Paranoia post!!!! Voopoo DRAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
@stols001 – they do not test batteries in the way Mooch does – this would be unpractical for a retailer. Their test involve throwing a battery into a charger and possibly a mod just to ensure it works. I have witnessed batteries removed from chargers with their boxes marked as such but not tested within a mod so the latter may not be fact

I'll add that when I asked Dashvapes about their batteries they said they got them from Illumn.com, which is one of Mooch's reliable suppliers. I can't confirm that myself, of course, but I'm inclined to believe it on a few grounds. First, they have a reputation for being very strict about authenticity. They don't even sell clones. They also don't sell any rewrapped 18650s, which gives me the impression they take battery safety seriously. It's no guarantee, but given the cost of shipping from elsewhere and possible issues with customs, I consider Dashvapes as reliable a supplier as I can reasonably access.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I'll add that when I asked Dashvapes about their batteries they said they got them from Illumn.com, which is one of Mooch's reliable suppliers. I can't confirm that myself, of course, but I'm inclined to believe it on a few grounds. First, they have a reputation for being very strict about authenticity. They don't even sell clones. They also don't sell any rewrapped 18650s, which gives me the impression they take battery safety seriously. It's no guarantee, but given the cost of shipping from elsewhere and possible issues with customs, I consider Dashvapes as reliable a supplier as I can reasonably access.

That I did not know – thanks for sharing.

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Found 1 reported case of a Drag catching fire on Reddit with no mention of how or why. However, there are dozens upon dozens of speculating threads of people talking about how dangerous the Drag is with 0 evidence to back some of their claims. This is how Reddit works, one story gets blown out of proportion and now becomes some major disaster. There are a few who have claimed over heating due to a stuck fire button but I relate this more toward misuse and not knowing what to do in such a situation. How many members are on ECF? Given the popularity of the Drag how many ECF members own one? Now how many reported incidents of a Drag catching fire causing catastrophic damage on ECF?

I have no doubt there have been issues with the Drag – but name a regulated mod that has been issue free. Given the popularity of the Drag it is only natural we hear more about the problems. What we do not hear, or better put, take note of are the hundreds of thousands of functional devices.

Fully agree better safe than sorry. But there is no need to scare the bejeasus out of a new user insinuating that the mod they just purchased is a ticking time bomb with 0 evidence outside some claim on reddit. It is more beneficial to educate so that the new user can gain the needed knowledge to mitigate risk. Teaching that user about battery safety is educating them….talking about exploding mods just gives vaping a bad rep! If I was a new user to vaping, trying to quit smoking and read stuff like this….I’d go back to smoking cigarettes.

I can pull up at least 5 or more in the past 45ish days, and then theirs even more posts inside the threads of people coming forward claiming this also happened to their Drags. I promise, Im not making this up. Check /electronic_cigarettes , /vaping and /vaping101. I have no reason to make this up, Ive seen the pictures with my own eyes.

If you dont believe me, thats okay by me. The posts are their. OP asked so I responded with what Ive seen and what people have reported. Thats all I can really do. I get enough people who are combative about any negative comment about a device/company they like on Reddit and Im not about to go through it here. Ive said my peace, OP can believe me or not. Ive done all I can to warn him and anyone else and Im not about to enter into a 10 page pissing contest about it.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I can pull up at least 5 or more in the past 45ish days, and then theirs even more posts inside the threads of people coming forward claiming this also happened to their Drags. I promise, Im not making this up. Check /electronic_cigarettes , /vaping and /vaping101. I have no reason to make this up, Ive seen the pictures with my own eyes.

If you dont believe me, thats okay by me. The posts are their. OP asked so I responded with what Ive seen and what people have reported. Thats all I can really do. I get enough people who are combative about any negative comment about a device/company they like on Reddit and Im not about to go through it here. Ive said my peace, OP can believe me or not. Ive done all I can to warn him and anyone else and Im not about to enter into a 10 page pissing contest about it.

I don’t know what a 10 page pissing contest is. More than happy to continue this discussion but lets leave the Reddit comments out of it.

Again, the Drag is an extremely popular device – if I had to guess, number of sales second to Smok and if not it is pretty close. No doubt there have been issues with it but without legit statistics we have no idea what its failure rate is. A 10% failure rate is the same regardless if there are only 5000 units sold or 50000. However, with the latter due to its sheer numbers it is only natural we will hear more about it. Reddit only focus on the negative, most catastrophic issues neglecting to account for the amount of units/products that are in circulation and fully functional. Out of the 2.5 mil Samsung Note 7’s sold, only about 2 dozen reported cases of it catching fire. The number is quite insignificant given the amount sold. But according to Reddit, half of North America and parts of Europe and Asia were nuked to oblivion due to the Note 7 with so called pictures to back their claims. Far from fact!

There is a vast number of claimed personal injury and property damage from laptops over heating and catching fire due to neglect. Should we reference the false claims on Reddit that Dell laptops (or what ever model) are blowing up cities and charring users to a crisp or educate them in proper usage, maintenance and battery safety? I vote for the latter!

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Found 1 reported case of a Drag catching fire on Reddit with no mention of how or why. However, there are dozens upon dozens of speculating threads of people talking about how dangerous the Drag is with 0 evidence to back some of their claims. This is how Reddit works, one story gets blown out of proportion and now becomes some major disaster. There are a few who have claimed over heating due to a stuck fire button but I relate this more toward misuse and not knowing what to do in such a situation. How many members are on ECF? Given the popularity of the Drag how many ECF members own one? Now how many reported incidents of a Drag catching fire causing catastrophic damage on ECF?

I have no doubt there have been issues with the Drag – but name a regulated mod that has been issue free. Given the popularity of the Drag it is only natural we hear more about the problems. What we do not hear, or better put, take note of are the hundreds of thousands of functional devices.

Fully agree better safe than sorry. But there is no need to scare the bejeasus out of a new user insinuating that the mod they just purchased is a ticking time bomb with 0 evidence outside some claim on reddit. It is more beneficial to educate so that the new user can gain the needed knowledge to mitigate risk. Teaching that user about battery safety is educating them….talking about exploding mods just gives vaping a bad rep! If I was a new user to vaping, trying to quit smoking and read stuff like this….I’d go back to smoking cigarettes.

I really do appreciate this post. I was just starting to feel comfortable with my purchase. Reddit is what started this whole thing. In fact it is the only place I found a negative post about the DRAG. I know this is a very popular device so it is lickley to have trouble in mass quantity. I bought batteries from a reputable source and will charge them externally. I will not exceed the recommended limitations I will slowly work my way up to the "sweet spot" and at night store it on ceramic tile. If I lock it at night it should be safe no? All this negahype makes the mod sound like it's totally unreliable yet all the well respected you tubers all give it love. Thanks again

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018

Their response to my inquirers. "However, we take safety even more seriously than you are! Rest assured the products we sell are all authentic" :)

Kind Regards,
Shai Bekman
DashVapes, Inc

They were patient with me. They answered my questions and made me feel better about the situation. They also posted a link that confirmed that had tested some inferior batteries and had sent them to mooch for examination. I believe them to be legit.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Someone posted a link to Reddit today about a Smok device catching fire. Typical Reddit thread – OP starts off shouting how dangerous the device is and giving a big f-you to Smok. Like a bunch of mindless monkeys everyone follows suit pointing the evil finger at the manufacture. However, not a single Reddit user was able to identify the elephant in the room…a Samsung charger the device was plugged into. Samsung fast charger’s output 4x the amount of amperage than your typical USB. They are recommended to be used with Samsung phones and only Samsung phones! But the elitists trolls on Reddit are above all and will never accept responsibility for anything. This is whats giving vaping a bad rep! Their ignorance amazes me! Smok may have painted a big target on their back that make it easy for us to point a finger at their quality. But there is a world of difference between a device failing due to poor design vs catching fire due to user ignorance. Replace Smok with any other brand and the story stays the same on Reddit!

@JJ Hair as I stated earlier, if you are more comfortable removing your tank and batteries from your device when not in use then by all means do so. You do not have to store it on a ceramic tile but if that is what you want to do, I say go for it. It’s understanding and respecting the limitations of the device that is key. It is also understanding and practicing proper battery safety. Judging by your response it seems to me you have acknowledge this and consumed the good reconditions from the more knowledgeable people of ECF. Enjoy, don’t stress. BTW – @tailland is just trying to be funny.....I think

• Agree

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
{gallows humor}

On a more serious note; Why worry? If OP is really so worried about the device - open it, clean it to the best of your abilities, then sell it on ebay. It's not like the mod has already failed, or is right about to fail. It's just a mod that is slightly less well designed than others. If you're not okay with that - get rid of it.

Samsung fast charger’s output 4x the amount of amperage than your typical USB.
A charger can have a 100A max output and will still only deliver what the battery requests. If Smok's onboard protection electronics don't limit the charge to what the battery can safely take, they'e fully responsible for any resulting malfunction.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
{gallows humor}

On a more serious note; Why worry? If OP is really so worried about the device - open it, clean it to the best of your abilities, then sell it on ebay. It's not like the mod has already failed, or is right about to fail. It's just a mod that is slightly less well designed than others. If you're not okay with that - get rid of it.

A charger can have a 100A max output and will still only deliver what the battery requests. If Smok's onboard protection electronics don't limit the charge to what the battery can safely take, they'e fully responsible for any resulting malfunction.

That is not exactly true. Plug an older iPhone into a Samsung fast charger, the iPhone heats up – the battery is being stressed, and there have been reports of thermal venting. I’ve used a Samsung Fast charger on a mod out of desperation (not a Smok). Within minutes you could cook and egg off of it.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
That is not exactly true. Plug an older iPhone into a Samsung fast charger, the iPhone heats up – the battery is being stressed, and there have been reports of thermal venting. I’ve used a Samsung Fast charger on a mod out of desperation (not a Smok). Within minutes you could cook and egg off of it.
and that's bc:
If xyz's onboard protection electronics don't limit the charge to what the battery can safely take...
Current is pulled, not pushed. So as long as the charger delivers at 5V, no problems are to be expected.

However, a vape device manufacturer, who's only "protecting" the batteries in his device by completely relying on the low output of an external but non-proprietary charger, is a negligent manufacturer.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
and that's bc: Current is pulled, not pushed. So as long as the charger delivers at 5V, no problems are to be expected.

However, a vape device manufacturer, who's only "protecting" the batteries in his device by completely relying on the low output of an external but non-proprietary charger, is a negligent manufacturer.

Many external chargers allow for changes to their output. One of mine can go as high as 5amps should that be a safe level for the battery. The battery has no control over this and is solely relying on what the charger is outputting. Plugging in a Samsung 30Q as an example which has a recommended normal charge rate of 1.5A and a “Fast Charge” rate of 4A. 5A from the charger will stress the battery which could lead to a failure. Mooch does touch on this within one of his videos which I will post if I can find it.

The same applies to any device, mod or other, that has an internal battery. The device may be regulated in a sense to regulate power from a charger but even these circuits can be overpowered leading to battery stress. There are also devices that solely rely on what the charger outputs as I pointed out above .

I used a Samsung Note 7 as an example in an earlier post. Prior to the recall, Samsung’s recommendation was to not use a fast charger thus less stress on the already volatile battery.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Samsung 30Q is €3.35 on that site. Shipping to Canada is €30.00. That equals $49.51 CAN dollars not including duty or what ever conversion rate our banks use. Plus the added risk of customs denying the shipment which is known to happen from time to time at which the buyer still has to pay for shipping. A authentic Samsung 30Q can be found for as little as $11.99 in Canada. I'm not against online shopping outside of Canada, but the majority of the time it is not worth the efforts.

You have to watch the shipping costs which can vary a lot. I bought 9 Samsung 30Q from Ilumn last December. All in USD - batteries were $4.99 ea, S & H $15.75 for a total of $60.66 which is about 79.10 CDN or $8.79 CDN per battery. They got to me in about a week. Dashvapes sells them for $13.99 plus tax, and shipping if you can't pick them up. I've never heard of anyone having batteries sent back to the US by Canada customs.

I am extremely comfortable with Illumn and while I trust Dashvapes, I trust Illumn more. So for me buying batts from them is a no-brainer, but YMMV as always :)

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
I don’t know what a 10 page pissing contest is. More than happy to continue this discussion but lets leave the Reddit comments out of it.

Again, the Drag is an extremely popular device – if I had to guess, number of sales second to Smok and if not it is pretty close. No doubt there have been issues with it but without legit statistics we have no idea what its failure rate is. A 10% failure rate is the same regardless if there are only 5000 units sold or 50000. However, with the latter due to its sheer numbers it is only natural we will hear more about it. Reddit only focus on the negative, most catastrophic issues neglecting to account for the amount of units/products that are in circulation and fully functional. Out of the 2.5 mil Samsung Note 7’s sold, only about 2 dozen reported cases of it catching fire. The number is quite insignificant given the amount sold. But according to Reddit, half of North America and parts of Europe and Asia were nuked to oblivion due to the Note 7 with so called pictures to back their claims. Far from fact!

There is a vast number of claimed personal injury and property damage from laptops over heating and catching fire due to neglect. Should we reference the false claims on Reddit that Dell laptops (or what ever model) are blowing up cities and charring users to a crisp or educate them in proper usage, maintenance and battery safety? I vote for the latter!

My Voopoo Drag Blew Up In My Hand Yesterday, It Was Like Holding A Flare By The Wrong End : electronic_cigarette

My Voopoo Drag had a meltdown today... : electronic_cigarette

Voopoo Drag - A disassembly and analysis of a failed mod + [PSA] : electronic_cigarette

My voopoo exploded too, in July. Found it like this in the morning after leaving it on the porch the night before. • r/electronic_cigarette

This was a close one. My Voopoo Drag exploded in my hand : electronic_cigarette

My Voopoo Drag failed this morning. : electronic_cigarette

Theirs multiple reports inside the first link, as well as the 3rd link has 6+ REPORTS linked in its main post and I posted many of them up top here, the 2nd has some as well. I found these after a quick search on only r/electronic_cigarette, so this doesnt even include the other vaping subreddits.. Anyway, you can find multiple reports inside each thread. Theirs around 200+ posts in each I believe. As well as links to other reports/posts of similar incidents, etc.

Notice how many of them catch fire around the USB charger and not the batteries, and Im sure someone will argue "oh its a popular device, this is bound to happen!". The Aegis Legend/ Vandy Vape Pulse are just as popular and Ive never seen megathreads of melted Aegis Legends or Pulse 80ws. You can also find TONS of posts about Drags fire button sticking/autofiring/device getting alarmingly hot while being used. etc etc. Anyone who sees all of this info and still denies a problem is in denial and not looking out for anyones safety. Theirs dozens of other mods, avoid the Drag. I wouldnt even touch a Gene chip mod after seeing all this.

If a regulated mod is working properly this should not happen. The only concern the user should worry about is battery safety, and its obvious to anyone with eyes that the batteries werent responsible in many of these cases. To even begin to claim ALL of this is user error is completley naive.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
You have to watch the shipping costs which can vary a lot. I bought 9 Samsung 30Q from Ilumn last December. All in USD - batteries were $4.99 ea, S & H $15.75 for a total of $60.66 which is about 79.10 CDN or $8.79 CDN per battery. They got to me in about a week. Dashvapes sells them for $13.99 plus tax, and shipping if you can't pick them up. I've never heard of anyone having batteries sent back to the US by Canada customs.

I am extremely comfortable with Illumn and while I trust Dashvapes, I trust Illumn more. So for me buying batts from them is a no-brainer, but YMMV as always :)
I've picked up quite a few batteries from Illumn as well. It's an excellent company with great prices/shipping rates for us Canadians.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Fully understand the cost of shipping can be offset if buying in bulk. But not everyone buys in bulk. My example was not exclusive to all purchases from outside of Canada. One can be a smart shopper and save money providing your needs can be capitalize through actions such as buying in bulk.

I also have not heard of customs denying batteries for vaping products – but that does not mean it does not happen. I have heard many stories of customs denying non vape products that are much safer than batteries. And I through my profession I have dealt with customs on several occasions where they have denied shipment. Saying that, a large corporation obviously has more clout than a single consumer so these issues were rectified.

With vaping falling under the watchful eye of many agencies, customs may just start clamping down on imported vape gear. It’s much to early to reference the details, but doesn’t the new imposed Bill 174 touch on all vape products must first meet Government approval? I’ll read over the Bill once my morning coffee kicks in. But this could mean shopping from afar could become problematic for us Canadians. In a nut shell we are at the mercy of customs, there is a higher risk of not receiving your shipment if one orders from outside Canada – my comment was just identifying that.

We all have our own ways of dealing with risk. For you it is purchasing from a source that you trust, and I fully support that. I trust Dashvapes sells authentic batteries. And should I ever have a need to purchase batteries in bulk, I will assess my options and choose what best suits me at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread