other than sterling silver what other choice are there for non-resistance wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have recently been using a silica type tank system that uses resistance wire and non-resistance wire. I was told to use sterling silver which works great, but Im still playing around getting it fine tuned and sterling silver is kinda costly. I was wondering if there was another material that works as well as sterling but not as expensive? Thanks for any suggestions

AManavidfan, I use silver but it is very soft & fragile. I also use 32 awg pure nickel wire, as low/minimal resistance wire. I got mine from "this Ebay seller". It is often easier to work with & always less pricey than silver.

8N9cC.gif

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
A silica type tank system refers to the wick? We use SS = stainless steel, i have never heard of using sterling silver for a wick? Perhaps you are reading the SS as sterling rather than stainless?

I meant the wire for non-resistance part of the wire. I use kanthal for the resistance part twisted with the sterling for the non-resistance part. I wrap that around my silica wick.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
AManavidfan, I use silver but it is very soft & fragile. I also use 32 awg pure nickel wire, as low/minimal resistance wire. I got mine from "this Ebay seller". It is often easier to work with & always less pricey than silver.

8N9cC.gif

Thank you so much for the information and the link, many thanks, my atomizer will be very happy

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I got some from there too, good price. But I was just wondering if there were other choices. I try to reuse the sterling when possible, I feel bad wasting such a beautiful metal.

So let me get this straight. You have an atty that cost more than a smartphone, on a mod that cost even more, and you think that 50 cents a foot for silver wire is "expensive"?

I mean, a foot of non-res wire is enough to do like what, 20 rebuilds? So you are looking at just over 2 cents per rebuild, for a coil on one of the best attys in the world? AND you can re-use the sterling wire when your coils burn out, so it actually costs even less, in the long run.

That's like complaining that the oil change in a Ferrari Testerossa is to expensive...

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
PhreakySTS9, I got mine from riogrande, it was $20.90 for 100 feet when I ordered it a month or so ago. Shipping to the east cost from NM was $4.49. I did get a few other small items & am not sure if they added to the shipping.

8N9cC.gif

Wow rio grande is an awesome site, so many cool tools for rebuilding, wow, thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread