Status
Not open for further replies.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Ordered 2 of these on Friday and received them today. Fast shipping from mountain oaks vapors!! Also purchased their 32AWG wire, ce2 style silica wick, and 316 woven ss mesh. About $42 with shipping! This is my first experience with rebuildables.

Initial impression is these are better made than I was anticipating. Very solid and sturdy. Threads go together like butter. I did have the common problem of drip tips not fitting. I found two in my stash that were small enough. They did come with a black delrin tip that fits nicely. From the factory the coil and wick look nice and vape great as expected. But that's not what these are all about, so let's tear these suckers apart!

Even the little screws seem to thread very nicely and getting them apart is a cinch. First attempt I used 100% cotton that was the fluffed kind. Did 5 wraps and put it back on. I'd watched enough videos that wrapping by using a needle was a cinch. My coils came out tight and might I say looked great! This one tested at 1.5ohms on my provari so I set it to 3.7v. Vapes nice. Great vapor production, smooth, warm draw, and absolutely silent. No gurgles, popping or anything. Taste? Hmmm something in this cotton that's giving off an odd chemical flavor. Ditched this one. May have burned off eventually but I'm set to play with these anyhow.

Next I tried 6 wraps on 100% cotton from rolled gauze. This one tested at 1.9ohms and taste is spot on. This will probably be what I end up using.

Now for the ss mesh. Someone please chime in on this for me. Started with 6 wraps and set it in between the posts horizontally, hooked it all up and all I get is a LO error. Too low of a resistance. Hmmm dunno why. This is beyond my knowledge base. Took it off and wrapped 7 times and tried to set this one vertically in between the posts. Got a OP error. Whatever that is but I did notice in the process of adjusting the wick I must've broke one of the wires. That's not good. Rewired it and tried again. Initially got a LO error again then it kind of popped and went to an OP error. That pop had actually broke my wire. So I'm up for any suggestions for the ss mesh. Haven't tried the silica wick yet but not anticipating any problems with it. Overall these rebuildables are great and I'd highly recommend them to anyone that likes to fiddle with their equipment. They are fairly small so some dexterity and tweezers are handy.

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
Dantes , oxidize the mesh at least 6 times and then burn it out with juice at least 3 times, I do 5/6 wraps of 32awg Kanthal A1. and get about 2.0ohms.

if you have oxidized it well you can have the wick touching the bottom of the juice well in the atty, I then set the wick up on a diagonal so the legs of wire going to the posts are as sort as possible.When you get it right it blows the cotton out of the water.It is such a crisp clean vape and you can change flavors just by vaping until its used up all the juice, put a new flavor in and within a couple of draws all you get is the new flavor.keep at it its worth it.

I also don't use the Provari for this because its so finicky , I use an ohm meter and then put it on a mechanical mod with a kick, works great.

I hope this helps.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
d07c7f8c-d0da-47bf.jpg

Ok what am I doing wrong. I can't get the ss to register any more than 1.3ohms. Which I can use but I'd rather get it closer to 2 ohms.

Atlantisboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
USA
Dantes that wrap looks perfect , I don't understand why you are only getting 1.3 ohms but that is going to be a good vape at 3.5-3.7v ,better than less wraps with 34 awg at higher resistance, yes you get higher resistance with 34 wag , but the more wraps of coil for the same resistance the more juice is being burnt and the more flavor you are going to get.

Did you vape on that coil yet?

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
...the more wraps of coil for the same resistance the more juice is being burnt and the more flavor you are going to get.

That is true up to a point of diminishing returns... given the space being worked with perhaps 33ga would be better than 34... With 33ga, 4 wraps will do a 2ohm coil, and 4 wraps puts out plenty. The great thing about SS Mesh wick is that flavor is seemingly amplified.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Dantes that wrap looks perfect , I don't understand why you are only getting 1.3 ohms but that is going to be a good vape at 3.5-3.7v ,better than less wraps with 34 awg at higher resistance, yes you get higher resistance with 34 wag , but the more wraps of coil for the same resistance the more juice is being burnt and the more flavor you are going to get.

Did you vape on that coil yet?

Ya it vapes great. I don't mind the LR it just drains my battery a bit faster. Not a huge deal. Think I got the coil wrapping thing down so I'll add a wrap or so and go from there. Thanks for the help.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Just wanted to add this in here for anyone that might run across this thread. I was having trouble with OP errors on the provari with both of my Phoenix RBA's. Seems if you're putting them on other devices the center post can be pushed up and not allowed to make contact on the provari. Simply push on the 1/2 moon floor in the bottom to push it back down. I went to using a 510/510 adapter to stop this. It was the twist for me that must have a deeper 510 connector and was pushing my pin up. Thanks to others on the forum for helping me with this frustrating but easy fix.

inganeer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Missouri
I to have one of these. I have not tried to rebuild it yet. I have been dripping with a 510 atomizer and thought that was great. This Phoenix atomizer is awesome in my book and I don't have to keep adding drops as often. Where is the best place to get the S.S. mesh? I have another phoenix on order and one of the Smoktech rebuildables to play with.

lannister

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
CT, central
I to have one of these. I have not tried to rebuild it yet. I have been dripping with a 510 atomizer and thought that was great. This Phoenix atomizer is awesome in my book and I don't have to keep adding drops as often. Where is the best place to get the S.S. mesh? I have another phoenix on order and one of the Smoktech rebuildables to play with.

I just ordered the mesh off of Mountain Oak. IDK if it's the best.... Thought I'd give it a shot, but it's meant to replace silica wick, right? I'm a newb at this though I tried a bulli for a couple of days.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
Ya I got my mesh at MOV too. I've tried it vertical, horizontal, and with cotton in between it. It works nice. I seem to get more shorts in it with the ss and I find it harder to keep the ohms up. A lot of ppl say it tastes "cleaner" with the ss. I think I get that "cleaner" taste but to me it's just the metallic taste from the ss. I've been more than happy with plain ole 100% cotton mesh. Much easier to work with, clean vape, and no problems keeping my ohms consistent.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
I just ordered the mesh off of Mountain Oak. IDK if it's the best.... Thought I'd give it a shot, but it's meant to replace silica wick, right? I'm a newb at this though I tried a bulli for a couple of days.

Yeah you'll wrap ur coil around the ss mesh instead of around the silica. Or can wrap the ss mesh around some cotton or the silica for that matter and then wrap ur coil around that. Can't get too fat though or it won't fit in between the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread