organic cotton "whitend with Hydrogen Peroxide"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showbird

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2014
Rison, Arkansas, United States
I went to 2 different stores looking for organic cotton for my builds. Now it is listed on the packages " whitened with hydrogen peroxide or bleach" on the products. I picked up a package that said "hydrogen Peroxide", because i have used that same product before. I am not sure if this is something new with the product or if they finally listed it on the packaging.

what would be the side effects of using organic cotton that has been whitened with HP? I did not see any product that was not
"whitened" with some kind of chemical.

Any knowledgeable comment is welcomed.

Torrentula81

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
nowheres
H202 breaks down into water and oxygen. There's not unhealthy about water and oxygen, right? And when have you opened up a bag of cotton balls that are wet with hydrogen peroxide? Never, right? That means the H202 is long gone.

This person has the right idea, almost. Hydrogen peroxide has an extra oxygen molecule vs water. So if the product is dry there is no hydrogen peroxide to worry about. My issue would be the stabilizers they put into it to preserve shelf life that might stick around on the cotton after the fact. Here is nice article. Its really a personal choice at how far your going to take this safety thing. For example here is a thread where some people no longer use flavorings because of potential health issues even if its marketed as diacetyl free by the manufacturers.

I don't boil my cotton and I use flavorings. Compared to to cigs I figure I'm still way ahead. I've made that choice. Do some research and decide for yourself how far your going to take this health thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread