The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Phone Call to the MHRA....

Discussion in 'Moju Republic' started by smokindeuce, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. deewal

deewal Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2008
    In a house.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: As Frank Carson would say "It's the way you tell 'em."

2. BrianOConnell

BrianOConnell New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    I took drugs once and I had a great time. There is such a thing as personal responsibility. I don't know if "poppers" were/are age restricted but if someone underage has a product that is restricted to over 18 year olds then who is to blame? The guy who invented the stuff, the parents or the person who sold it to them? Really we don't need to roll out stories that suit our purposes on this or issues like it.

I ask that they only be sold to adults. I ask that they be marked as toxic with a child-proof seal. All of this is currently required. So how unregulated is that exactly?

I think we all want regulation just not as a medicine. It's important to fight for the right thing at the right time. This is the wrong thing. By all means fight for proper regulation under the proper classification. Not as a medicine. It's very disappointing to see a vendor take this route. I absolutely want Vendors to be held accountable for their products but not to have their products mis-classified so as to restrict my choices for recreational use of nicotine.

3. Rusty

Rusty Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 4, 2009
    Yorkshire, England
    My thoughts as well Brian :)

4. Shining Wit

Shining Wit Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2008
    North of England UK
    Your reply speaks volumes about your attitude and mentality.
    If you wish to continue then use our forum as I find it totally disrespectful
    to Tim to lower the debate to such a level.
    I apologise Tim and will not post any further on your forum as it obviously provokes those who are unable to answer with anything other than ignorance.
    John.

5. smokindeuce

smokindeuce Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    UK
    Sorry guys - I have been away recently so just catching up on the goings on around here.

John - no problem post a way - its good to discuss this through and its an excellent way of putting some arguments across.

Right, now onto some debate....:)

John your story re: poppers is not a very good comparison in my opinion..... certainly a bit extreme and overdramatic.

Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine It is a clinically trialled substance used in NRT's that on it's own has very little adverse health consequences.

Both nicotine and propylene glycol vapours have been tested separately in many studies.... Propylene glycol is used in some medically licensed products, as is nicotine.

Therefore, 98% of the mixture in the liquids we are currently using has had some benefit of studies - so not all speculation by any means and certainly not to be likened with an unknown quantity.

If we're going to go down the comparisons route, snus would have been a far closer match to the plight that is facing the ecig now.

Snus is proven 90% safer than smoking cigarettes. BUT for all its benefits, it has been banned in every country in the EU bar Sweden. This is CRAZY and even the Royal College of Physicians states:

[FONT="]‘In view of the low hazard associated with low-toxin oral products such as snus, and evidence of the potential of these products as smoking substitutes, [U]their prohibition in the context of free availability of other smokeless and smoked tobacco products is[B] irrational[/B].[/U]’ (Royal College of Physicians, 2007)[/FONT]

The RCP also states:

[FONT="]‘The regulations imposed on these products in the UK and most EU countries are entirely inconsistent, both within the range of smokeless tobacco products (since the least hazardous are the most regulated) and also in relation to medicinal or smoked nicotine.’[/FONT]

Snus is a no brainer..... as is the ecig - the MHRA/govenrment want to have their cake and eat it. We do not feel that ecigs need to be labelled a medical device and thus we do not need the MHRA interfering, so option 3 is the only way.

With regards Joe Bloggs mixing up liquids in his back yard, well all Trading Standards need do is to carry out their job properly.

It would be very easy for them to request all new suppliers have to register with them first before trading, TS ensure packaging is all to CHIP standard, suppliers provide a clean laboratory test on the liquids and Trading Standards performs the odd spot check to keep everyone on their toes. The supplier gets a nice 'TS approved for purity' badge which users know to look out for and bobs your uncle.

But of course this would just be TOO simple.....

The other thing to consider here is if ejuice gets banned bar a couple of companies who muster up some kind of limited product license, users will just go and get cheaper better variety unregulated liquids from overseas. So as I've mentioned before, all it would achieve is banning the UK suppliers who have been working to make the liquid credible so that people will be left with little choice but to get their liquids from overseas.....unregulated. Doesn't make sense.....

Personally I think there should be two options regarding regulations for the ecig. If anyone wants to get their product medically approved then fair play and good luck in what could be a very expensive, time consuming exercise. There is no reason why there can't also be a second set of regulations for ecigs as an alternative to smoking where suppliers/manufacturers make no cessation claims:

In support of innovative products like the electronic cigarette, the Royal College of Physicians also state: ‘The anomalies that inhibit new product development, in particular rapid delivery, user-friendly medicinal products and more widespread
    use of existing low-hazard products, need to be removed.’ (Royal College of Physicians, 2007)

6. mskitty

mskitty Full Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Hotlanta
    I pushed for 3 and left a pleading comment.

7. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I am very happy I got snuff!! Is that illegal here?

8. smokindeuce

smokindeuce Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    UK
    Good work Kitty great to have more support on this - we'll need all the support we can get! :)

Nasal snuff is totally legal in UK and has been for yonks....Swedish Snus is however illegal to sell in the UK (and EU), but you can still order direct from Sweden and get stuff through customs in small packages no problem. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.