Not open for further replies.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Why?

I been doing that constantly for over 6month on my Dell.

Hits almost the same as the 5v PT in my car....not as consistant though

You kinda answered you're own question with "Hits almost the same as the 5v PT in my car....not as consistant though"

USB ports aren't rated for the amperage output that a LR atty and some reg attys require and trying to get that out of a usb port can damage the motherboard, usb port and or other internals. Even if you're ok in that regard you're not getting the full effect of using the LR atty because the port just can't deliver what's required.

As another poster said I'd recommend getting a 5v usb/ac adapter rated at 2 amps or more. An adapter with less than a 2amp rating won't deliver the full requirement to a lr atty. Madvapes sells them as well as other places and you'll get the full effect without risk of damage to your computer. Another plus of the adapter is you aren't bound to a computers USB port. Anywhere there is an AC outlet you're good to go.

As another poster said I'd recommend getting a 5v usb/ac adapter rated at 2 amps or more. An adapter with less than a 2amp rating won't deliver the full requirement to a lr atty. Madvapes sells them as well as other places and you'll get the full effect without risk of damage to your computer. Another plus of the adapter is you aren't bound to a computers USB port. Anywhere there is an AC outlet you're good to go.

I run my PT with LR atty's using my ipad wall charger rated at 5.1v~2.1A.
Awesome vape!

MadHatter

Sic itur ad astra
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2010
Waco, Texas
Based on what I recall from physics, even with a 5V 2.1A USB wall charger won't give you the full effect from a LR atty.

Ohm's law is I=V/R, where I is current in amperes, V is volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

So with 5V and 1.5Ω you get 3.33 amps, which is more than the charger can supply. Anything below 2.38Ω you will not be getting consistent voltage.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Most USB Hubs have power supplies over 2 amps. Is anybody using them for vaping?

I use an unpowered USB hub with my PT. Typically I don't vape with it, but I do use it for dry burning. I don't think I would risk plugging a PT directly into a USB port. Anything could happen, hubs are cheap, motherboards are not.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I run my PT using my ipad wall charger rated at 5.1v~2.1A.

Just picked one of these bad boys up at Best Buy, today. Can't wait to try it! Been using my V4L PT plugged into my PC's USB port for over a year, wth no apparant problems, but it didn't vape any different than my 3.7V batts. Finally checked my PC's stats and saw that both USB ports are only half an Amp. Guess that's why! Duh:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread