Philadelphia Vaping Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I'm Philadelphia for about a week while my wife has surgery. Philadelphia hospitals have a reputation like Philadelphia Lawyers: The best. She had decompression surgery on her neck to relieve pressure on her spinal cord. She got through the surgery ok, and we'll hope for a good recovery. Since hospital visiting hours don't start until noon, I've had the opportunity to visit quite a few shops in and around the city.

The vast majority of the "shops" listed by google are smoke shops that sell tobacco, CBD, sometimes marijuana paraphernalia, and a modest selection of vaping stuff. Most of that is pods and e-liquid. There are a few dedicated to vaping, but again, pods reign supreme. The clerks shrug their shoulders and say, "that's what people want to buy." Two shops had a couple RDAs and RTAs, one had a couple mechanical mods on a dusty shelf, but the clerk knew nothing about them. I tried to tell him about constant contact switches, but all I got was a blank expression on his face. This store was the only one I found that actually had cotton and wire, although he had to go into the back room to bring out an old box of disorganized wire spools, some of which were unspooled. It was all plain wire too. One shop had a small number of premade coils.

A big disappointment was Vapordelphia, an iconic destination store back in the day. All pods, CBD, and e-liquid.

Another disappointment was Preferred Vapor, which did mail order business until the ban. Their web site still shows a vaping lounge and juice bar, which now are closed due to covid. The clerk said that the store probably won't survive much longer.

The other thing that really struck me was that while driving around the city, I did not see one, not one person vaping. Of course most people are walking down the sidewalks wearing masks, and people would probably flip out if you blow a cloud their way.

Over all, it's a pretty sad state of affairs. The used record shops are good though.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Their web site still shows a vaping lounge and juice bar, which now are closed due to covid

If by "juice bar" you mean a designated area where customers can try juices for free, I'm pretty sure the juice bar was likely closed years ago due to FDA deeming regs. As I understand it, the FDA doesn't allow it.

As for not selling rebuildables, that also has something to do with deeming regs. Reason being is that I guess you aren't allowed to teach people how to use stuff anymore and rebuildables usually require that, so not being able to teach a customer how to use such things is risky from a liability standpoint. So it's not surprising pod systems rule the B&M market. Mech mods have always been a liability hazard so it doesn't surprise me that few shops sell them. The average vaper doesn't want them anyhow.

Mod vapers have very little use for a modern vape shop. And due to vape mail ban/Pact Act, we will soon be put on display in the Smithsonian. I can see it now, a wax figure of @Ed Brown vaping a mech mod with an RDA - display title "Vapasaurus Mech". :w00t:

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    They'll need a bushel of cotton or something to simulate the cloud.

Naw, they can just rig a heat source and a pump with 80PG and have the Vapasaurus Mech standing below a ventilation unit, you know, so no visitors are subject to that dreaded second-hand smoke vapor.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I'm Philadelphia for about a week while my wife has surgery. Philadelphia hospitals have a reputation like Philadelphia Lawyers: The best. She had decompression surgery on her neck to relieve pressure on her spinal cord. She got through the surgery ok, and we'll hope for a good recovery. Since hospital visiting hours don't start until noon, I've had the opportunity to visit quite a few shops in and around the city.

The vast majority of the "shops" listed by google are smoke shops that sell tobacco, CBD, sometimes marijuana paraphernalia, and a modest selection of vaping stuff. Most of that is pods and e-liquid. There are a few dedicated to vaping, but again, pods reign supreme. The clerks shrug their shoulders and say, "that's what people want to buy." Two shops had a couple RDAs and RTAs, one had a couple mechanical mods on a dusty shelf, but the clerk knew nothing about them. I tried to tell him about constant contact switches, but all I got was a blank expression on his face. This store was the only one I found that actually had cotton and wire, although he had to go into the back room to bring out an old box of disorganized wire spools, some of which were unspooled. It was all plain wire too. One shop had a small number of premade coils.

A big disappointment was Vapordelphia, an iconic destination store back in the day. All pods, CBD, and e-liquid.

Another disappointment was Preferred Vapor, which did mail order business until the ban. Their web site still shows a vaping lounge and juice bar, which now are closed due to covid. The clerk said that the store probably won't survive much longer.

The other thing that really struck me was that while driving around the city, I did not see one, not one person vaping. Of course most people are walking down the sidewalks wearing masks, and people would probably flip out if you blow a cloud their way.

Over all, it's a pretty sad state of affairs. The used record shops are good though.

I hope your wife recovers well and quickly!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread