Ordered mesh off ebay and had the wrong address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escapereality

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Bluegrass
So I ordered some 400x400 mesh off ebay, and I hadn't really used ebay for a while so the addresses on there were old. I didn't notice it until I had already paid (I was thinking it pulled from my paypal address). I sent a message to the seller immediately and gave them the correct address. They replied saying the shipping address was changed and it would be shipped to there.

I check the tracking today and it says it's going to a different city/state than my current address, which must have been another address that was listed on my ebay account.

Am I liable for this? I mean in the message I sent the buyer (an order change request) I had listed very clearly the address for it to be shipped to. They acknowledged receipt of the email and stated the address would be changed. I'm not sure how they got the address they actually shipped it to, it is a previous residence I was at but it seems like they just pulled another random address off my ebay account.

I sent them a message and they've yet to respond...just curious if anyone has any insight here...I'm willing to eat the $15.00 if it's my fault, but I thought I had corrected the issue. Turns out they just picked another address off my ebay account and sent it there.

Update: The supplier I purchased from is sending me another 12x12 sheet of 400 mesh. Very nice of them. The username is marykoffer or something like that on ebay if you're interested in purchasing mesh from them.

TLDR: Purchased mesh off ebay, noticed address was wrong. Sent them an email requesting they change it, supplied the correct address and they confirmed that it had been changed. They ended up changing it to another wrong address that was listed on my ebay account even though they confirmed that they had changed it to the correct address which I supplied via email.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
There are a few addresses listed in your ebay preferences- three if I remember correctly. There's a fourth that is linked to your paypal account.

I've had issues with this since I started using ebay, both as a buyer (I had to pay extra $$ ot the local post office for them to forward a package from my old address to my current one), AND as a seller. As a seller, you will not qualify for seller protection if you ship a package to an address other than the one listed as either your "primary" address, or to the paypal billing address.

Call the post office out where the package is headed, and notify them you'll need it forwarded. Otherwise, it may get returned to the seller and they'll probably work something out with you.

nomi

Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Back when I used to sell a lot on ebay, I would only ship to the buyers confirmed address on paypal. That's what most sellers do to avoid any future disputes on paypal where the buyer might say that they never received the package or what not. Not saying that you would do such a thing but there are all kinds of people out there.

In the listing does it state that item will be shipped to paypal confirmed address? If it does then what is your confirmed address on paypal?

The seller cannot just pick an address from your ebay account. Ebay will provide them a shipping address which by default is your primary shipping address on your ebay account.

nomi

Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Houston, TX
There are a few addresses listed in your ebay preferences- three if I remember correctly. There's a fourth that is linked to your paypal account.

I've had issues with this since I started using ebay, both as a buyer (I had to pay extra $$ ot the local post office for them to forward a package from my old address to my current one), AND as a seller. As a seller, you will not qualify for seller protection if you ship a package to an address other than the one listed as either your "primary" address, or to the paypal billing address.

Call the post office out where the package is headed, and notify them you'll need it forwarded. Otherwise, it may get returned to the seller and they'll probably work something out with you.

If the seller requested signature verification, and no one signs for the package, it will be sent back to the seller. I used to add signature verification with all orders above $50. Other sellers may not. If no signature verification was requested then the PO will just drop it at the shipped address and move on. It will be up to the current resident of that address if they choose to keep it,return it to the PO,throw it in the trash etc etc. Its better if you call the PO and try to sort it out before it is delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread