PG/VG ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkbaugh18

Aug 31, 2010
Georgia
If I have 60mg/ml nic that is 100% VG and I mix that 50/50 with pure PG, what will my final PG/VG ratio be? I know some might say 50/50, but I know that can't be right because the nic juice isn't really 100% VG.

So essentially what I want to know is, in a juice that is 60mg/ml nicotine, what percentage of that juice is pure nicotine?

Thanks in advance!

Springbird

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Connecticut
If you mix your 60 mg/mL nic with pure PG 50/50 you will have a 50PG/50 VG mix or 50/50. However your mg nic/mL will be 30. That is 30mg nic/mL juice.
You need to worry about the nicotine concentration first and the PG/VG ratio second. What nic concentration do you want to end up with? That would be expressed as mg nic/mL ejuice. I strongly suggest that you get a calculator to make things easier. I use this one ( it is also stickied to the top of the subforum)
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html
All of the stickies at the top of the forum contain really good information that will make your DIY experience better and safer.

Last edited:

jkbaugh18

Aug 31, 2010
Georgia
I'm going for closer to a 20-25 range. The example I quoted wasn't my actual intention, just a for instance because the math was simple.

Also, as I stated before, since the nic juice isn't actually pure VG, then the final ratio isn't 50/50. It could be close, I don't know. It all depends on the volume of a mg of nicotine. For instance, if 1mg of pure nicotine takes up 1ml of space, then 60mg/ml of nic in pure VG would have a 60/40 nic to VG ratio, making the PG/VG ratio in that example roughly 50/20.

To make it all easier, does anyone know how many mg/ml 100% pure nicotine would be? If I can get that information, then the rest of the math would be alot easier.

jkbaugh18

Aug 31, 2010
Georgia
I believe 100% pure nic would notionally be 1000 mg/ml (1 gram per milliliter). You'll sometimes see ejuice marked with % nicotine -- 2.4% is 24 mg/ml, 1.6% is 16 mg/ml, etc.

That sounds pretty accurate. The only thing that had me confused is that I've seen some DIY sites stating that their 100mg/ml was 99.xxx% pure nicotine. I realize that could mean that it's just pure nicotine that has been diluted with pg or vg, but if that is the case it is very misleading.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
That sounds pretty accurate. The only thing that had me confused is that I've seen some DIY sites stating that their 100mg/ml was 99.xxx% pure nicotine. I realize that could mean that it's just pure nicotine that has been diluted with pg or vg, but if that is the case it is very misleading.

They are saying they are using 99.99% pure base nicotine to derive a 10% solution. Therefore if you were to remove all the PG or VG from 100ml of 100mg/ml nic liquid you would be left w/10 grams of 99.99% nicotine

grantemsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Ontario
I had though about this at first. But eventually I realized that for the quantities I make, the nicotine is well within the margin of error for my measuring equipment. In the end, I can't tell the difference between 50/50 and 49/51, so it doesn't really matter.

As for purity...it's kind of like how Ivory soap is "99% pure"...pure WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread