The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Painting My Mod

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by SingedVapor, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SingedVapor

SingedVapor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So I'm making a mod using a hommond box and... I wanna paint it. I have never painted aluminum so I don't know what I should do but would I would like to do is give it a rubberized coat. Something like "plasti dip" that I've been reading about. Anyone ever done it or know if I should/shouldn't paint it?

2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Choice of Top Coats is Very Subjective.

But there is once thing that Isn't. You're going to Want to Primer the Clean, Bare Aluminum Before you Paint it.

I have had Good Luck using Krylon Automotive Spray Primer. Dries Quick and its Sandable.

For a Light Colored Finish Coat I like to use White Primer. And for a Dark Colored Finish Coat I use Grey.

3. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    You might consider just polishing it with some Mother's Mag polish. But then i like shiny.

T

4. SingedVapor

I haven't totally decided what I'm gonna do with it. It's like an artist staring at a blank white page unable to move due to too many different options.

I'm thinking I something like the fazed box mod.

[​IMG]

5. Nick N

Nick N Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    White, blue, or Red Plasti Dip (Rustoleum makes "FlexiDip" now too) and finish it with Sharpie Art... One of a kind and you can change it up.

However, Plasti Dip won't hold up well if going in and out of pockets.

6. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Just Curious if the Painting has Begun?

7. Harlen

Harlen Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2013
    Charlotte Nc
    If you do rubberize it know it will be hard to get out of your pocket and or holder.

8. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    That's a Good Point Halen.

9. SingedVapor

No there were some slight complications and I'll be ordering a new box. I was drilling the hole for the 510 connection and the drill press malfunctioned and cracked a huge chunk off the box.

10. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Those things Happen.

Holding the Work Piece tight is Critical Most of the Time. That and it is Almost Always better to Under Turn a Drill than it is to Over Turn it.

It also helps to Drill a Pilot Hole sometimes.

11. SingedVapor

Thanks for the advice. The new box shipped yesterday so I should have an update on how it went painting it pretty soon :)

12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Cool.

One other thing. I know that it is Hard to do if your are Trying to Modify something. But if you can Drill a Test Hole in the Same Material, do it. Nice to get the Speed and Feed down on a Test Piece.

But on something like your Doing, you probably don't have any Similar Material Laying around. That is where the Pilot Hole can save you Sometimes.

If the Material Chips because the RPM's are Too High (I'm assuming the Material is Plastic), some time you can Still get the Right Hole Diameter because your Pilot Hole was Undersized.

Let us know how things go. Or if you Need any Advice on Removing Material.

13. disturbed1

disturbed1 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 2, 2012
    CT
    If you are painting aluminum. aluminum doesn't take to paint very well. You have to use an acid etch primer. You can get a spray can at any auto body supply shop. You dont have to put it on very heavy just a nice dust coat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.