Pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbalou32

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Central FL
As an old timer, I still enjoy reading a newspaper but delivery issues and costs have ended that. So I've turned to online news but noticed that many of the national news sites have reverted to paywalls. Even Google news links have gotten worse. I have found a workaround that works on most of the sites.
The local news channels are so loaded with ads that I lose patience waiting for them to load. And then the clickbait slideshow sites - who has time for that?

Your imput?

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I find it hard to believe that newspapers are still in publication. I prefer reading the majority of my news on my phone through a news app called SmartNews. I have also used their website on my laptop. Many options to customize what you are interested in reading or just how depressed you want to be. unnamed.gif Good luck to you with finding a newspaper alternative. There are so many available now and I am sure others will have suggestions also.

SmartNews - Discover your world every day

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Max Power

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
As an old timer, I still enjoy reading a newspaper but delivery issues and costs have ended that. So I've turned to online news but noticed that many of the national news sites have reverted to paywalls. Even Google news links have gotten worse. I have found a workaround that works on most of the sites.
The local news channels are so loaded with ads that I lose patience waiting for them to load. And then the clickbait slideshow sites - who has time for that?

Your imput?
Yup, I share your annoyance. I use apple news, and even they have lots of paid content. The only good news is they tell you up front what is behind a paywall. Google is really annoying since they don’t tell you until you have opened the link. I unfortunately don’t have any suggestions for you, I guess news organizations need to make money.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
uBlockOrigen, cuts out most of the ads, makes life somewhat more pleasant. I can't find much news, as in who, what where, when, how. What i find is some yoyo's interpretation of events. I am yoyo enough to do my own interpreting. FOX News has a nice slogan, too bad they don't live it.

uBlock Origin - Free, open-source ad content blocker.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Your imput?

As CMD-Ky mentioned, a Good Ad Blocking program can really help.

I've used Adblock Plus in Chrome for years. Couldn't Imagine not using it or something similar.

Adblock Plus - free ad blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread