Passthrough power questions. Need some electric numbers help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Sup all. I have a wall wart I use with a passthrough but after testing it it does droop below 5V and I wanted to also play with a VV kit I got from madvapesVariable Voltage Regulator Board Kit Rev 2 and after digging through a closet of electrical junk I came across a old junk powered speaker set I used to use.

The power adapter is pretty big and is 12V 1.5 amp so I am wondering if there is a way to make that the power but I am not good with electrical numbers. I can solder and put it together but when it comes to the raw numbers and what converts to what I am just not sure. Also need to know if that kit can handle 12v. I get fuzzy with the amps. I dont know if the amps are the amps no matter what the volt or if it scales, etc.

If it would work I would love to be able to maybe make a box mod that does batts and has the wall power plug and just make it a all in one box for home or away. If there are already posts on this please post some links as my searchfu has been weak on this topic today. Thanks in advance.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
The amps will grow as the voltage goes down, 12 volt 1.5 amp input to a regulator that is set for a output of 6 volts you will have 3 amps minus the efficiency of the regulator. So if you had a 80% efficient reg you would minus20% off of 3 amps. You would end up with 2.4 amps. The absolute max input on that regulator is 12 volts. So you would be pushing it with a 12 volt adapter. More then likely going to run into thermal issues with it like it is. I would say it will need a nice sized heat sink with it running off a 12 volt power source.

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Thanks for the info so far. Maybe I will just stick with the usb wall wart. I just put a meter on it and it only drops to 4.7 down from 5.2 while vapeing.

My goal really is not so much 5+v vapeing but I just wanna make a all in one solution that lets me run between 3.7-close to 5v. I might just use the cord and plug from the speakers as they are compact and like the way they look.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
i was just about to post almost this exact question :) thanks for the links, dan. question to java, though: the listings for those regulators say their input range is from 3v to 30v. you claim their max input is 12v. *confusedface*

Dan posted some different regulators they are actually alot better then the linear reg that is linked to in the OP,s first post. The 12 volts max input is from the linear reg data sheet http://www.madvapes.com/assets/images/NCP630-D.pdf

tardcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
aaaah, gotcha :) so would the 12v 1.5A power supply provide enough power (w/ the regs dan linked) to vape from, say 4v to about 6v? (at around 4v i'd be using a 1.8-ish ohm lr atty, so about 2.2 amps, at 6v i'd be using a 3.0-3.2 ohm atty, so i'd be pulling like 2 amps). also, would the horn-style switches from madvapes be good for this? (they say 12v 5A rating, so i'm assuming they should be, but you know what they say about assuming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread