Penelope and Battery Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
Got my Penelope and am enjoying it thoroughly. One issue I've noticed is battery usage. I have made coils with 32g and 34g wire all the way from 1.7ohm to 3.2ohm and on my provari is only get about 1 tank (3 ml) out of an 18650 battery. I know lower ohm / voltage combos suck down the battery quicker but it seems that no matter what I set at it works out about the same. One tank, one 18650. Anybody else notice this?? Am I doing something wrong???

Steve

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
I vape my vari with 3 ohm boges at 4.7v and the penelope at 1.7ohms at 4 v. While your mileage will vary depending vaping habits (chain vape or light hitter ), it sounds like the batt to me. Check the V out on the vari with a freshly charged batt. Should be at or around 4.2.
Then take a long drag off it and check the V out again. If there's a significant drop (4.0 or lower) then the batt most likely is the issue. I would also check the voltage out with the Penelope on a fresh batt without firing the atty and just let it sit for a while. Then go back and check it again to see if there was any drain without a load.

Last edited:

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
I vape my vari with 3 ohm boges at 4.7v and the penelope at 1.7ohms at 4 v. While your mileage will vary depending vaping habits (chain vape or light hitter ), it sounds like the batt to me. Check the V out on the vari with a freshly charged batt. Should be at or around 4.2.
Then take a long drag off it and check the V out again. If there's a significant drop (4.0 or lower) then the batt most likely is the issue. I would also check the voltage out with the Penelope on a fresh batt without firing the atty and just let it sit for a while. Then go back and check it again to see if there was any drain without a load.

I'll try your idea in the morning and see what happens. Sounds like a good test.

Steve

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
I vape a Penelope on a Provari using a brand new AW IMR 18650 2000 mah and I change the battery approximately twice before the 3ml Peny runs dry. I think this is normal. The Peny ohms out at 1.8 and I have the Provari at 3.9 volts. I usually press the power button on for approximately 2 seconds before taking a drag, so maybe that is a reason for the two battery charges before running the Peny dry. I do though, never run the battery below 3.5 volts. I did notice that the Peny is very efficient with the juice.

Last edited:

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
I go through 3ml at work at 1.7 @ 4v on my current coil. I still have enough charge on mine to refill on the same batt and vape until I go to bed at around 11 pm. I toss the batt on the charger then and switch out between 2 AW IMRs in the a.m.

I do take frequent short drags while at home and at work and do not do a pre-burn because I find that it tends to gunk up my wick sooner than if I drag the mouthpiece right away.

Like I mentioned before, your mileage may vary.

Happy Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread