Overloaded!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloh

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Hello everyone. Just getting started and have questions about e cigarettes. I've been smoking for 15 years and want to maybe pick the lesser of 2 evils.... the e cigarette. So for all of you, who use this device, is it like smoking a regular cigarette or is it like a ....? Perhaps I smoked the .... the wrong way, but i took a full breath in with my lungs. Cigarettes i usually just draw with my mouth let the smoke plume then inhale. Hope this was clear enough. Thanks for the answer in advance.

Jessara

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
SW Oklahoma
Hi Melloh, welcome to ECF and the world of vaping!

E-cigs are not really like a cigarette (commonly referred to here as "analogs"). For starters, there's nothing to "light up", no burning of tobacco (no tobacco at all actually), no smoke. E-cigs (or "pv" - personal vaporizer) consists of a battery that heats up the atomizer (atty) that then turns the e-liquid into vapor. So in short, it's really not like a cigarette, or a .....

As for "how" people using their pv's, some draw the vapor into their mouth first, and then inhale (that's my preferred method), and some inhale directly into their lungs. It's really just a matter of preference, neither way is "right" or "wrong".

Hope this helps - let us know if you have any more questions.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Melloh - what you said is the best way to "vape" an e-cigarette. Drag a mouthful of vapor, maybe let a bit waft out so you can smell the aroma and then inhale. Sometimes I do the inhale harder/faster than I would have with a cigarette because it can be a bit tougher to get TH with some juices and and an e-cigarette.

It's good to let your nose get some of the aroma because unlike cigarettes, an e-cigarettes does not make vapor on it's way to your face. And since the tongue can only sense simple flavors like sweet, salty, sour, etc. the aroma is a big part of flavor.

And BTW - most people recommend manual batteries unless you have a need to vape hands-free. With automatic batteries you have to drag more or take and extra short drag to get the atomizer warmed up. With manual you press the button then about 1/2-1 second later start dragging, and 1+ seconds before your drag is done you can let up on the button and finish dragging out the already-created vapor. So basically you just push the button a bit earlier than the start of your drag, and let it up a bit before the end of your drag. After doing it about an hour it will become second nature. You have more control over your drag with a manual.

if you are overwhelmed, look in the sticky threads of New Members. Watch the newbie videos. Then if you look in the the thread with Library in its title it will take you to a good multi-part illustrated guide including some cpopular models (BTW it also shows the Blu but many people are not happy with that model or any super-mini for very long)

And don't buy anything if you don't know what model it really is, whether it is a good model, whether you are paying too much for it or extra parts, whether it locks you into one vendor's supplies. And don't sign up for any free trials. All cigarette shape e-cigarettes are made by a handful of Chinese companies and the best ones are all available under their orginal model numbers or names for reasonable prices and usually with multiple vendors.

Last edited:

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Spend $30 on a kit and get a bottle of eliquid and try it.Its better than smoking and i honestly think you will be shocked and amazed how easy it is.

So for less than a carton of cigs you can quit.You should choose an Ego/Riva type,Liberty Flights has them for $30 when you add the code.Then add in a bottle juice.Easy as pie!

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Spend $30 on a kit and get a bottle of eliquid and try it.Its better than smoking and i honestly think you will be shocked and amazed how easy it is.

So for less than a carton of cigs you can quit.You should choose an Ego/Riva type,Liberty Flights has them for $30 when you add the code.Then add in a bottle juice.Easy as pie!

+1 Great advice!!

Melloh

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Wow guys thanks for all the posts. This is truly a great forum! I'd be posting some more in the Canadian forum if I wasn't a new member. Unfortunately I've noticed I'm quite limited to the variety of e cigarettes here.
Great responses to my question cause I wouldn't want to take a full inhale with the lungs. It hustwouldnt feel like I was smoking an analog. Since I'm not too clear on if I should start a new thread or just hijack my own. I'll just start another to keep things legit. Thanks again guys!!! I really appreciate the input.

Kenji

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Ca
Well first up .... its really doesn't feel like an analog .... the smoke (vapor) wasn't thick enough where as you feel it going into your lungs (was using a 901 so other models could be different i'm not sure). BUT it does curb the craving for a analog, where as when I wanted to smoke i would go vape on the 901 for about 5-10 mins and when I was done ... hmmm i dont want to smoke any more and so on. Now i look forward to vaping and do not really have a craving for any analog at all but dont get me wrong if at a time you wanted to have an analog ... I say go right ahead because most of us can not just go cold turkey and stop. Having 1 or 2 is better then having your 1-2 pack a day so if it helps you cut back go ahead. and WELCOME to ECF

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Here we generally buy the better basic models at their correct price and not crippled in any way.

510, DSE901, KR808D-1 and their fat long-lasting battery versions Ego or Riva 510 (based on 510), and I think there is a Riva 901, and Elegant Easy (based on KR808D-1).

A couple of other somewhat popular models are RN4081, and long penstyle ones (one might be DSE801? not sure). And some people like more exotic mods that don't look like a cigarette at all.

Only some people who smoked lights or ultralights can get by on a super-mini and the best of those are M401/M402 (M401 by length is a mini but still has the small annoying carts of a super-mini - I know - I vape M401 and others), and Joye 306 which is hard to find except as parts (though Janty Mini-fogger might be a Joye 306 - not sure).

You'll see a lot of other "name" models on the web with "testimonials" and "reviews" (I am using quotes on purpose) but for many of them, you will be locked into that one model and whatever prices the vendor charges for things like extra batteries etc. (some charge 3x what a battery should cost). Some of them use not very good Chinese wholesaler models nobody likes for more than a month. Some of the rebranded carto models are not bad but the cartos may be designed to make refilling harder etc. There are also some good rebranders like Vapor4Life that sell a good popular model in nicer colors or logos, charge reasonable prices, nothing is crippled, and the model is still compatible with the the original model. Just know what you are buying.

Last edited:

Kenji

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Ca
Here we generally buy the better basic models at their correct price and not crippled in any way.

510, DSE901, KR808D-1 and their fat long-lasting battery versions Ego or Riva 510 (based on 510), and I think there is a Riva 901, and Elegant Easy (based on KR808D-1).

A couple of other somewhat popular models are RN4081, and long penstyle ones (one might be DSE801? not sure). And some people like more exotic mods that don't look like a cigarette at all.

Only some people who smoked lights or ultralights can get by on a super-mini and the best of those are M401/M402 (M401 by length is a mini but still has the small annoying carts of a super-mini - I know - I vape M401 and others), and Joye 306 which is hard to find except as parts (though Janty Mini-fogger might be a Joye 306 - not sure).

You'll see a lot of other "name" models on the web with "testimonials" and "reviews" (I am using quotes on purpose) but for many of them, you will be locked into that one model and whatever prices the vendor charges for things like extra batteries etc. (some charge 3x what a battery should cost). Some of them use not very good Chinese wholesaler models nobody likes for more than a month. Some of the rebranded carto models are not bad but the cartos may be designed to make refilling harder etc. There are also some good rebranders like Vapor4Life that sell a good popular model in nicer colors or logos, charge reasonable prices, nothing is crippled, and the model is still compatible with the the original model. Just know what you are buying.

Guru !!!!!!!!

wlp5

Jan 10, 2011
Barcelona
It's different than an analog.

I'm on my day 3 and so far I think
- If you're not in the mindset to quit analogs, then don't bother. You will find "wrongs" on e-cigs and go back.
- Do your research and get something good to start. It's better than getting a crappy one and thinking all of them are the same. For the record, I started with an ego but plan to try out other ones in the future. I'm very happy with it so far.
- Do your research on the liquids too. If any doubt on the strength, go stronger.
- For me, it is now better than analogs. I can keep vaping it all day without stinking and my throat burning. And I wake up in the morning without my mouth feeling like an ashtray.

Hope that helps.

Melloh

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Canada
Thanks dormouse for all the info. Like I've mentioned before I'm just too lazy to do research.
wlp5, i was hoping to purchase a BB from altsmoke, but I'm still waiting for a response from them. I'm trying not to get a crappy one, just cause in my head I really want to stop all these harsh chemicals going into my system. I'm actually stuck since altsmoke hasn't responded, I might break down an grab an ego from Canada. Less hassle than getting altsmoke to respond, send it to my friend who's staying in Illinois for 5 days of her work week, then eventually waiting for her to come back on the weekend to pass it off to me. Then there's the added worry of the border, which I'm not too clear on. I'm sure these devices are allowed to be imported since we have some suppliers here in Canada. I'm just stuck with this dilemma to break down and grab an ego or just wait a bit longer and possibly get what i want. Oh well I'm still set on trying to purchase a BB. It's got the size that's reasonable, plus it's got battery life for a person who smokes a pack and a bit a day. In addition to that, although it's not recommended, I've seen people slip 2 cr2 batteries in it to hop it up to 6v!! Or like I've seen before and have read about, the LR atomizers work well with this unit at 3.7v. Anyhow, hope they come through for me. I'd hate to get something I'm just OK with, opposed to something i really want. Again guys great forum with a lot of informed users. Thanks again.

wlp5

Jan 10, 2011
Barcelona
I didn't know of the BB but it looks pretty good. I would be worried about not having easy access to accessories though.

After I got my starter kit, I placed another order for liquids the next day and then the next day another one for more attys. Though I live in Europe and from Janty I get next day delivery, I am now terrified of getting stuck without replacement parts in case I need them.

I'm with you on the smoking part, I used to smoke more than a pack/day. Since I got mine, I've been vaping it pretty much constantly throughout the day to make sure I don't get any cravings. I'm using 16mg liquids with some 24mg once in a while and I don't get any cravings nor any nico poisoning effects.

Also got the ego case, so now I go out with a complete ego , spare battery (just in case, it does last a whole day), spare atty, a couple of cartidges to use when in a hurry and a bottle or two for dripping which is what I usually do.

My advice from my limited experience, if you determine that you don't have easy access to liquids and parts, stock up good on every order. Better to spend $20 more than getting stuck with something missing. After all, what's $20 for your health and enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread