Paranoia post!!!! Voopoo DRAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My Voopoo Drag Blew Up In My Hand Yesterday, It Was Like Holding A Flare By The Wrong End : electronic_cigarette

My Voopoo Drag had a meltdown today... : electronic_cigarette

Voopoo Drag - A disassembly and analysis of a failed mod + [PSA] : electronic_cigarette

My voopoo exploded too, in July. Found it like this in the morning after leaving it on the porch the night before. • r/electronic_cigarette

This was a close one. My Voopoo Drag exploded in my hand : electronic_cigarette

My Voopoo Drag failed this morning. : electronic_cigarette

Theirs multiple reports inside the first link, as well as the 3rd link has 6+ REPORTS linked in its main post and I posted many of them up top here, the 2nd has some as well. I found these after a quick search on only r/electronic_cigarette, so this doesnt even include the other vaping subreddits.. Anyway, you can find multiple reports inside each thread. Theirs around 200+ posts in each I believe. As well as links to other reports/posts of similar incidents, etc.

Notice how many of them catch fire around the USB charger and not the batteries, and Im sure someone will argue "oh its a popular device, this is bound to happen!". The Aegis Legend/ Vandy Vape Pulse are just as popular and Ive never seen megathreads of melted Aegis Legends or Pulse 80ws. You can also find TONS of posts about Drags fire button sticking/autofiring/device getting alarmingly hot while being used. etc etc. Anyone who sees all of this info and still denies a problem is in denial and not looking out for anyones safety. Theirs dozens of other mods, avoid the Drag. I wouldnt even touch a Gene chip mod after seeing all this.

If a regulated mod is working properly this should not happen. The only concern the user should worry about is battery safety, and its obvious to anyone with eyes that the batteries werent responsible in many of these cases. To even begin to claim ALL of this is user error is completley naive.

One of the reason why you may see scorching around a USB port because it is an orifice. Thermal venting will take a path of least resistance. The Drag is designed to blow the magnetic battery doors off in the event of thermal venting. Should the unit be left on its side, or fall over at the beginning of thermal venting, the doors are no longer a path of least resistance – the USB port now becomes that path once heat melts through the plastic battery compartment. Thermal venting is chaotic meaning it cannot be measured in a way that it performs in a predictable manor. This is not exclusive to the problems you have pointed out but an explanation as to why you may see scorching around a USB port. One of these user feels the root of his fire was something logged into the USB port causing a short. If there is any fact to this, that is neglect be it accidental or not.

The majority of these pictures show a battery compartment completely destroyed but no scorching around the USB port. This indicates to me that the source of the fire is the batteries - and why do batteries catch fire?

I never stated all of these claims were user error. I identified how Reddit blows stories out of proportion neglecting to look at the details with everyone pointing fault at the manufacture and not taking in account that user error and or neglect can be contributing factor. I can see we have now resorted to name calling insinuating that I am naïve. If I am naïve for not accepting a device was at fault due to faulty design without actual fact, then what does that make you for believing in the so called armchair experts on Reddit? I have requested to keep the condescending remarks out of this conversation. It is obvious to me that you are too closed minded to have any kind of civil conversation in which both of us, along with other members of ECF could learn something. Saying that, thank you for your efforts but I do not wish to converse with you on this topic any longer.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, regulated mods can fail. Yes, user error problems can happen. Yes, smoking can give you lung cancer, other cancers, and emphysema and a host of other problems.

I don't genuinely believe the MOD is totally at issue here. Ecigs explode sometimes. That is what they do.

The only 100% safeguard you can give yourself is by being safe with your mod, and that means WHATEVER it takes for YOU. I know people who are Just Fine with dripping in their car. I AM NOT that driver.

So, rather than fixate on THIS MOD THIS ONE THIS ONE, well I think it's sort of scaring the OP off from vaping AT ALL at this point. YOUR SAFETY with ecigs will depend on what sort of knowledge is Between Your Ears, as any mod can fail, at any time. Will it? More times than not, no.

If you: remove batteries overnight, charge in a safe charger (perhaps on a fire proof surface) but when you can keep an eye on it, remove your tank at night (if that makes you feel safer) that is all FINE, reasonable, and GOOD practice. You also want to consider how you wish to transport it from place to place, such as, in the OFF position, with the batteries OUT of the mod and in a safe carrying case if you so desire, that is all FANTASTIC and more than some vapers do.

Also, if you do worry about your mod exploding authentic batteries charged via external charger and purchased from a known approved vendor is your BEST line of defense. I don't know Dashvapes personally so unless you DO, I would suggest authentics, KNOWN ones as your best line of defense. PERIOD. It will cost more for shipping so I'd get a few pairs, personally. Use a safe charger, check your battery for tears and nicks before and after every charge.

This has turned into a bit of a pissing match about THIS MOD and reports from users. I don't personally pay much attention to reddit because I don't think ALL even the Majority are using safe practices so I don't pay it much heed . Maybe more do.

However, I do not believe trying to convince the OP that their gear is unsafe is really the way to go. We should be offering SAFE PRACTICES which is what a LOT of this thread HAS been about, not about the mod itself.

EVEN if your mod vents, if you understand safe practices, e.g. if your mod starts to heat in a supernova fashion toss it far from you then go get your electrical fire extinguisher if you are inside and extinguish it! Same if batteries go nuts on your charger (hopefully located in fire safe location).

There are folks HERE who have survived ecig explosions without major injury. The key is knowing what to be vigilant about and how to handle one if it happens.

The bottom line is, however, MOST vapers will not have a setup that vents, ESPECIALLY if they follow safe practices, and we should be ENCOURAGING the OP here, who is already twitchy so to speak and is already struggling with the RISK ratio.

That is unfortunate because even factoring IN ecig explosions, to me vaping STILL looks safer than cigarette fires and the health consequences of smoking compared to vaping.

Some of you need to knock it off, in my opinion.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The only concern the user should worry about is battery safety, and its obvious to anyone with eyes that the batteries werent responsible in many of these cases. To even begin to claim ALL of this is user error is completley naive.
Is using cheap, off brand batteries (not Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony) with exaggerated ratings considered to be user error? I think so. Not using the best batteries available to me is user error.

I saw a number of posts in your links where the people were using batteries with names that I didn't recognize. Using batteries with questionable specifications is just asking for trouble. As anyone who is familiar with batteries used in vaping is aware, is that off brand "rewrap" batteries often are under-specced from what is advertised.

Although they may not be aware, vapers who use batteries from re-wrap companies may well be misusing/abusing their batteries. Misused/abused batteries eventually will vent gas, flame, or explode. Ignorance is no excuse.

The vaping community needs to educate new vapers about how to better choose batteries. I think we here on ECF do a good job doing that. I don't often visit the other vaping forums like Reddit, so I don't know how good a job those communities are educating novices about batteries.

Last edited:

sbek

Forum Supplier
Dec 18, 2013
Canada
www.dashvapes.com
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: vs supplier rules

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
One of the reason why you may see scorching around a USB port because it is an orifice. Thermal venting will take a path of least resistance. The Drag is designed to blow the magnetic battery doors off in the event of thermal venting. Should the unit be left on its side, or fall over at the beginning of thermal venting, the doors are no longer a path of least resistance – the USB port now becomes that path once heat melts through the plastic battery compartment. Thermal venting is chaotic meaning it cannot be measured in a way that it performs in a predictable manor. This is not exclusive to the problems you have pointed out but an explanation as to why you may see scotching around a USB port. One of these user feels the root of his fire was something logged into the USB port causing a short. If there is any fact to this, that is neglect be it accidental or not.

The majority of these pictures show a battery compartment completely destroyed but no scorching around the USB port. This indicates to me that the source of the fire is the batteries - and why do batteries catch fire?

I never stated all of these claims were user error. I identified how Reddit blows stories out of proportion neglecting to look at the details with everyone pointing fault at the manufacture and not taking in account that user error and or neglect can be contributing factor. I can see we have now resorted to name calling insinuating that I am naïve. If I am naïve for not accepting a device was at fault due to faulty design without actual fact, then what does that make you for believing in the so called armchair experts on Reddit? I have requested to keep the condescending remarks out of this conversation. It is obvious to me that you are too closed minded to have any kind of civil conversation in which both of us, along with other members of ECF could learn something. Saying that, thank you for your efforts but I do not wish to converse with you on this topic any longer.

Oh sorry, I didnt mean that directed at you. It was mainly in general. I was mostly replying to you saying you only found 2 instance of this, when in reality it has escalated to the point where someone is doing autopsys on exploded Drags. I meant for anyone to write all of this evidence as user error would be very naive. Their is easily 25+ instances or more of people claiming they owned a Drag that exploded on them at one point or another. Which is astounding, and if it were user error it wouldnt be that many Drags in that small of time. Obviously something is wrong with them if a regulated mod is doing this.

Anywho, Ive done my part and posted tons of reports of them explodong in all kinds of circumstances. However someone interprets it is up to them. Im not going to sit here and argue anything. If someone obviously feels a certain way then they can roll the dice with their body parts. I know I wont be. Hopefully it does some good for someone and prevents someone from being hurt.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to chime in here (if I'm not, mods please remove this post). I've tried to stay out of it because I was afraid to break any forum rules being a newbie here :)

Previously, we sourced our batteries from Illumn when our trusted supplier overseas wasn't able to keep up with demand - We've now switched back to our trusted supplier overseas.

We're very very vigilant in ensuring the products we carry and receive are authentic, especially with batteries as we know very well how dangerous rewraps can be.

Every new shipment that we receive, we will take several batteries and run them through the paces in different mods we carry, while not quite as thorough as what Mooch does to test the batteries, it gives us a chance to see if they are behaving differently than previous batches.

We received a new batch of iJoy 20700's not too long ago (5-leg) - but they looked a little different than the typical ones we received before. We sent it off to Mooch to test, and it indeed was a different cell.

In the unlikely event something slips through the cracks and a battery is found to be re-wrapped - we would, of course, issue a refund/exchange.

<3

Thank you for your post. It's nice to see a retailer who takes this issue seriously. Many don't. Props for you to put in the time and effort to assure your customers' safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread