The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Philadelphia Vaping Scene

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Ed Brown, Apr 9, 2021.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Super Member ECF Veteran

I'm Philadelphia for about a week while my wife has surgery. Philadelphia hospitals have a reputation like Philadelphia Lawyers: The best. She had decompression surgery on her neck to relieve pressure on her spinal cord. She got through the surgery ok, and we'll hope for a good recovery. Since hospital visiting hours don't start until noon, I've had the opportunity to visit quite a few shops in and around the city.

The vast majority of the "shops" listed by google are smoke shops that sell tobacco, CBD, sometimes marijuana paraphernalia, and a modest selection of vaping stuff. Most of that is pods and e-liquid. There are a few dedicated to vaping, but again, pods reign supreme. The clerks shrug their shoulders and say, "that's what people want to buy." Two shops had a couple RDAs and RTAs, one had a couple mechanical mods on a dusty shelf, but the clerk knew nothing about them. I tried to tell him about constant contact switches, but all I got was a blank expression on his face. This store was the only one I found that actually had cotton and wire, although he had to go into the back room to bring out an old box of disorganized wire spools, some of which were unspooled. It was all plain wire too. One shop had a small number of premade coils.

A big disappointment was Vapordelphia, an iconic destination store back in the day. All pods, CBD, and e-liquid.

Another disappointment was Preferred Vapor, which did mail order business until the ban. Their web site still shows a vaping lounge and juice bar, which now are closed due to covid. The clerk said that the store probably won't survive much longer.

The other thing that really struck me was that while driving around the city, I did not see one, not one person vaping. Of course most people are walking down the sidewalks wearing masks, and people would probably flip out if you blow a cloud their way.

Over all, it's a pretty sad state of affairs. The used record shops are good though.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. bnrkwest

bnrkwest ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Very interesting and I am sure Covid has an affect on the shops, but it is as I feared, it's a Pod world out there. Hoping your wife has a speedy and complete recovery

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Ed Brown

thanks for the well wishes, bnrkwest.

• Love Love x 2
  4. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Hope your wife recovers soon!

Interesting about the vape shops there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ed Brown

Thanks, Opinionated

• Love Love x 1
  6. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    If by "juice bar" you mean a designated area where customers can try juices for free, I'm pretty sure the juice bar was likely closed years ago due to FDA deeming regs. As I understand it, the FDA doesn't allow it.

As for not selling rebuildables, that also has something to do with deeming regs. Reason being is that I guess you aren't allowed to teach people how to use stuff anymore and rebuildables usually require that, so not being able to teach a customer how to use such things is risky from a liability standpoint. So it's not surprising pod systems rule the B&M market. Mech mods have always been a liability hazard so it doesn't surprise me that few shops sell them. The average vaper doesn't want them anyhow.

Mod vapers have very little use for a modern vape shop. And due to vape mail ban/Pact Act, we will soon be put on display in the Smithsonian. I can see it now, a wax figure of @Ed Brown vaping a mech mod with an RDA - display title "Vapasaurus Mech". :w00t:

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
  8. Ed Brown

Vapeasaurous indeed. "Became extinct circa 2045 AD."

They'll need a bushel of cotton or something to simulate the cloud.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Naw, they can just rig a heat source and a pump with 80PG and have the Vapasaurus Mech standing below a ventilation unit, you know, so no visitors are subject to that dreaded second-hand smoke vapor.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Fidola13

Fidola13 Prepper Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I hope your wife recovers well and quickly!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ed Brown

Thanks Fidola13. Much appreciated.

• Love Love x 1