The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Oumier VLS RDA (The vert builder's dream?)

Discussion in 'RDA' started by cigatron, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. lupinehorror

lupinehorror numpty wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    as do i! maybe a new thread at some point...
    started winding a few coils with the VLS in mind...think they'll need to a bit beefier than this morning's effort...flat wire...ID 3.5mm

• Like Like x 1
  2. cigatron

cigatron Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    I'm thinking 2.5mm-2.75mm coils for dual verts using the thru-post afc (with coils set more inboard). I'll also try 3mm vert coils set more outboard with top cap rotated 90° (not using thru-post afc)
    I'll be trying dual horz and single coil configs too but dual verts is where I'll start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    looking forward to seeing your results. i don't normally go below 3mm for the ID as otherwise i struggle a bit with wicking. large, clumsy, fingers and less than 20/20 vision...

• Like Like x 2
  4. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    The flavor, The Flaaaavoooor!!! If your on the fence, get off.

On the trusty DNA200
    IMG_20180124_183140_400-1.jpg

Dual verts with the provided 3.5mm NiCr80 flat wire core claptons.
    IMG_20180124_183420_051-1.jpg

Hot spot at the top of this coil. I never got along with NiCr80 claptons.
    IMG_20180124_183323_681-1.jpg

Machining is fine, grub screws work great with provided 3-way screwdriver, no machine oil taste, super easy to build on and wicking the verts is very easy with the base removed. Just pull the wicks down through the bottom, trim off flush then snip the tops off.
    Next step is to lob in up some 26/36 SS fused claptons (something I can trust to fire right).

Note: The base has left hand threading so "righty-loosy, lefty-tighty on this one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. brianc11111

brianc11111 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    cincinnati
    Just ordered mine from eciggity. I plan on putting a 4.76mm id flatwire single coil in it. I'm thinking it is going to be as Morten Oen would say"otherworldly"

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Hey, that's great. Gotta be almost a half dozen peeps on this thread with VLS's on order. It'll be fun comparing builds. Welcome to the thread @brianc11111 .

• Like Like x 3
  7. lupinehorror

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    woohoo! excellent.

8. Partspro

Partspro Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2014
    Winneconne,WI,USA
    Got my pair in today from eciggity a day earlier than expected. Built one tonight, dual vertical, 26 gauge 316L stainless. Very impressed with flavor, a little bit airy compared to what I am used to, but flavor and density is a couple steps better than my Drop with the same build horizontal.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    If you have time I would like to see a pic or two. What power level are you running and where is your afc set?

10. Partspro

Oct 18, 2014
    Winneconne,WI,USA
    I IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

Running .24 ohms, 60 Watts on temp control at 430 degrees. I have the cap turned so the airflow is directly to the coils, just like Mike Vapes video and the little instruction page shows. You can see in the pics that I have the coils pushed out as close to the cap as I can get them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    Those little coils are sooooo cute! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Partspro

Oct 18, 2014
    Winneconne,WI,USA
    Hey, they work.....:)

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Looks good. The flavor with the VLS is a 1/2 notch above many of my other recent rdas already but I need to experiment with some different configs.
    Tip: If you wind your coils the other direction (counterclockwise) it will be easier to set the vert coils further outboard.
    I wound my coils counterclockwise and didn't pull them out at all. Comparing your coil set to mine I'd say yours are only outboard further by 1-1.5mm. That begs the question, have you tried the thru-post afc? Mine makes MUCH better flavor allowing the air to come in through the posts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Partspro

Oct 18, 2014
    Winneconne,WI,USA
    Yeah, as I was putting the coils in, I had the exact same thought, wind that backward next time!
    I do plan on building my second one with verticals side by side right up the center to compare. May not get to that for a couple days.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Got rid of the provided 3.5mm NiCr80 coils and wound up a pair of 3mm 26/36g SS fused claptons and installed them vertically in the same position as @Partspro (outside edge of coils protruding approxp 1-1.5mm past the vertical edge of the deck posts). Flavor was not as good as the original coil placement so I pushed the coils inboard exactly where I had the first coils (outside edge of coils flush with vertical edge of deck posts)....the killa flava is back!!

IMG_20180127_153755_917-1.jpg
    IMG_20180127_153928_405-1.jpg

Next I need to work on keeping the top of the coils saturated better. In squonk mode I get a tiny tiny bit of dryhit-ish flavor on the 3rd chain vape pull after squonking. Not sure if it's the low height of the squonk pin just not leaving much juice in the well after suckback or just a vert coil phenomenon. This is my most successful vert build to date but I'm not a vert builder. Maybe a seasoned vert builder will chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. brianc11111

brianc11111 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    cincinnati
    verticals do better when you drip. when squonking, the top of the coil doesn't get the juice required of high performance hot coils. not alot you can do about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Thanks, that's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    I did a dual vertical coils build with 28ga(I wanted to use 26ga. but I had run out) 316SS, 6 wraps 3mm id and reading at 0.42 ohms. I've been using it primarily as a squonker, but dripping on vertical coils is great. Just drip from the top and when the juice flows down, it basically paints the coils for you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cigatron

May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    Nice build @Roadtrip635 . You running that build at around 60w? How's the flavor compare to your other attys?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    I've run it mostly in TC at 420F, but also in power mode at 38watts. I've been pushing the top of my wicks towards the center, so there is not a visible space from above. It forces the air around the coils better and helped boost the flavor. The flavor is very good, not quite as good as my Drop, which I love, but pretty close. I run a very different build in my Drop though. I've run vertical coils in my old Griffin RTA before that I really liked, so this RDA is gonna be fun to try some different builds with.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.