Philip Moris ecig to be released in 2016 - current models "taste bad", don't deliver reliable nic dose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
An AP "on the call" edition has revealed that Philip Morris CEO Jacek Olczak believes e-cigs taste bad, and don't deliver a reliable dose of nicotine to users: He believes that consumers are looking for something which is very close to a cigarette experience. Furthermore, their product won't be available until 2016/2017.

Ah well, too bad for Philip Morris - this is what happens when you develop via focus group and not through insight and innovation

On the Call: Philip Morris Int'l CFO Olczak - Yahoo! Finance

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
An AP "on the call" edition has revealed that Philip Morris CEO Jacek Olczak believes e-cigs taste bad, and don't deliver a reliable dose of nicotine to users: He believes that consumers are looking for something which is very close to a cigarette experience. Furthermore, their product won't be available until 2016/2017.

Ah well, too bad for Philip Morris - this is what happens when you develop via focus group and not through insight and innovation

On the Call: Philip Morris Int'l CFO Olczak - Yahoo! Finance

I agree that it's hard to find a flavor as satisfying as the real thing but believe they are mistaken (as are mainstream juice makers) that it's just getting nicotine that matters.

Why a tobacco company with so much tobacco and ways to process it aren't looking at whole tobacco alkaloid juices is beyond me. Don't they want it to be as satisfying and addictive as possible?

I know plentiful and affordable wta juice is something I'd welcome.

BlueSun

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2008
Canada, brrrr
Quoting the article:

The company has said it expects to launch the first of its next-generation products between 2016 and 2017, which could include one that heats tobacco in a cigarette with a controlled heating mechanism ...

Doesn't the Ploom and Ploom's Pax already do that?

I do agree about the taste. As a cigar smoker, I have yet to find an e-juice that is even as closely satisfying.

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
The tobacco companies can try to chase down a "cigarette flavor" e-cig all they want. What they don't realize is when smokers finally quit, they soon realize cigarettes taste like crap. A very large portion of the e cig population other than new users quickly gravitate toward BETTER flavors, even if it is a "fruity" tobacco etc... IMHO BT has it all wrong as far as i'm concerned, and that's fine with me. They will find it hard to retain a user base if all they make available is cigarette replicates.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The tobacco companies can try to chase down a "cigarette flavor" e-cig all they want. What they don't realize is when smokers finally quit, they soon realize cigarettes taste like crap. A very large portion of the e cig population other than new users quickly gravitate toward BETTER flavors, even if it is a "fruity" tobacco etc... IMHO BT has it all wrong as far as i'm concerned, and that's fine with me. They will find it hard to retain a user base if all they make available is cigarette replicates.

Funny, started looking for a cigarette taste, gravitated to a fruitier flavor, then moved back to more of a pipe/cigar flavor with hints of fruit flavors. Cigarette flavor isn't even a thought at this point, absolutely no desire for that taste. If BT wants to be successful, they'll replicate, as close as possible, the most popular Brands they have and market them as Marlboro Red E Liquid, for example. If they come close, they may be able to capture a segment of the market that doesn't feel like you and I. Some of that market will start out there and move on to something else. For Altria to keep that segment, they'll need to offer that something else.

My experience indicates you'll never get the brand loyalty you got from cigarettes unless the law steps in and protects it for them.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Big Tobacco doesn't have CLUE what SUCCESSFUL e-cig users want.
And for that matter neither does Blu or NJoy.

On the other hand, maybe they DO know, and are purposely trying NOT to give it to us.
And if you take it a step further, maybe they are actively trying to make sure we can never get it in the future.

I know if I was them, that's exactly what I'd be doing for now.

But some day I expect to see one of them step out and go for a real market grab.
Which means putting out an Ego-like alternative at the very least.

And I'm guessing NJoy will be the one to do it, as long as Big Tobacco doesn't buy them first.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
If that's all PM have they are late to the party.
1-Laughing.gif

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
It's not a product which is very close to the conventional cigarette and I think the consumers are looking for something which is at least similar. ... But it's a new category so everyone is working on how to improve it. Years from now the situation may be different but today I don't think that the product is performing well on the taste side. ... I don't think the consumer really has the confidence if what they're buying is something which they'd like to use. Today it's much more the phenomena of the price than anything else. -- Jacek Olczak, Chief Financial Officer, Philip Morris International Inc. --

I've been on quite a few analyst conference calls, so I'm going to be potentially annoying and break that quote apart sentence by sentence.

First, it's the CFO talking, not the CEO. Philip Morris has not decided on a strategy.

It's not a product which is very close to the conventional cigarette and I think the consumers are looking for something which is at least similar.

Decode: This is "Form Factor" argument. Let's be honest - the majority of current potential e-cig customers are used to the cigarette/cigar look and feel. PM doesn't have a strategy here because they're not sure a market of sufficient size will solidify. Keep in mind we[/I (ECF members and others in the vaping community) are still very much in the minority position.

But it's a new category so everyone is working on how to improve it.

Decode: Let the "early adopters" debug the system. We'll buy out the winners when the dust settles.

Years from now the situation may be different but today I don't think that the product is performing well on the taste side.

Decode: Same as immediately above. The critique of taste applies to e-cig form factors, not mods - and PM is correct on this point. They're waiting for the first wave of market consolidation, and..the FDA. ;)

I don't think the consumer really has the confidence if what they're buying is something which they'd like to use.

Decode: Their market research is telling them entry-level e-cigs are not performing well enough to convert the majority of the customer base. Also, the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) in the press is resonating. Again, PM is correct on all fronts here.

Today it's much more the phenomena of the price than anything else.

Decode: When Big Tobacco enters the market - and they will - prices will rise. BT is willing to take near-term loss of business risk while the market shakes itself out. It's a standard risk model approach.
That said, if a market does form, or the current one grows to sufficient size, BT will enter and have to cover buyout costs. There have already been buyout offers of smaller players. What do you think the true market leaders will fetch in two to four years? Who do you think the market leaders will be? Think it through before you react.

It's a "wait and see" strategy, and it's often how successful big businesses stay that way.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Please note that Philip Morris International is a completely different company than Altria and Philip Morris USA.

While PMI has been saying these same things about e-cigs for the past year (including that they plan to launch a new product in 2016), Altria is planning to begin marketing its new e-cig product in August.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
The tobacco companies can try to chase down a "cigarette flavor" e-cig all they want. What they don't realize is when smokers finally quit, they soon realize cigarettes taste like crap.

Highly disagree. It's due to cognitive dissonance and your way of resolving it. Your brain is wired to want it to taste like crap (I've prevailed over my addiction) and this the first one does. Have a few more though, or take a few drags 'wanting to like it' and you'll like it.

I'm a dual user I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread