Status
Not open for further replies.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I'm new to both this forum and vaping. I relied on I-don't-know-what, and bought my first kit from Apollo, my second from White Cloud. After digging around in various places, especially this Forum, I'm now using Halo G6 and Triton, both of which I'm happy with, along with Tribeca.

But, after exploring this Forum some, I've become overwhelmed by the variety of hardware and software (juice) that's out there. How does anyone possibly figure out what's best, most functional, most performant, tastiest, and on and on. It's a full time job just sorting through it all.

Any thoughts?

Amiaji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
North Carolina
I'm new to all this too. It can be a bit overwhelming at first. Unfortunately it is all a matter of trial and error. Each person is different. I believe it is best to keep it simple at first. A decent kit and a few flavors. I started at 18mg/ml and found I needed a bit more at times so I went to 24mg/ml. What ever keeps you off the analogs is the way to go. It gets easier as time goes on and then you can worry about better hardware and the like.

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
It can become overwhelming only if you let it be. Whatever works for you is the best setup money can buy. What may work for you doesn't work for someone else and vice versa. The possibilities are endless. I blew through a thick sum of money trying to find my favorite setup and found it at last, months later and a couple hundred bucks short. I prefer a rebuildable dripping atomizer (RDA) with a microcoil and cotton ball wick at around .7ohm-1ohm. The flavor it produces for my taste buds is unmatched. I also prefer a mechanical mod for various reasons. They are usually built solid and since I do low resistance I feel I get enough power from them. Less chances of ending up with a useless cylinder or box due to the lack of chip and circuitry. Also like that they don't have limitations soI can push them harder if I wanted to.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Half the problem when your new is figuring out what you want. Then you have to find what fills that need. The worst part is, when you get it all figured out, they come out with something new!

My general obvseration after several months of doing this is that a pair of VV ego style bateries and a half dozen either Evod or T2 clearos, depending how you like your vape, and a juice in a simple flavor you enjoy the taste of eating going 18%nic at 70pg-30vg will work for 80% of beginning vapors.

-Never buy a lot of any thing the first time
-Back up for back ups
-Stay away from the stinkies !

nobreak1970

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Hartford, Alabama USA
Welcome to ECF!

Ok there are 2 camps here. People that spends lots of money because vaping is a hobby/lifestyle. The other camp just wants to quit smoking and get support for that purpose. Pick a camp! Nah just kidding, ECF is very overwhelming but don't let it get to you. Lots of great people here.
Just putting it out there for you. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
what's best, most functional, most performant, tastiest, and on and on. It's a full time job just sorting through it all.

Any thoughts?

Since such a thing doesn't exist, don't worry. We're all searching. ;)

If you like mini batteries, you're set for a while--Halo G6 is a good setup. If you want to upgrade to a larger (sharpie sized or box shaped) battery that will last much longer and offer some fun features, check variable voltage (and wattage) batteries like eGo-C Twist, Spinner, iTaste VV or MVP. :) But that will involve moving to the wonderful world of the 510 connection.

Welcome and happy vaping!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
It's no harder or more varied than say, buying a car. Loads of models, colors, options, power, and on and on...:facepalm: but you have a bunch if nice people here willing to help.
You sound like you found something that kills the craving for smoking, a great first step...:toast:
Read a bit and if you see something interesting mentioned, pipe up and ask if it doesn't make sense...:) (I promise you will not get flamed, because we all were where you are now) Search around for info and if you get really stumped there is a section called "Ask The Veterans" it has questions, and just one or two answers from long time users. (I spent a long time reading in there starting out:blush:)

The way I handled the buying urges, I figured out what 1/2 of what I spent on smokes was fair game for any vape gear I wanted. Once I had enough of a stock of juice, I turned to mods, different batteries, attys, catros, tanks galore...always staying under the 1/2 of smoke cost budget. I was amazed how much stuff I accumulated while still saving money over what I had spent on cigarettes...:)

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm new to both this forum and vaping. I relied on I-don't-know-what, and bought my first kit from Apollo, my second from White Cloud. After digging around in various places, especially this Forum, I'm now using Halo G6 and Triton, both of which I'm happy with, along with Tribeca.

But, after exploring this Forum some, I've become overwhelmed by the variety of hardware and software (juice) that's out there. How does anyone possibly figure out what's best, most functional, most performant, tastiest, and on and on. It's a full time job just sorting through it all.

Any thoughts?

Are you smoking? Is you current setup working for you?

If so, stick with what you have and just read- no need to rush into buying more supplies.

If it's not enough- battery not lasting long enough or you're still smoking, maybe move up to something with a longer battery life or variable voltage. You can pick up a ego twist or spinner. I'm not sure if your current cartomizers will work but you could get a 808 to 510 adapter to use your cartomizers on a 510 (ego) battery.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
How does anyone possibly figure out what's best, most functional, most performant, tastiest, and on and on.
It's no harder or more varied than say, buying a car. Loads of models, colors, options, power, and on and on...:facepalm:
I think Stosh's analogy is apt in more than one way. There is a lot of variety out there. And there are lots of people with lots of different preferences. There is no single best vehicle (bicycle, car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, etc.) that matches everyone's desires for cost, performance, size, build quality, fuel efficiency, etc. Similarly, there is no single best personal vaporizer that matches everyone's desires for cost, performance, build quality, battery life, etc. One vaper is seeking a powerful lung hit, for example, and another vaper doesn't even inhale vapor into his lungs at all.

As with a vehicle, the trick is finding what meets your needs and desires. It doesn't really matter what other people want, because if you're looking for a safe way to transport 3 kids to soccer practice you're probably not going to buy a vintage Harley motorcycle, no matter what the quality and price.

So we do things like listing the qualities we're looking for and comparing reviews to find the best matches....

Finding the best vape to you and like finding your paradise, it's molded and different to who you are. The best thing I found out was is to make a post of your question and be as detailed as possible. For example if your looking for a specific juice that you would like to try maybe add in things like what nic strength you like, PG/VG ratio what device your vaping on and what flavors you are hoping to get. Maybe even make a comparison with a widely known juice you've vaped. Also keep in mind there's no such thing as dumb questions, as vaping is still an infant compared to many other things it has caught on like wildfire so it's obvious there's going to be a lot of questions.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Welcome to the Jungle, full of traps and confusion. The best advice I can give, is to search, research, review and compare, what is available. Then find the form and style that you like, then find the best quality device in the style. Then find the best price for that gear and start there. Anything that gets one off smoking and into enjoying a good vape is the best choice for them. There a just so many options out there. It's like buying a new car or anything else.

Welcome to the ECF and enjoy your journey.

show

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Kansas
When it comes to ejuice. You really can't go wrong with a website that has reviews and rating system. This way you can what others have thought about the product. I'm new too and already have over 10 bottles of crap I will probably never vape on. But it's definitely trial and error. I have come across 2 so far that I will vape everyday and that Gorilla Juice and Smoothol.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
There are a few very popular juice vendors with reviews on flavors here at ECF. Mt. Baker Vapor and ECBlends have a good selection of inexpensive juices. Here are a couple of other threads to read.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...discussion/304212-top-5-vendors-e-liquid.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/446286-ahlusion-e-juice.html (lots of tobacco juice talk and discussion of their other flavors)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/274904-natural-tobaccos.html (this thread has a lot of talk of juice qualities and tobacco flavors)

If you get interested in trading some of your juices to try new flavors these will be worth looking into.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-please-read-first-post-rules-guidelines.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-please-read-first-post-rules-guidelines.html

Deals and saving money are always good.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/418767-deals-steals.html

This should keep you busy for quite a while and hopefully you will find some useful information along the way.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yep...there's a bit to learn. That's true with anything really. You'd think a loaf of bread was a simple thing. Nope. Try being a professional bread baker and make artisan breads. Or a pencil. Do you know how an eraser is made? What wood to use? How to formulate the graphite? So with anything, there are details.

The good news is that you don't have to worry much about all of the details. Trying different options is fun. Frustrating at times, but fun too.

Another way to look at it: If you were underwhelmed...you'd just go back to smoking. You're overwhelmed because you have lots of options...and options = freedom to choose. It requires trial and error. You'll get there.

So don't give up. Try stuff. Find something that works. Take it slowly. Lots of little successes....and the "failures" don't count!

Welcome to ECF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread