PG Sensitivty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
I may be sensitive to PG as I'm showing some of the signs. My question is does anyone have any experience with how much PG content a PG sensitive person might be able to tolerate (10, 20, 50%)? or.. are people who are PG sensitive going to need 100%VG? I know reactions are going to vary based on personal sensitivity but I'm looking for general experiences so I don't waste money buying every PG/VG/H2O combination. I'd like to narrow it down a bit. Thanks.

wbart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2013
Easton, MD, USA
I agree. When I started I got a bottle of 100% of both just to make sure I was not sensitive to either. If you think you are sensitive you could do the same but add the PG slowly to see when you start showing signs

Would not recommend vaping 100% PG if you think you are allergic..
You are asking for a bad time

Melis

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Papabogart, I can only share my experience, as Im only 35 days off analogs. I started with Halo juices, and they dont disclose their pg/vg. I then went to 50/50, which was great At a local B& M shop, loved their flavor, but started itching when I vaped all day. After checking, it was 80/20. I put it away, itching stopped. Went back to it, started itching and got raw throat. Just my experience, maybe it was the vendor flavoring or something, but ive vaped 60/40 and 50/50 since, with no problems.

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
Yes, I think I am finding this true also. I actually can get a bit of a cough if I vape high PG levels. I also feel that I really like the smoothness of the taste of vg. Most of my 50/50 works well for me but I have some 70/30 and it bothers me. Most of them have extra flavor so I will be cutting some with VG and I have some WTA that I can add drops in if needed.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well let's define "I don't like PG" versus those who have a real negative reaction to it.

You can find it's harsh and just don't like the experience. PG by it's nature can produce harshness, but not liking it isn't really an adverse/allergic reaction either.

The people who are allergic to it seem to fall into two broad categories: The people who can tolerate the amount of PG used in flavorings as a carrier - and that may amount to up to 20% of a mixed liquid. And those unfortunate folks who cannot tolerate any PG in any amount at all without having a full blown allergic reaction to it. I fall into the "up to 20% category" - but I also take antihistamines every day.

Symptoms? Well one person posted intense itching. That is a very real symptom of an allergic reaction and not something to be messed with. According to my allergist that indicates the allergic reaction is producing nerve damage. Other fun possibilities can include chronic nausea while vaping, vomiting, difficulty breathing, numbness in the extremities, headache and dermal reactions on the face that can look like acne or roseacia. There are others - those are the ones I can remember right now.

How you tell if it's an issue or how much of an issue? Simple - you eliminate it. First, stop vaping period and see if the symptoms also stop within two hours. If you had a problem and it went away... Next step is to move onto high VG (100 VG liquids with PG only in the flavorings) or 100 VG and see if, hopefully, the problems don't present again.

My entire experience with high PG liquids lasted all of my first four days of vaping. By day four the reaction to vaping a 100 PG liquid was so intense that it put me off vaping anything for the next three days. In my case it was nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing - like my lungs were lined with wet cheesecloth, and intense bursts of itching on my forearms and hands. Believe me, if you have a genuine adverse/allergic problem with PG the symptoms won't be subtle.

Last edited:

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I may be sensitive to PG as I'm showing some of the signs. My question is does anyone have any experience with how much PG content a PG sensitive person might be able to tolerate (10, 20, 50%)? or.. are people who are PG sensitive going to need 100%VG? I know reactions are going to vary based on personal sensitivity but I'm looking for general experiences so I don't waste money buying every PG/VG/H2O combination. I'd like to narrow it down a bit. Thanks.

It's been over a month since you posted this question, but I'm wondering what signs you were showing? ... did you narrow it down yet?

Here's my general experience in the past year or so. I wasted a lot of time and money figuring out that the burning throat and tongue, coughing, sinus issues as if I was in full blown allergy/hay fever season and itching, burning eyes etc. were related to some of the PG based eliquids. Sensitivity can change too, so it might be possible to build up a bit of a tolerance to it. I generally vape 100% VG eliquids that I buy premade from a few vendors and/or DIY my own just to avoid the issues now. When I vape a liquid that has a small amount of PG because the flavor is PG based, I get the symptoms within a few minutes. However, when I return to vaping the 100% VG eliquids the symptoms/reactions disappear.
Good luck!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Well let's define "I don't like PG" versus those who have a real negative reaction to it.

You can find it's harsh and just don't like the experience. PG by it's nature can produce harshness, but not liking it isn't really an adverse/allergic reaction either.

The people who are allergic to it seem to fall into two broad categories: The people who can tolerate the amount of PG used in flavorings as a carrier - and that may amount to up to 20% of a mixed liquid. And those unfortunate folks who cannot tolerate any PG in any amount at all without having a full blown allergic reaction to it. I fall into the "up to 20% category" - but I also take antihistamines every day.

Symptoms? Well one person posted intense itching. That is a very real symptom of an allergic reaction and not something to be messed with. According to my allergist that indicates the allergic reaction is producing nerve damage. Other fun possibilities can include chronic nausea while vaping, vomiting, difficulty breathing, numbness in the extremities, headache and dermal reactions on the face that can look like acne or roseacia. There are others - those are the ones I can remember right now.

How you tell if it's an issue or how much of an issue? Simple - you eliminate it. First, stop vaping period and see if the symptoms also stop within two hours. If you had a problem and it went away... Next step is to move onto high VG (100 VG liquids with PG only in the flavorings) or 100 VG and see if, hopefully, the problems don't present again.

My entire experience with high PG liquids lasted all of my first four days of vaping. By day four the reaction to vaping a 100 PG liquid was so intense that it put me off vaping anything for the next three days. In my case it was nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing - like my lungs were lined with wet cheesecloth, and intense bursts of itching on my forearms and hands. Believe me, if you have a genuine adverse/allergic problem with PG the symptoms won't be subtle.

Wow, Rick, you did it again. That's the best explanation I've heard yet and I learned a lot from this. Thank you, my friend!

espresso_dreams

Sep 19, 2013
pnw
My reaction has steadily gotten worse over time, too. I experimented with a 65/35 PG/VG blend a in under 30 minutes, I had a major rash over half my body and had breathing difficulties. So far I can still handle enough to carry flavorings, but I too take antihistamines almost daily. As another note, my immunologist says allergic reactions typically worsen with exposure, so we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread