Phevanda MTL A1 RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xvagabondx

Apr 17, 2017
Italy
I’m Italian and I can try to let you know what’s happening with this rda, even though it’s not completely clear to me:

The design of the phevanda it’s identical to another atty (vampire v2 by oxygene mods) which has been registered, even though the internal are slightly different.

The 2 designers of that atty (as far as I’ve understood) got into a discussion and one of them sold the project they had of an rda ( which wasn’t performing as well as they wanted) to an other company, phevanda mods, who came up with the a1 mtl.

Since those are being listed out, I guess that Carlo Alberto Menon, the original designer of the vampire v2, did something about the alleged clone.

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
I’m Italian and I can try to let you know what’s happening with this rda, even though it’s not completely clear to me:

The design of the phevanda it’s identical to another atty (vampire v2 by oxygene mods) which has been registered, even though the internal are slightly different.

The 2 designers of that atty (as far as I’ve understood) got into a discussion and one of them sold the project they had of an rda ( which wasn’t performing as well as they wanted) to an other company, phevanda mods, who came up with the a1 mtl.

Since those are being listed out, I guess that Carlo Alberto Menon, the original designer of the vampire v2, did something about the alleged clone.

Judging from the pics of a quick google search, it seems like the vampire v2 bears some visual resemblence, but is a totally different thing. The chinese should give a .... and go ahead and produce it like they usually do anyway.

Unfortunately mine arrived later the same day as I left, so it is now 800 kms between me and the atty. I'll give report in once I get back and we'll see if the discontinuation is something to be sorry about.

Reactions: Fredman1

Xvagabondx

Apr 17, 2017
Italy
@mrjohs well the external resemblance is an actual copy of the top part of the vampire v2; then again, the system is different since one is an rta with steel cables working as wicking material, while the other is an rda.

But the argument is that, because of the exterior look the phevanda one is taking advantage of the success of the original vampire. It may not be famous outside the mtl community and outside Europe, but it is a pretty good atty ( and it comes quite pricey -around 180€-).

I’ve got no issues with clones or similarities, but it seems they went down the way I explained in my thought because they unlisted the atom in all the stores, and unfortunately I had no chance to get one of the phevanda’s atty :/

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
Ok, (very) first impressions, after setting up and taking some puffs:

The first thing that worries me is that the airflow inserts are very loose, even when the o-ring is dry. When it gets wet I suspect that it might work its way out while taking a puff.

Other than that I'm afraid the vape is not the best. It has the same symptoms as the Berserker RDA for me:
  • Too warm vapor
  • Mediocre vapor production
  • Harsh throat hit
Which tells me that the air is not hitting the coil in an ideal way. If I run it at lower wattage it works better, but then the vapor production is even less, and if I take multiple puffs in succession it gets too warm again. The RDA itself also gets very warm.

I must add that usually I am running a Le Concorde clone by SXK, which gives the best vape quality I have ever had, so it might be that I am a little bit spoiled in that way. Most people seem to be happy with their Berserker RDA, but for me it just sucks monkey balls compared to the Concorde.

Apart from the loose air inserts, build quality and all that seems to be very good. Some of the air holes on the outer part does not align 100% with the inner hole on the deck, but that does not seem to have any negative effect. Airflow is very quiet.

I will experiment a bit more with coil placement etc tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted and probably have some pics to go with it also.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Very good write up. Thanks for that. I think i'll hold up on the Phevanda for now. I'm kinda proud of myself that I didn't order it already. That's what I usually do...this time round i actually listened to my small voice, as I had some doubts...:D
I have the Ammit mtl rdta on order and are very exited about it. Just saw a review of DJLsb on it, and I like what I saw.
Yeah I don't like the Beserker rda that much either. Its not bad, but not to good either...

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
Ok, so I've tried a few things. First was using the oval shaped insert, instead of the one with three holes. It made the vape a little bit cooler, but not Le Concorde territory. Then I tried placing the coil a bit more to the opposite side of the outer air hole, as according to Morten Oen's test of the Berserker. Made it worse.

In all cases I also tried rotating the air insert. Made some difference but did not solve the problem.

Lastly, I removed the insert and stuffed in a little piece of silicone tube instead, 5mm OD 3mm ID (see pic). Also I made a little bit bigger coil to accomodate the bigger air hole. Again, made it worse.

Next I might try to saw off a piece of a Kayfun 3.1 air shaft and stuff it into the silicone tube, to make it tighter. It could help, but to be honest I doubt it. The problem is probably the size of the chamber, which is quite enormous for MTL.

ieOaHvN.jpg

Reactions: Fredman1

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
The problem is probably the size of the chamber, which is quite enormous for MTL.
Problem also...there is soooo many mtl versions nowadays. Earlier mtl was basically mtl with a mtl draw. Now its seems to me most has moved on to a more airy mtl....a hybrid mtl I call it.
The designer and manufacturers also markets it as mtl and restricted dl.
I've learnt to stay away from anything that can supposely do both. For me it usually don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread