Be prepared....this is addictive. (By this, I mean the whole "hobby" aspect of it.)

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
I'm a stay at home mom and although I know I shouldn't have, I did smoke inside the house. In the 21 years I smoked, I've only lived in two houses where I wasn't allowed to smoke inside and it sucked to have to go outside, even though I lived in California, it still sucked. LOL I find that I vape a lot more than I smoked. I think it's mostly because I can adjust the amount of nicotine that I'm taking in, the flavor is much better than cigarettes and it's a lot less expensive than smoking.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
okwriter, it's hard to grasp it all until you're there, but everything will change when you are a vaper. For one thing, you don't have a cigarette that will burn down to nothing in 7 minutes (or whatever) so that right there will probably force you to change your habits. What happens with vaping is that you can take a puff anytime you want to.....not 15 puffs all at once in a row then it's gone....ya know? So it changes things. I can vape a lot when I'm home playing (here) on the computer. I don't even think about it much....just puff away. But when I'm at work (I teach at OSU in Okmulgee, BTW) I don't vape at all until I'm in the car going or coming. At first I found myself "chain vaping" at home when I could, but being able to go without (when I'm somewhere I can't or wouldn't vape) with none of the "dying for a cig" feeling I used to have. It just all changes. Like, at first you will probably think you need tobacco flavored juice (I did) and that went out the window early on. I love fruit flavors....and coffee flavors. I used to worry that I was vaping more than I was smoking, but even though I chain vape sometimes, I've learned that I'm not getting more nicotine than I used to. I know this because I've tried to smoke a few cigarettes in the 3 months since I've started (YUK) and they make me dizzy like I first started smoking. So by that I'm pretty sure I'm getting less nicotine than I used to. I feel sooooo much better. More energy, I can breathe, I can walk for miles, I climb the stairs at work, etc., etc., etc. It's hard to compare it to smoking.....it's just so darn much better. You are going to be so surprised.

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Oh, gee! I'm getting more excited by the minute! I haven't yet told my DH---he doesn't smoke.
Oh, he's taken a "puff" of mine in the last 20+ years but not very often.
I'll be anxious to see what he thinks of the e-cig, especially since I'm sure he's never even heard of one!

JC, thanks so much for your offer to help me out! I won't hesitate to holler if I have a question! :)

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
One of the things I tell newbies and this is a must! Drink a lot more water than you currently do! Vaping dehydrates you and it can do it pretty quickly too, especially if you chain vape. I used to hate drinking water but now, I'm drinking a lot of it and because I'm now drinking more water than I did Cokes, I've lost a bit of weight! Personally, I can't stand to drink warm water, so I keep a jug of tap water in the frig.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
FireHorse, I have lost weight too! Go figure! And I agree about the water....didn't used to like it that much. I used to drink soooo much coffee. Now I vape coffee instead! LOL Really. It's something I've noticed...less coffee. In trying to answer okwriter's questions, I've realized just how much things have changed since I've started vaping. I can remember (vaguely...and it's only been 3 months!!) having the same questions....and now it's such a different world...(better!) it's hard to answer some of them. I remember trying really, really hard (math!! Ugh!! I'm an English teacher for goodness sakes!!) to figure out how much juice or how many carts would equal how many cigarettes. I remember assuming I'd use the PV exactly the same way I used cigarettes. I remember thinking I HAD to have a juice that tasted just like my cigarette brand. I remember wanting a PV that looked as much like a cigarette as possible. And now, that all seems so long ago and so far away. Newbies are good to remind us all of how much things have changed....for the better. It's hard not to just gush about these things and totally overload a newbie with too much information. But we can't just say none of that's going to count.

Every time a new vaper comes on here asking questions, I get so excited I just want to talk their head off about how they are not going to believe this! Then I can't wait to hear back from them as to how it went the first time. I love this place. Ha.

Last edited:

okwriter

Sep 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I'll keep that in mind about the water. Does anyone know WHY it tends to dehydrate you? Just curious...

Part of what inspired me to try this was the enthusiasm of you veteran vapers. Everyone seems so excited about it and about the constantly evolving options. I'm also inspired by so many who have given up "analogs" for vaping. If you all can do it, I have some hope that I can, too!

Tinman402

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
pulaski, tn
First.. I hate cartidges... I am so glad I ordered 2 XL cartomizers when I ordered my kit. I figured I would try it both ways right off the bat.. I ordered 2 5ml bottles of juice (both 24mg nic)... That was a mistake. Too strong, I had the jitters... I hated the cartridges cause it seen right away I would be refilling them all the time.. The carto I filled and got plenty of vaping before topping off again.. I did not order enough juice. I almost ran out before order 2 came in.

MY second order I decided to try a LR atty and drip tip and several 10ml bottles of different flavors and 5 pack of regular 510 cartomizers. 10ml is about right to get a gauge of if the flavor works for you.. I find I have to vape it a few days before I really get the feel for the flavor.. The LR and the drip tip is awesome for that first vape of the day and after meals or having a beer.. The cartos work great when out about in town...

My 3rd order was nothing but juices and a 2 306 LR attys with drip tip... 2 30ml bottles of juices I tagged as I really like and a few bottles of juices to try...

The time between order one to order 3 was about 12 days..lol...

SO in short order a variety of things to try and you will find what you like and hone your vaping experience...It varies for everyone..

this place helped a lot ... Happy vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread