PG or VG base when ordering Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ickus

Dec 26, 2010
New York
I just found out how to make liquids not to long ago, so on the dime, I got some vegetable glycerin, and 5ml of both Peppermint and vanilla flavors. I have a page with ratios with and without nicotine, but on the nicotine ordering page, it ask for nicotine level (12, 24, and 36, 48, 60's which cost and extra $5, 10, 15.) Then it asks for base liquid. So instead of winging it, I'd like to know if anyone has any tips on this. Since i'm using VG already in my mix, should I get the N with vg, or would it be better to get PG?

Thanks in advance!
~Ickus.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
To answer your question it would be helpful to know what ratio you like to vape. If you like to vape all VG then get your base in VG. If like me you vape 80pg/20vg then I would say get all PG. Also use a good calculator, i use this one from ECF member Breaktru:

eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator

for example I use 100mg/ml nic and all pg. I mix 6 mls nic base w/32 mls pg and 12 mls vg. This provides 50ml of base liquid @ 12mg/ml 76pg/24vg. When I add flavoring (which is PG based @ around 10%) I end up with a juice that is around 10.5 mg/ml and just about 80pg/20vg.

Ickus

Dec 26, 2010
New York
Nice, thanks for that link. It'll take me a few to fiqure out how to use it, and further more, I already order the nic with VG =/ Although I do like thick smoke, so I guess worst come to worst, I can always order another thing of nic with PG. Oh btw, this is the site with ratio (Which I follow with parts= drops) How to Make Your Own E Liquid | Electronic Cigarette Sale. Thanks.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Nice, thanks for that link. It'll take me a few to fiqure out how to use it, and further more, I already order the nic with VG =/ Although I do like thick smoke, so I guess worst come to worst, I can always order another thing of nic with PG. Oh btw, this is the site with ratio (Which I follow with parts= drops) How to Make Your Own E Liquid | Electronic Cigarette Sale. Thanks.

Do yourself a huge favor and head over to the DIY section of the forum. There is a boatload of information there. Read the stickies! Trust me the information on this forum will help you shorten the learning curve and provide you with accurate information. You will most certainly save yourself some significant cash if you do your homework first.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Some people have a sensitivity to PG, so there is a good reason some people avoid it. If you don't, then generally speaking juices with a predominantly PG base have more impact. There are a few notable exceptions of all-VG juices that have guts, but most of them are airy compared to their PG cousins.

If you're making your own stuff and you aren't sensitive to PG, I would recommend getting your nic in a PG base. Then you can tailor the VG content to your liking to balance the throat hit and vapor production to your tastes.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Just as an FYI- PG base nicotine is far easier to work with than VG base nicotine. The VG base is essentially 100% VG with the exception of the nicotine and is VERY *thick*.

That being said, it's hard to work with. Moving it from storage, to a syringe, and into your juice mix can be a process which is no fun. So depending on your PG/VG ratio, and your desired nicotine strength- PG based is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread