Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I tried the spray version on a Vamo 2 but it did not last too long. Dipping it may last longer but you have to sand down the mod to allow it to stick to the metal better.

This. If you don't give your mod a real rough finish (some brushed box mods *might* do OK) it will just peel off. I suppose that could be a good or bad thing though. If you don't like it, it's usually pretty easy to peel off.

ace963

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
United States
I have tried this on a couple of mods and I can not get that stuff to stick for the life of me. Sanding, primer, etching prime nothing. Starts off great and and usually lets go on a edge or corner. Using the spray can stuff. I can make spray paint look good and be durable but not this stuff for some reason. Last one I did I actually went over it with superglue to avoid having to strip and repaint it. Looks good but the superglue makes it hard and slick... kind of defeats the purpose of rubber spray paint.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
l leave the car forums cuz i'm sick of hearing about plasti dip... and it has followed me!

LE GASP!

If you are going to go through the effort of repainting your mod, plastidip is not the answer.
Plastidip is never the answer!

Nah man! PlastiDip your rented wheelz so they look doooope!

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
Brodie Halfhill posted his plasti-dipped iHy pure. No mention of the durability yet, but it looks nice.

plastidip ihy pure.jpg

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
I haven't seen it mentioned here, but plastidip also comes in a spray (which is what I would use) so you don't get the drips! When I had my magneto I used Sugru on the telescope extension to give it a nice rubber grip and fill in the gap.

Why...just why...would anyone do this?So many other cosmetic treatments that could be done...hydrodips, patinas, heat treatments, annodizing....Why bother with something so cheap looking?

On this note, I don't think it would look cheap at all if done right and done on the right MOD. I woudn't DARE plastidip my Lunar, but mostly because it wouldn't add to the aesthetics of it, whereas I would plastidip a Magneto or a provari or SID in a heartbeat. To each their own I guess.

DeVeL 5150

Oct 20, 2010
So. Cal
was kind of wondering this too. i have sprayed wheels with plasti dip before and they came out good but a mod has alot of handling and it would seem to rub off with handling. ive sprayed egos and other smaller tube mods with a rubberized paint used for cars found at local auto part stores called "rubberized under body coating" used for frames and fender wells. after a quick sand with 200-500 grit to scuff it up wipe down with acetone or rubbing alcohol and about 2-3 very light coats it came out great. just tape off threads and vents before spraying and suspend it freely to get coverage on all surfaces and you are golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread