Panasonic Japanese made 2250mah 10A IMR battery. An AW Slayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I just ran into this IMR battery from Panasonic. At $9.99 with free shipping, it's cheaper than what I've seen most 2000mah AW's go for and about what I paid for a 1600mah generic IMR. I have contacted the site to verify the length. Hopefully, it will fit in the Lavatube. In general, Japanese made batteries are superior to Chinese ones, IMO, so if this will fit well, it may become the preferred battery for Lavatube/Vtube/Tornado/Whatevers that need a IMR battery.
Heres' the link. If anyone wants to be adventurous...IMR Panasonic 18650 Li-Mn-Li-ion CGR18650CH High Drain 10A Rechargeable Battery Cell

If anyone's looking for a high capacity protected Li-Ion battery, they also have a 3100mah (verified, they say) 8.5A from Panasonic. This one looks to be very well built and the product page has complete data. Unfortunately, it's 68.95mm long, a bit too long for the LT's to fit comfortably.

Last edited:

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
I just ran into this IMR battery from Panasonic. At $9.99 with free shipping, it's cheaper than what I've seen most 2000mah AW's go for and about what I paid for a 1600mah generic IMR. I have contacted the site to verify the length. Hopefully, it will fit in the Lavatube. In general, Japanese made batteries are superior to Chinese ones, IMO, so if this will fit well, it may become the preferred battery for Lavatube/Vtube/Tornado/Whatevers that need a IMR battery.
Heres' the link. If anyone wants to be adventurous...IMR Panasonic 18650 Li-Mn-Li-ion CGR18650CH High Drain 10A Rechargeable Battery Cell

If anyone's looking for a high capacity protected Li-Ion battery, they also have a 3100mah (verified, they say) 8.5A from Panasonic. This one looks to be very well built and the product page has complete data. Unfortunately, it's 68.95mm long, a bit too long for the LT's to fit comfortably.

AW Slayer .

Best name I have ever heard for batteries.

Healthy competition to IMHO overpriced "wrapped" Sanyo, Panasonic, ??? AW cells is always welcome.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Update: After looking at the data sheet and some further research, this battery will fit the Lavatube. It's <=65.2mm long.
It matches or exceed the AW in all respects that I can discern. FWIW, the battery gurus here, whose opinions I've found, agree that it should outperform the AW, if for no other reason than the >10% capacity advantage. A video was discussed that subjected both batteries to forced failure. The AW seemed to generate more heat, melting the heavy test cables. The Panasonic did not. I believe the Panny has a better internal physical design than the AW an is at least marginally safer.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
Slayer?

AW IMR embarrassing performance vs. CGR18650ch at 10A.

Test picture is from another forum they've done it at 5A, 7.5A, and 10A

I hope AW IMR survived after this nose diving 10A discharge.

aw-IMR-vs-CGR-IMR.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k588/mitro74/bt/CK%20IMR%202250/awvsck10a.gif

I did not expect AW IMR 1600 to be better than Panasonic IMR 2250 , but this graph looks very bad .

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Are they confirmed as the same size as the AW IMR 18650 1600mAh?

I confirmed the Panasonics as being <65.2mm
My generic IMR's from Apollo are 65.0mm
I don't know how long AW 18650s are, but probably a tad longer.
Sad Society says he uses the Pannys on a LT, so that's all the verification I need.

On another note:
I have no complaints about my Generic 1600mah 18650s. They seem to work and hold their charge fine.
But they aren't AW's. and they aren't 2250mah either. They only cost $1 less than the 2250mah Pannys.
The Pannys beat the pants off the 2000mah AWs in every test I've seen.
AW doesn't make a 2200mah IMR, so I don't know what Totally Wicked is using.
I doubt it's an AW, though it's possible. I know it's not a Panny. They aren't saying, AFAIK.
Given the above, and the $7.99 to $9.99(shipped) price, the Pannys are a no-brainer.

Lavatube/Vtube/*tube vendors would be wise to make these available in lieu of the no-name generics they sell or re-jacket.
I know they can be had for around $4.50 wholesale.
I can't imagine that AWs or the generics are appreciably cheaper, although they could be. But by how much, $2?
Is it worth it?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Totally Wicked has its own branded 2200 Mah IMR Lavatube replacement batteries and they are a perfect fit flattop for the lava. thing they are $8.99.

So far they are performing superb.

Has anyone confirmed who makes the TW batteries?
My generic IMRs are performing superbly as well, but they're only a couple weeks old and I recharge at 3.8V.

The real test will be over the next year, or if they short or something.
How hot would they get and how will they hold up after a year of charge cycles?

My 1600mah generics cost around $9-10 and shipped free with my V-Tube.
For $9.99 or less, shipped, I'll be going with the 2250mah Panasonics for replacements or spares.
40% more capacity and a pedigree..... All I can say is ...Duh.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The Panny's fit the LT perfectly. No stress on the spring, and definitely no gaps in the threads of the bottom cap.
I wouldn't use these batteries if they didn't fit.

I've read others trying to make other 18650 batteries fit. Like ones that are PCB and using rubber washers to fit in the gap of the threads, I mean talk about stressing out the spring and making your ecig even more unsafe.

"But what do you mean unsafe? They are using PCB's."

Yeah, PC batteries that are not meant to be used in the LT and when the battery is jammed into a space where the battery has no room (PCB or not), the battery can't breathe.

Using a PCB battery in a VV mod also makes a VV mod pointless. High drain IMR batteries are used in conjunction with the circuitry of a VV mod, therefore making it able to vape a higher voltages.

Sorry, I don't think anybody brought this up in this thread. It's just useful information.

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
You make alot of valid points but I am not sure about the "Stressing out the spring" bit. The batts from my kit squash that thing almost completely. I figure that within a year I will need to replace it anyway (bottom caps are now for sale at volcano). I will try and put the calipers on a TW battery tonight and check the length.

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
The Panny's fit the LT perfectly. No stress on the spring, and definitely no gaps in the threads of the bottom cap.
I wouldn't use these batteries if they didn't fit.

I've read others trying to make other 18650 batteries fit. Like ones that are PCB and using rubber washers to fit in the gap of the threads, I mean talk about stressing out the spring and making your ecig even more unsafe.

"But what do you mean unsafe? They are using PCB's."

Yeah, PC batteries that are not meant to be used in the LT and when the battery is jammed into a space where the battery has no room (PCB or not), the battery can't breathe.

Using a PCB battery in a VV mod also makes a VV mod pointless. High drain IMR batteries are used in conjunction with the circuitry of a VV mod, therefore making it able to vape a higher voltages.

Sorry, I don't think anybody brought this up in this thread. It's just useful information.

Thanks for this sir. Pretty much answered everything. One last thing: where do you get yours and what charger are you charging them with?

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for this sir. Pretty much answered everything. One last thing: where do you get yours and what charger are you charging them with?

Surprisingly enough, I use a cheap wall charger I bought off Ebay from China. Here is a link to the charger I use. It's even the same seller. Charger 4 Ultrafire RCR123A 10440 AAA 14500 18650 17670 | eBay

The IMR and Panny Batteries' max charge is 4.25 volts. If it is charged any higher then it is being overcharged.

This charger only charges the batteries up to 4.21 volts. Which is good enough for me. Also it cuts off the charge when its done. And doesn't trickle charge.

Know your Charger!!! When charging batteries for the first time in a charger it is best to be close by at all times. Having a multimeter to test the battery voltage is also helpful.

Here is the link to where I got my batteries. Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh - $7.99 : SmartVapes Electronic Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarette

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly
I have that same charger, came with my RS Maxi. AG-126 Lithium Ion Battery Charger

It is a great charger, and I have never had it overcharge a battery. It is quiet and it works. I can not stand the noise of the TR-001 (I have had 2 of them) but this little guy is easy, great versatility and works great.

When I need batteries I will snatch up some of the panisonic ones. SV is out of stock, but I don't need them at the moment anyway. The TW batts work great although life could be better on them. Today is my 1 year smoke free, so to reward myself I will be getting a darwin or provari. Wish they would make an 18650 tube for the ProVari mini.

Thanks for the heads up on the batteries guys...now just need to find some good, cheap 18350's before my Mini gets here.

Surprisingly enough, I use a cheap wall charger I bought off Ebay from China. Here is a link to the charger I use. It's even the same seller. Charger 4 Ultrafire RCR123A 10440 AAA 14500 18650 17670 | eBay

The IMR and Panny Batteries' max charge is 4.25 volts. If it is charged any higher then it is being overcharged.

This charger only charges the batteries up to 4.21 volts. Which is good enough for me. Also it cuts off the charge when its done. And doesn't trickle charge.

Know your Charger!!! When charging batteries for the first time in a charger it is best to be close by at all times. Having a multimeter to test the battery voltage is also helpful.

Here is the link to where I got my batteries. Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh - $7.99 : SmartVapes Electronic Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread