Paranormal or Therion (C chip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
In my opinion there is no contest. The best mod of all times is the Therion 75C.
The battery removal problem is an invention, there is a specific position you must place the battery, they come in and out like in any other device. Just need to think for two seconds in a row.
The limitation with the Therion 75C is not the power IMO, but the lower practical coil resistance. 0.15 Ohm is too low for the 75C.
The true problem is to find some of them for purchase, I guess you need to go for the "pre-loved", or second hand, market.

• Informative
Reactions: Kennneth

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
9FC7286D-9AFC-4C4D-BCE9-942A0DEF431A.jpeg
605CA5C9-2106-49EB-8EF8-851CE47081BB.jpeg
In my opinion there is no contest. The best mod of all times is the Therion 75C.
The battery removal problem is an invention, there is a specific position you must place the battery, they come in and out like in any other device. Just need to think for two seconds in a row.
The limitation with the Therion 75C is not the power IMO, but the lower practical coil resistance. 0.15 Ohm is too low for the 75C.
The true problem is to find some of them for purchase, I guess you need to go for the "pre-loved", or second hand, market.
Everyone’s experience is different I guess. “Invention” I take a bit of issue with. What I said happened to me happened to me. Think me a ..... if you must, but I didn’t lie.
I found the easily flying plastic separator between the battery and the bottle to be an issue. It is easier if you leave it out. I did that for a while. Treating it as a sealed battery mod and charging it with a magnetic cable seems to be simplest for me.

• Informative

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
What do you mean .15Ω is too low? I am running FreeMax Mesh Pro triple mesh at .143Ω on two Mirage 75C. I also run them on two Skar DNA75 too.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I found the easily flying plastic separator between the battery and the bottle to be an issue. It is easier if you leave it out. I did that for a while. Treating it as a sealed battery mod and charging it with a magnetic cable seems to be simplest for me.
I believe they are talking about the non-squonk version of the Therion. While I do own four Therion BF 75C, I don't find the bottle, separator, or battery to be a problem. Just slide the bottle out and swing it on the outside. Separator now comes out. Pull the negative side of the battery out first and battery comes out without damage.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I believe they are talking about the non-squonk version of the Therion. While I do own four Therion BF 75C, I don't find the bottle, separator, or battery to be a problem. Just slide the bottle out and swing it on the outside. Separator now comes out. Pull the negative side of the battery out first and battery comes out without damage.
Ah. The non squonk is a two battery device. Totally different. The annoyance with the separator for me is that it is light, and tends to slip from my remaining fingers when attempting to refill it or replace the battery while standing. The battery also sits in a somewhat deep well and if the ribbon gets tucked in behind the battery (as it tends to for me) even merely getting hold of the battery is difficult. I generally had to tamp it out which made me concerned for the bottle.

Reactions: BillW50

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
By design, if you drive 75 W into a 0.15 Ohm coil on a DNA75C - the system will overheat and may go into thermal shutoff.
No damage, just an annoyance and poor battery efficiency.
This said, I never go above 45 W with the DNA75C devices, and use the highest coil resistance I could, to conserve battery power by remaining where the conversion efficiency is higher.
The Therions 75c, by the way, are a dream for MTL.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
No damage, just an annoyance and poor battery efficiency.
Yeah that efficiency rating I have a lot of questions about. As I tested the efficiency of a DNA200 which is rated at 97% I believe, but I was getting something like 75% at 12 watts. And when running at say 50 watts with a dual 18650 DNA, either running a 250C or a 75C, the battery life seems to be the same 220ish puffs. So I am guessing Evolv's efficiency rating must apply only at max power.

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Well those dad-burn Paranormal's are as scare as hens teeth (unless ya want a silver one)!
Anyway, I was given up something I wanted so instead I'm gonna make my own...and it's gonna have an EASY/SECURE battery access cover... two 21700's...with DNA 250C... black ally.
Off to research more... looking for a 510 head that has mass and can be secured with countersink screws, ideas?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks, but looking/planning something a little different, maybe a salute to electrochickens ; )
Don't have a clue (yet) about a good 510 head that will suite me, ideas?

Fair enough. But they do sell parts as well. If anything you can use it as a reference point

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
Been working on the design, pretty sure this is gonna be this size as I've got it drawn out with everything fitting,

The HillBilly - 93mm by 65mm by 27mm
Para Dimensions - 91.5mm by 55mm by 27.5mm (for comparision).

Goals meet so far, seamless box (no screws), isolated/contained battery compartment, hidden automatic magnetic actuated mechanical latch battery cover. Key fluting locations identified. Will be flat black with matte clear coat(s) auto quality.

Still working on further reduction of parasitic losses and heat transfer eff (short wire, mosfet heatsinks, 250c board work, maybe gold plate battery plate contact area). This design aspect about 50% complete.

Some questions, raised 510 connector or (almost) flush with top of mod, pro's/cons?
And anyone know designed preferred electrical contact force for 21700's?

250c with large flat display provides some challenges in making a desired design!

About a week of design finalization, a week for parts ordering and a week to manufacture and assemble.
Wish me well!

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    These are just MY personal preferences.
    Round buttons. Raised and centered 510 (symmetry), I just can't stand atty swirls. But if I could sink a 30mm 510 connector I would. As for sleds, etc. I'd use a Mosmax 21700 sled (I think David's on ebay now) with keystone connectors. Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread