Personal Starter Kit (Placing my first order)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryum

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Tx
As you will find out, I am a pretty big research hog before trying something new. Did the same with RC helicopters, same with all my new interest. If you see any problems with this order let me know.

First post with tons of info this has more detailed info, but I was basically looking for the lowest prices upfront cost without cutting into quality.

The main first problem I ran into on reading the board is how polar opposite it seemed on "what is best" divided between KR808 and 510 products. One post makes you think KR808s are insanely hard to refill, and just overall a pain in the ..... Another post will make you think 501s have too expensive upkeep cost, and does not perform as well as the KR808s.
With so much riding on the "eye of the beholder" issues the only to break through this barrier without buying both and just trying it myself was to keep reading.

From Scottbee's battery test post I found a quantifiable reason for why people found the KR808's better. After watching various youtube videos and seeing people refill the 510's vs KR808's I saw why people think the 510's is easier to use.

The next issue to tackle is, "Where to buy all this crap?" I made this list so I could quickly and easily make side by side comparisons for items that are sold from suppliers I have seen mentioned, and endorsed on this forum.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ick-dirty-list-i-put-together.html#post962217

Now having a basic idea of the real prices of parts by seeing the prices from many suppliers I start putting my starter kit together. You may ask, "why not just buy a premade starter kit?" That is a good question, and the answer is, Almost all the starter kits come with preselected flavor which is usually tobacco, they usually come with multiples of parts I wouldn't need just to try it out, and most importantly no starter kit I could find comes with parts from the 510 and KR808. Which is what I would need to splice together for better quality.

Here is Ryum's Starter Kit with explanations
I have decided to use 2 suppliers instead of heaven gifts because together they have all the same parts, and no shipping cost on orders over $14, which I can manage to do.

The power supply
$13 Black Manual USB passthrough for KR808D-1
Why not a regular portable battery? you may ask. Getting a regular battery means you have to get a regular charger. For trying this whole device out for a first time I do not need it to be portable. If I do like it enough to want to make it portable, I will get The Bartleby. As shown in Scott's battery post, many of the portable batteries do poorly on his test. The Bartleby does very well, and has many features I would want if I were to take it with me. The physical switch so it can not be accidentally turned on. The power output, and longevity is high. It has been praised by many posters on this forum, and its $50. Most of the other "mod" batteries prices are around $100 for what seems to offer nothing more then what the Bartleby does.

Cartridges
$3 5pc black empty round cartridges for Joye510
Nothing really to explain, if you look on the price list I made you will see these are the best price.

Adapter
$3 1x 901-510 adapter(901/808D-1 bat to 510 at)
So I can use the KR808 battery on the 510 carts it only cost $3 anyways.

Atomizer
$8 Matte black atomizer for Joye510 mini e-cig
Easier to refill the cartridge that goes with atomizer, longer life expectancy then KR8 cartomizers

Juice
$6 10ml 24mg E-juice Coca Cola

Total Cost $33, this is about 3 dollars more expensive then the order that was all from heavens gift, and not $15 shipping cost. In fact cost for shipping on this order is $0

That price is just about the same or less then all of the starter kits I have seen, comes with more juice then "real" starter kits, and in my opinion with a better combination of parts then usually offered with other starter kits.

I am basically paying $16 for that battery, and adapter to save myself $50 for the Bartleby just in case I find vaping is not for me.

As for where I am going to plug in the passthrough, I ordered $4 USB Dual Power Adapter for that. I needed one anyways for my ipod touch.

Giving credit to
KentC
Uzzaperez
Scottbee
DC2
and many others for the metric ton of info.

TLDR version Placing my first order, wanting feedback.
$13 Black Manual USB passthrough for KR808D-1
$3 5pc black empty round cartridges for Joye510
$3 1x 901-510 adapter(901/808D-1 bat to 510 at)
$8 Matte black atomizer for Joye510 mini e-cig
$6 10ml 24mg E-juice Coca Cola

Last edited:

Ryum

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Tx
$2 510-901 adapter
Is what I would need to hook The Bartleby up to cartomizers. Does anyone here have a Bartleby that can provide a side by side comparison for 510's carts/atomizer vs KR's cartomizers?

Given the same power supply I figured they would be much closer together while in use, but the 510 atomizer with a longer avg life span would be better cost wise.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Looks like to me you have it all figured out. You definitely do your research. I've been vaping 9 1/2 months and you seem to know more about all of it than I do. You may want to get extra atomizers unless you are going to use the cartomizers. It is much cheaper to buy atomizers.

I would suggest the higher nic eliquid. It doesn't cost any more but you can mix and go down in strength.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
$2 510-901 adapter
Is what I would need to hook The Bartleby up to cartomizers. Does anyone here have a Bartleby that can provide a side by side comparison for 510's carts/atomizer vs KR's cartomizers?

Given the same power supply I figured they would be much closer together while in use, but the 510 atomizer with a longer avg life span would be better cost wise.

Unless you abuse them with cleaning, your 510 atomizers will last longer than any cartomizer. As far as difference between the Bartleby with the 510 vs. the cartomizer - much of it's in the math - more wattage from the 510 and hence more vapor and with some flavors (not sure about Cola), better flavor too. But the cartomizers are good for on the road. Suggest adding the blank cartomizers and the syringe on the heaven gifts order. So for $2 since you're there (ie shipping).... I'd get the 510 to 901/carto adapter as well - it's $6 plus shipping at altsmokes. I also prefer the flat tips - I get a better seal.

And I'm with martha - at least one more atty. You can sell them to me if vaping isn't for you ;-)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
And I thought I spent too much time researching. If you would have posted this a week ago, I could have saved a few bucks. Oh well, it's only money and you can't take it with you. sigh

Yeah, but you've got two week experience on him now - you have knowledge - he only has data ;-) I could make a case for by passing stickies too. lol. How many have said: "now I'm more confused and overwhelmed than before!"??

Sometimes getting a cheap starter kit is best.

Ryum

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Tx
I agree that the stickies that cover more than one model type are a bit overwhelming when first starting out. I never heard about these devices til the end of last week. Got tons of info from posters like Kent, put together a pricing list so I could figure out approx how much I should be spending per part, and placed the order by the end of the weekend.

Just waiting around now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread