Passthrough Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I tried posting on New members forum, but I guess I have too many posts to be able to post there any more. Although I STILL feel like a 'babe in the woods'.

I have been using the V2 notebook passthrough system on my laptop, which stays plugged into wall outlet all the time. While I've not had any problems with this so far, I've been doing alittle reading and getting alittle worried about hurting my computer. Is it ok to use the V2 notebook plugged directly into my computer?

Secondly, I just ordered the VV Passthrough USB 510/eGo yesterday. Will it be ok to plug that into my laptop? I've been reading something about using an adapter. If it's not ok to plug it directly into my computer, can I use the USB to Wall adapter that originally came with my starter kit? Or is this adapter something different from that?

I'm sorry for being so dumb, but while I'm still learning the world of vaping (and loving it!) I'm pretty dumb in the area of computers and electricity, so PLEASE use layman's terminology here...k?

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
It might be safe to plug a PT directly into your computer, it might not be. There have been cases where a PT drew too much current and destroyed the computer's motherboard. If an atty or carto shorts out it could mean instant destruction. Is it worth the risk? A usb wall adapter is the safest way to avoid such a situation. A PT can draw quite a bit of current, so the adapter must be able to handle it. If yours is 2 amp or so it'll work fine. If it's the 500 milliamp type that usually comes with e-cig starter kits it won't produce enough current. Check the lable on your adapter to see what it's rated for. Here's one that will work fine:

2 amp AC to USB Adapter, ideal for Passthroughs

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you use a passthrough on a PC, it's best to use one with a battery box. The battery charges while supplying voltage to the ecig and serves as a controlled buffer for the USB port, requiring less power from the port.

You don't want to induce over-current to the USB ports, since they are an integral part of your motherboard and a failure in the over-current detection of the port will result in smoke being released from the chips on the board. That's a terrifying and expensive experience!

I'd invest in some high MAH batteries and leave the USB ports for what they do best ... running low current devices. Plug the passthrough into the USB wall adapter that came with your charger.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Basically, if it has a built-in (or in-line) battery... it is generally OK to use it on a computer. The question is ...why would you want to?

It vapes off the battery, not the computer. It only trickle charges the battery from the USB cable... generally well under 500 mA (so fine).

Better to have an A/C powered solution with the A/B->USB adapter, or like you said, car adapter. Why tie up a good data port with something that doesn't need data communications. Charge hubs are another option.

The adapter that you ordered, since it is 2.0 amps or better, can support a NO BATTERY FIVE VOLT e-cig in the future too. With those, you DON'T want to use a computer USB port... too much for it.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread