Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

OXVA Velocity LE Kit ~ A review by AngeNZ

5093brv-jpg.983245

Introduction:​

This device was sent to me from Sourcemore for the purposes of an unpaid, neutral review. I've really enjoyed putting this device through its paces over the past two weeks. It features something for new vapers and us older vapers alike.

The Oxva Velocity LE kit brings out new designs for this 21700 feature packed device. Along with being a 5ml top-filling pod mod, the Velocity kit includes a strong 510 adaptor to convert it to a 21700 box mod. There's also a Unipro RBA available for purchase, which gives you even more flexibility. It boasts a non-leaking design and being the world's smallest 21700 box mod. Included with this kit are two Unipro coils, a 0.3Ω and a 0.15Ω coil.

It has four designs available including the Carbon fibre I received:

colours-jpg.983259

Specifications:

Output Power: 5-100W
    Chip Output Type: Photon Buck-boost
    Mode: Smart/Power/Volt
    Output Voltage: 0.5-8.0V
    Battery: 21700/20700/18650 Battery (battery sold separately)
    Unipro Cartridge Capacity: 5ml
    Cartridge Compatibility: Unipro & Unicoil Cartridge
    Coils
    Unipro: 0.15Ω/ 0.3 Ω/ RBA
    Unicoil: (requires Unicoil cartridge - not included) 0.2ohm / 0.3ohm / 0.5ohm / 1.0ohm / RBA
    Resistance Range: 0.1-2.5ohm
    Drip Tip: 510 Drip Tip
    Refill: Top Refill
    Airflow Control: Internal Adjustable Airflow
    Charging: Type-C / 5V / 2.5A
    Screen Size: 0.69" OLED
    Size: 120*35*27mm
    Weight: 147g
    Material: Zinc Alloy+PCTG+ABS/Leather

ingred-jpg.983260

The contents of this LE kit version do differ from Oxva's original Velocity kit. You receive only the Unipro cartridge/tank. The Unicoil cartridge/tank needs to be purchased separately. And you no longer have a tool to remove the 510 adapter - more about how to that below.

Tank and Coils:​

The 5ml Unipro tank (cartridge) is a simple design, but one that has clearly been designed to deliver. It uses a standard 510 drip tip, so you can also use your own. The airflow adjustment is via a metal ring, which screws onto your coil:
    tankcoilinsert-jpg.983254

The airflow adjustment ranges from a restricted direct lung (RDL) to a wide open direct lung (DL).

To set up your tank you need to screw on the airflow ring to the base of your coil and then push the coil up into the tank. There's 2 notches either side of where the airflow ring/coil sits. If you align the airflow ring's open sides to the airflow slots on the mod, it seats evenly.

The tank has a top-fill rubber port, which of course you open to fill it up with juice. Out of all the pod tank rubber ports I've used, this is up with those at the top. It's strong and well fitted and I love that it is a top-fill pod tank.

If you find your tank it is gurgly, or leaking, or flooding, your coil hasn't been inserted properly. Do I know this purely from my experience after 4 years of vaping? Nope, I messed up, didn't push my coil in right and it gurgled. You hear a slight click sound when it's in place properly.

On the subject of leaking: here's my mod after using the pod tank for two weeks, with correctly installed coils!
    deck-jpg.983261

There's two coils available for this Unipro tank and you receive both. There's also an RBA available for those of us who enjoy our own coils.

coils-jpg.983264

0.3Ω Coil:

As you can see from the above photo, this coil looks a bit more restricted than the 0.15Ω coil. But with the airflow adjuster set wide open, it's still on the looser side of a RDL. This is my happy spot. There's plenty of room with the airflow adjuster to tighten down to your own preference.

I started it at 20 watts, with a berry flavour. Straight away I was getting plenty of flavour, vapour and a smooth cooler vape. Up at 30 watts is where it shines for me. The flavour is top notch, dense and smooth vapour and it's a slightly warm vape. Up at 40 watts I got even more flavour and vapour, and it's a warm vape.

I don't normally pay much attention to the manufacturer's recommended wattage, but for this coil they've got it spot on.

0.15Ω Coil:

With the airflow wide open, I started it at 40 watts and got great flavour and vapour. Up at 50 watts was my personal sweet spot, still a coolish vape, fantastic flavour and plenty of vapour. 60 watts was of course warmer, but I did get slightly better flavour and clouded out the room. 70 watts was too warm for my tastes, however the flavour is still top notch and it was extremely cloudy.

If you are new to vaping, please make sure you are using an appropriate battery for your wattage. Check Mooch's recommended batteries tables if you are unsure:
    Mooch's Recommended Batteries

Device:​

This is a gorgeous device. For a 21700 pod mod it is tiny. Even compared to some 18650 pod mods, it's small. The Velocity is also an ergonomic mod to hold and use. It is grippy and has no sharp edges. It has a battery hinged door, which slides and clicks into place firmly. The buttons are responsive and clicky, and not annoyingly loud. With a 21700 battery and full pod tank, it weighs 208 grams. It's a solid, well made, quality device.

This is my first Oxva mod and I've found the Photon chip fantastic. It fires extremely fast and it reads the coil's resistance accurately. When comparing how it hits wattage-wise to my other mods, it's right near the top. I like that it's a buck-boost chip as it means that even when your battery is nearly flat, it's still giving you full power. The battery life, even with an 18650 is very good. I'm now a huge fan of the Photon chip.

screen-jpg.983253

The layout of this chip's screen is clean and uncluttered. It's a simple chip to navigate, with three modes - Smart, Power (Wattage) and Voltage. 3 clicks of the fire button brings up the menu, here you can select the three modes and change the colour of the screen. To adjust your wattage or voltage use the two lower buttons to increase or decrease it.

Smart mode (default): This is wattage/power mode that automatically sets the wattage range of your coil based on its resistance. If you want to go higher than this range, switch to Power mode.

Power: You set the wattage 5 - 100 watts

Voltage: 0.5 - 8.0 volts

Navigation:
    3 clicks of the fire button enters the Menu
    5 clicks of the fire button turns the device on or off
    Holding down the + (top) and - (bottom) buttons together locks and unlocks those two buttons but not the fire button.
    Holding the fire button and + button brings up the colour option menu
    Holding the fire button and - button clears the Puff counter.

510 Adaptor:

510mode-jpg.983262

By including this adaptor, Oxva has made this an ideal kit for a new vaper who may want to use their own tanks in the future. The adaptor cleverly uses the airflow slots to click in, along with a very firm magnet.

This isn't one of those adaptors that comes loose easily, as I found out when I stuck it on to try it! How do I take it off? I tried brute strength, which I'm sadly lacking - no joy. Holding my tongue right - didn't work. I eventually resorted to google. The original Velocity kit came with a tool, which isn't in this version. However using a tank screwed into the 510 and levering it towards the side, unclicks the adaptor.

Extras:​

Unipro RBA:
    There's a Unipro Rba available for this pod tank which has some innovative features. It includes a 1.5mm id insert which allows this rba to also be used as a MTL rba coil. The airflow ring includes large slots for RDL/DL and smaller holes for MTL.

Judging by the flavour of the Unipro coils and the flavour from their Arbiter series of rtas, this looks like a fantastic rba.
    rba-jpg.983252

Unicoil Tank:

Oxva's Unicoil tank is compatible with this device. The Oxva Unicoil range includes a lower wattage 0.5Ω coil and a 1Ω MTL coil

unicoils-jpg.983272

The Bottom Line:​

Usually when you buy a pod mod, you get just a pod mod. The fact Oxva includes a decent 510 adaptor with this kit, along with having a decent RBA available just makes it appeal so much more and to more people. Add in to that the top-notch flavour of these Unipro coils and you have a winner.

I've had no problems at all with the quality if this device. I've loved seeing the cleverness and innovation that Oxva have brought to this kit. Especially with regards to the top-fill non-leaking Unipro tank and coils. I also like how small it is for a 21700 pod mod, though it is a taller mod with the 510 adaptor installed.

For me the real test of any new device is whether I carry on using it, or go back to one of my favourites. The smoothness and flavour from the 0.3Ω Unipro coil at 30 watts, on this 21700 ergonomic device has very much made it a new favourite. It's a keeper.

Thank you to @Ema from Sourcemore, I've really enjoyed showing off this kit.

It's available for $34.19 from Sourcemore with the discount code: VELEK
    OXVA Velocity LE Kit

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread