• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Personal weapon reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
For ease of searching for the proactive defense people. I thought I should have one spot shopping/reviews for the hand held defense against the zombie hoards thread. Please limit posts only to the weapon you're reviewing and post questions/requests in a different thread, even if you need to create a new one if you feel there isn't currently one for it.

Weapons shall include but not be limited to firearms, edged, blunt, electrical (though portable), kinetic, or something you reasonably feel would be effective against a brain craver! Things like "Aqua Net and a lighter" don't really qualify for this thread though and will probably be deleted by me to prevent clutter and 'one-up-manship'.

Guess I will start with the twins, a pair of XD 45's. I am a huge fan of the 45 acp round. There are tons of different rounds readily available, from basic target to extreme self defense. It is a highly popular round, so finding ammo is easy and if you buy in bulk, its pretty cheap. The guns themselves are easy to disassemble and clean, have endless aftermarket accessories available and are built to last a lifetime.

The gun comes in a nice gun case and has all of the XD accessories included, which are: the gun, 2 magazines, a dual magazine holster, a gun holster (right hand draw), a speed loader, and a cleaning brush and lock. Having 2 matching 45's I called Springfield Armory and asked if they had a left handed holster available seeing as I had 2 guns. Yes, a left handed holster is available, and they sent it to me FREE of charge, not even charging me for shipping. Class act by a great company.

I ended up purchasing 2 extra magazines, so now I have 2- 10 rounds mags and 4-13 round mags. I also bought grip extenders from Pearce grips, which allows an extra round to be inserted into each of the 13 round mags, which gives me a total of 78 rounds of zombie killing ammo available.

I also just had a custom shoulder rig made, which holds both guns, 4 extra magazines, 6 throwing knives and 2 Kershaw whiplash knives. The rig is kind of heavy when fully loaded, but not so bad that it cant be worn if needed. Add the 2 laserlyte/ka-bar pistol bayonets, and it is a complete Zombie killing system.

The twins:
0025.jpg

The rig:
008-3.jpg

Last edited:
The next weapon is the 12 gauge shotgun. My personal choice is anything from the Mossberg family. I had my ultimate 12 ga on order about a month ago, but the supplier was out of stock. Its still on the "to get" list.

The one I want is the 590A1 SPX (#50771). Basically its a black parkerized, 3" chambered, 9 shot capacity Zombie killing machine. Not only is it built to military specs, but the thing comes from Mossberg with an Ontario M9 Bayonet & Scabbard, and yes there is a bayonet lug on gun. Other features include front fiber optic sights, rear ghost ring sights, ported barrel, factory sling swivels and a synthetic stock. Being a Mossberg, the aftermarket accessories are almost endless.

There are tons of 12 gauges to choose from, but for me, its Mossberg or nothing. I have never shot the 590A1 SPX, but I have seen one in person and the damn thing is awesome. I would assume (yeah, I know...) that like other Mossbergs, its just a great shotgun that will stand up to years of abuse.

mossberg590a1spx.jpg

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I'll limit myself to firearms that I've owned or shot extensively except where I note otherwise. I'd also like to mention that I'm familiar with both the Springfield XD45 and Mossberg shotgun and can find no exception to mutt's descriptions. I will add a little extra information on the different models though. Starting from the top of the line 590A1 and working down, there is an increase in 'plastic' internal parts with the 590A1 being entirely comprised of metal parts. I have, well had, a Mossberg 88 (bottom of the line) and didn't have any significant problems though except with Wal-Mart ammunition not firing and that was more than likely due the ammunition and not a failing on the Mossberg's part. This should be noted not as a defect in manufacturing but as a note to long term reliability where you can expect the 'plastic' to fail quicker than a respective metal part to due to wear. I had zero mechanical failures firing in excess of 1000 rds with the 88 but I don't think it would survive 10,000+ rds without something beginning to wear or fail unlike the 500 and higher models. Wow, that was a long 'excerpt' :D

My reviews!
Ruger 10/22 in stainless/synthetic with a Simmons 'whitetail classic' scope on Ruger mount and Simmons rings.
Excellent all around gun with superior accuracy and reliability. This was literally my trunk gun. All I would do is remove the scope and throw it the trunk of my car and it outlasted 3 cars! Never cleaned past a simple chamber spray and paper towel wipe and it's never failed to fire, ever. Sub 1" groups at 100yds shooting off my backpack with whatever .22lr was cheapest that month. Only concerns with this gun are magazine (clip) related and I'll explain how to fix that. Only use the factory 10rd or aftermarket magazines that have steel 'lips'. The plastic lip magazines will wear down and cause the rounds to mis-feed or not feed at all. There's really not a way to fix them once they're worn either so you're better off buying steel lips from the beginning. I won't even try to detail all the accessories available for this model but suffice it to say that if you can dream it, it's probably available. Everything from miniature anti-aircraft models you can crank like a gattling gun to simulate 'full auto' to pistol sized variants are out there. It's a great gun and anyone can shoot it well, most can shoot it 'expertly'.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
AR-15 platform (rifles/carbines)

I had a Colt AR-15 (rifle or 20" barrel) for several years and while I found it to be an extremely accurate long arm, I also found it to be the highest maintenance firearm I've even owned. I'm still not sure if it was truly worth all the aggravation to get the accuracy though. If you can keep it clean, it works fine but once it starts getting dirty/fouled, the trouble WILL start. I found the clean to fouled rate to be around 600 rds before I would just give up and pack it in for the day. Cleaning the bolt is mandatory and not something you'd really want to do in the dark or the wild. I'd recommend a Bushmaster if you had to have one as they have a 'looser' mil spec chamber than the colt and would probably not suffer as badly from the fouling as my Colt did.
I have shot one of those carbon fiber pistols and it critically jammed half way through a 20rd magazine. The pistols lack the most important improvement made to the AR platform, the little forward assist button that ratchets the bolt forward if the shell doesn't fully load and the bolt isn't locked. When this 'jam' happens, the weapon is disabled as you can not retract the bolt and eject the shell, nor can you fire the weapon to eject the spent shell. I did eventually get the shell out but I will not disclose how as it was a 'less than safe' method.
Positive attributes are accuracy, ease of finding accessories, low recoil.
Negative attributes are maintenance, cost, questionable reliability if not properly maintained or not equipped with forward assist, and maintenance.

So in case you can't tell, there will be a LOT of cleaning involved with the AR15 to keep it running smoothly. It is not a 'hearty' gun in my opinion.

Your way of doing reviews is probably the best way. I probably shouldnt have done a review on a gun I never fired, but felt confident enough in the weapon without ever firing it. I do currently own a Mossberg 535 combo and a 500 410 ga pump. I also own a Mossberg 243 bolt action rifle and I just sold my tactical 500 12 ga last year so I felt pretty confident recommending the 590. Its one of 2 fantasy guns on my list.

That being said, I would like to +1 your recommendation for using only factory Ruger magazines on the 10/22. I have tried all sorts of hi-cap magazines and they all eventually fail. What I currently use at the moment, is a tri-mag set up that takes 3 factory mags and holds them together as one unit. You still have to drop and rotate after 10 rounds, but this can be done quickly and its nice to know there will be no feed problems at all because the factory magazines are still the best you can get for your 10/22. The nice thing about the tri-mag set up, is there is no permanent changes that need to be done to the magazines, so if you take the tri-mag apart, you still have unaltered factory mags.

001-2.jpg

Last edited:

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
Gotta have scopes on those AR sniper rifles (ours are Rock River Predator & Operator) with an ACOG solar power capable scope. Don't forget extra batteries for your scopes--if you don't have an ACOG--can be kept in your rifle's .... stock. And please learn from my DH and don't leave the scope turned on! LMAO! We have a 100 round betamax clip and several clips modified to hold 30 rds of .223. We have a 5.7 rifle with several 50 rd clips, also a 5.7 pistol. 5.7's are a huge round, but muzzle flip and rebound are nominal, which for me is key...I am disabled, but I can use the 5.7's. 5.7 made by FNH.

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
That being said, I would like to +1 your recommendation for using only factory Ruger magazines on the 10/22. I have tried all sorts of hi-cap magazines and they all eventually fail. What I currently use at the moment, is a tri-mag set up that takes 3 factory mags and holds them together as one unit. You still have to drop and rotate after 10 rounds, but this can be done quickly and its nice to know there will be no feed problems at all because the factory magazines are still the best you can get for your 10/22. The nice thing about the tri-mag set up, is there is no permanent changes that need to be done to the magazines, so if you take the tri-mag apart, you still have unaltered factory mags.

The only downside of the tri-mag adapter is that the business end of two magazines are now exposed to the elements, which, can result in all sorts of nasty things happening when you don't need them to. So if you're gonna use a tri-mag adapter I strongly suggest investing in some mag caps for the two mag ends not in the weapon. they run about $ 3.

Also, if you wanna keep vaping in an emergency situation, if your PV is the right diameter, you can mount it to a weaver or picattiny rail system with a scope ring or two, here's an example in silver aluminum to match my stainless Thompson/Center Contender in 7mm TCU:

8Bu77.jpg

Last edited:
The only downside of the tri-mag adapter is that the business end of two magazines are now exposed to the elements, which, can result in all sorts of nasty things happening when you don't need them to. So if you're gonna use a tri-mag adapter I strongly suggest investing in some mag caps for the two mag ends not in the weapon. they run about $ 3.

Also, if you wanna keep vaping in an emergency situation, if your PV is the right diameter, you can mount it to a weaver or picattiny rail system with a scope ring or two, here's an example in silver aluminum to match my stainless Thompson/Center Contender in 7mm TCU:

8Bu77.jpg

I have a holder for the trimags, so no worries on it getting gunked up. Nice set up on the Thompson E-Cig.

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
Weapon review: The H&R 1871 Parnder Protector in 12 gauge.

The H&R 1871 pardner Protector is a slide-action 12 gauge shotgun (2.75" and 3" magnum), 18.5" cylinder bore barrel with a bead sight, black parkerized finish and polymer stock/forend, 5(+1) tube magazine, purchased on sale from ....'s Sporting Goods for $192.59 out the door.

For a budget shotgun, this thing is built like a tank. The receiver is steel, with a humpbacked shape reminiscent of earlier browning pattern shotguns from Savage and Winchester (which I find aesthetically pleasing). The internals are copied from that of a Remingtong 870, which is a proven design with dual action bars. Having used both, and taken them apart, I couldn't see any notable differences between them, but I did not try swapping them. The action works smoothly out of the box, with no failures to feed or failures to eject seen out of the box. The parkerized finish is very uniform, and fit and finish are not what one would expect from a shotgun that cost less than two bills with tax.

Also: the barrel ring is farther forward than that of the 870, meaning that the barrels will NOT interchange. Other 870 parts such as stocks, forends, and even magazine extensions are useable on this weapon. Also, the receiver is tapped for a scope mount, which is difficult to find.

TGZPs.jpg

What

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
H&R Pardner Protector update:

Most accessories for the Remington 870 are very compatible. As can be seen by the added 6-round sidesaddle. The forend did have to be clearanced on the left side as it did overlap the receiver, and this was done with a hacksaw and file. The +2 extension is from tac-star, which required shortening to not extend past the muzzle. This was done with a tube cutter, and the end was capped with an epoxied in place 1" copper pipe cap which was then painted black. The stock magazine tube has dimples which limit the capacity to 5 shots which are easily removed with a sanding drum on the trusty dremel tool. The forend strap was created by me from some 1" nylon webbing, a few machine screws and washers and a 1" slide buckle I had on hand. Also, I added a universal quad-rail mount just behind the barrel ring with one of the mounts ground off to clear the barrel. I should have a working remote-switched light mounted by the end of the week. So, there you have it, a nice handling 7+1 combat shotgun for $270. I think this is a good example of quality equipment not costing a fortune, if you've got the necessary skills to tweak things. All in all, I say this project reeks of winning.

SVt0r.jpg

Anyone need weapon improvement/modification/repair advice, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

DannyW

Moved On
Mar 27, 2011
Mayberry of course
Hey pharmboy cool PV!!

8Bu77.jpg

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
Big XD fan myself, but can't have too many weapons around due to strict limitations enforced by the local Minister of Finance and Warfare (a.k.a SWMBO/LOML). My XD45 Compact w/NS and XD9 Subcompact (both with a grunch of factory compact/extended magazines) are around for when the SHTF, and a Kahr P9 and Walther PPS 40 pull duty for CC.

But really, when it comes to the zombie hordes, it doesn't matter so much what you shoot, but that you always follow Rule 4.

Ashikage

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Riley, Kansas
I'll admit that I don't have too much in the experience in the field of shotguns; I own one, but I've never shot it. More for home defense sort of deal. Nonetheless, it seems like it would be a cumbersome weapon to tote around, especially considering the limited application of anti-zombie use.

I see a lot of people tend to lean towards the AR series and, for the life of me, I cannot understand why. I tote around an M4 carbine for the majority of my time and I can't stand the damn thing; it breaks far too easily, and a single speck of dust or sand will cause your weapon system to hopelessly jam up and necessitate an armorer-level breakdown to repair it to working order.

Perhaps that was a bit of an exaggeration on the last, but I can't see using a weapon that fickle for defense. I'm also not too fond of the 5.56mm round.

Something like the Ruger Mini-14 I could get behind though, especially if chambered for 7.62. For a scope though, I'd recommend an ACOG if you can get one cheap. I would not pay between $900-$1200 for it though; far too expensive in the places I've seen. My own scope is an NC Star Mk. III; I've yet to have a problem with it.

Last edited:

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
The reason shotguns (pumps in particular) are popular:

1) no extensive maintenance requirements

2) versatility of ammunition choices: birdshot, buckshot, slugs, breaching rounds, less-lethal, flares, etc

3) Ease of use with relatively little training. Not saying the shotgun is a magical paintbrush of doom, but a woman or child with a few minutes of instruction can hit a man-sized target given a properly sized shotgun with low-recoil loads

4) Magazine configuration: you can top off your ammunition supply without having to render your weapon inert, also, if need be, you can change ammunition types for special situations by inserting a single round at the head of the feed tube, eg: loading a flare to get attention without dropping a mag.

5) Firepower: with 00 Buck loads, even a geriatric double-barrel can send 26 8mm projectiles downrange every few seconds.

6) Availability of ammuntion: I can't recall being anywhere that shotgun ammunition was hard to procure.

7) Acceptability: you can own a gentlemanly shotgun for busting clays(great practice) that can be turned into a fighting weapon in a matter of minutes by swapping barrels and adding a few accessories.

Again, these are just my opinions, but I'd love to hear this debate hashed out a bit more. Feel free to opine at will.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I'm trying to be flexible here but the thread for discussion is "Zombie Tools". This thread was intended as a reference guide for quote "PERSONAL weapons review". I didn't want this to be a this over that thread but a "I have an X and these are the pro's and con's that I have found with it" thread. The simple fact is that any weapon will do the job if properly used. With that being said, I don't expect a debate over what sized rock works best to cave somethings head in since I doubt anyone on here has personally bashed something's head in with a rock enough times (with the same rock AND other rocks) to formulate a reasonable opinion based on facts. Speculation is better suited to the other thread that I mentioned before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread