Painting My Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
So I'm making a mod using a hommond box and... I wanna paint it. I have never painted aluminum so I don't know what I should do but would I would like to do is give it a rubberized coat. Something like "plasti dip" that I've been reading about. Anyone ever done it or know if I should/shouldn't paint it?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I'm making a mod using a hommond box and... I wanna paint it. I have never painted aluminum so I don't know what I should do but would I would like to do is give it a rubberized coat. Something like "plasti dip" that I've been reading about. Anyone ever done it or know if I should/shouldn't paint it?

Choice of Top Coats is Very Subjective.

But there is once thing that Isn't. You're going to Want to Primer the Clean, Bare Aluminum Before you Paint it.

I have had Good Luck using Krylon Automotive Spray Primer. Dries Quick and its Sandable.

For a Light Colored Finish Coat I like to use White Primer. And for a Dark Colored Finish Coat I use Grey.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
I haven't totally decided what I'm gonna do with it. It's like an artist staring at a blank white page unable to move due to too many different options.

I'm thinking I something like the fazed box mod.

ypahu3a9.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No there were some slight complications and I'll be ordering a new box. I was drilling the hole for the 510 connection and the drill press malfunctioned and cracked a huge chunk off the box.

Those things Happen.

Holding the Work Piece tight is Critical Most of the Time. That and it is Almost Always better to Under Turn a Drill than it is to Over Turn it.

It also helps to Drill a Pilot Hole sometimes.

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Those things Happen.

Holding the Work Piece tight is Critical Most of the Time. That and it is Almost Always better to Under Turn a Drill than it is to Over Turn it.

It also helps to Drill a Pilot Hole sometimes.

Thanks for the advice. The new box shipped yesterday so I should have an update on how it went painting it pretty soon :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the advice. The new box shipped yesterday so I should have an update on how it went painting it pretty soon :)

Cool.

One other thing. I know that it is Hard to do if your are Trying to Modify something. But if you can Drill a Test Hole in the Same Material, do it. Nice to get the Speed and Feed down on a Test Piece.

But on something like your Doing, you probably don't have any Similar Material Laying around. That is where the Pilot Hole can save you Sometimes.

If the Material Chips because the RPM's are Too High (I'm assuming the Material is Plastic), some time you can Still get the Right Hole Diameter because your Pilot Hole was Undersized.

Let us know how things go. Or if you Need any Advice on Removing Material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread