Pet pics (Come here to see the Mastiff!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
I've had dogs all my life, and loved them all, but there are a few that come along that are so special....it's hard to explain to anyone that hasn't had that relationship with another critter. I have never had such a close relationship as I had with him...I swear he knew my every thought and feeling. I had to send my "four-legged son" to the Rainbow Bridge 15 months ago (lymphoma), and I still cry over it.

Boogieface.jpg

kellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
Binghamton, NY
Amazing how much our fur babies impact our lives in soo many ways. They love us no matter what. They are always happy to see us and if we have a bad day a couple of sloppy kisses and a few tail wags make it all go away. They depend on us for everything and they can't tell us what is wrong when they don't feel well. It is such a helpless feeling.

bikerdudejl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
ma
that was my golden for me, he was my best friend! knew exactly what was going on. if I was sick in bed watching tv he was right there next to me eating my saltines and drinking my gingerale, everynight when i got home from work we took a ride to the local store grabbed something to eat and headed home. evey saturday and sunday wed get up bright and early together and have breakfast and then go for our coffee ride. i sadly lost him 2 years ago on easter to a large cancer tumor in his abdomen... Cant even stand easter now! :.(

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
I just wanted to say thank you, guys...

I went away, and had myself a good cry, and now I am just focusing on the moment. For now we are still ok. Myst can still walk. And it's not like she is in pain, and there are things to help, like doggie wheelchairs... For awhile. And not yet. Not today. Not tomorrow.

It really has become a cliche that dogs teach us the same wisdom as the Yogis: to live in the moment. They do. And they show us how.

I don't know about anyone else, but, nerd that I am, I find solace in philosophy. :) The thought that comes to my mind often nowadays is that nothing is unbearable, because, in the end, we have to bear it one way or another. There is great power in acceptance, as all great wisdom traditions teach...

Three years ago my Mom lost both of her Siberian cats. One got hit by a car when she got out accidentally, and the other died of cancer three months later. She was more than heartbroken. She swore that she'll never have another cat, because she couldn't go through this again. Four months later she had a kitten - a dear friend gave her one. It wasn't a well-bred fancy cat like her previous ones. It was just "cat" - four paws, long skinny tail, and silky calico coat. She was tiny - fit comfortably in the palm of one hand. She was all ears, and pink nose, and huge amber eyes. And she was sooooo funny. She's tease Myst unmercifully and drive the poor dog to distraction. She never stood still. She'd hide on top of a bookcase (how she got there I can't even imagine) and jump down on passing people. And my Mom loves her now just as much as she loved her previous cats. It's not a replacement - individual animals are no more "replaceable" than individual people. But now my Mom had someone else to love. And she was much, much happier.

And that's the point. People often talk about having pets because pets love you unconditionally. But we tend to romanicize all too often. Surely dog and cats and other creatures love. But their love is different than ours. They love in more immediate ways that translate into "safety" and "food" and "protecting the family because family is survival". It's not less of a love than our abstract idea of love, but dogs and cats don't think abstractly. Sometimes we actually do them a disservice by projecting on them our own romantic ideas and ideals, rather than appreciating them for what they really are - wonderful, complex, beautiful creatures that honor us by adopting us as part of their world.

I think that living with a pet is about love - but just as much about giving love as about getting it. We need to be loved in a non-judgmental ways, sure - but if we think about it, we don't really know that our pets don't judge us in their own way, we just don't know about it, mostly. But human beings need to love without fear of rejection, and maybe that's the key to the whole thing.

Myst saved my life twice. I would literally be pushing up daisies twice over if it wasn't for her. The first time she chased away a drunk (or drugged) would-be robber with a knife. It wasn't, on her part, an act that we would call "altruistic". I'm fairly sure that she did it because she considers me a resource necessary for survival - a resource that she would defend to the death, as her wild relatives would defend their pack. But, on the other hand, how often do we hear that love is about "not being able to live without someone"... It all boils down to the same thing.

We love them when they are young, and we love them when they are old - and even beyond.

Old dogs are funny - in some ways they are even more fun then puppies. They get set in their ways, and acquire odd little habits, and then get all put out if something interferes.

I moved her food bowl. Put her food in it, put it down, Myst was all happy, as usual, but when the bowl got to the floor, she stood over it and stared. First at me, then at the bowl, rinse and repeat. Finally, she sighed, and started pushing the bowl around with her nose. Well, that never happened before, usually she tears into her food. I actually got worried that she lost her appetite or something... That wasn't it. She pushed the bowl back to its old place, and happily ate there, looking at me once in a while with that "stupid human" expression. LOL

Anyways. Again, thanks, everyone, for support. I love this group. :) And I sooooo enjoy everyone's pictures and stories. But, I think to be fair, we need more cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread