Not open for further replies.

Smokester!

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
UK
www.liberro.co.uk
Hi Everyone

We'd like to keep you informed of our progress with the MHRA Public Consultation process, where we stand, and, what we are doing to help protect the rights of eSmokers.

• We are collating information from a variety of sources to determine why the proposal clearly removes any tobacco products from the legislation.
  • Following discussions with the MHRA we are now taking legal advice at the highest level on this aspect of the proposal as we feel that removing tobacco from the proposed legislation is, at best, unfounded, for what is clearly a nicotine containing product (NCP).
  • We are working closely with Jason and his team at TECC/TW to further investigate the legal standing of the proposal and to jointly work on bringing all gathered information together in a unified approach to the situation.
  • We have contacted out entire customer base to request that they respond directly to the MHRA Public Consultation and complete the online petition.
  • We will be contacting all of our customers again to ask that they complete the direct No. 10 Petition also : Petition to: Quash the upcoming policy to ban electronic cigarettes. | Number10.gov.uk
We hope that this assures you that we are doing everything in our power to ensure that eSmoking remains a viable and legal alternative to smoking regular tobacco products.

Thanks for all your support
Smokester!

pillbox38

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thanks Simon for posting the update.

We have some extremely valid points that the MHRA cannot over look or ignore, i see no reason why they are adamant Tobacco cigarettes should be excluded from MLX 364.

Directive2001/37/EC 5th June 2001 on the regulation of tobacco states in paragraph 4

" a high level of protection in terms of health, safety, environmental protection and consumer protection should be taken as a basis, regard being had, in particular, to any new developments based on scientific facts: in view of the particularly harmful effects of tobacco, health protection should be given priority in this context."

The MLX document claims a new development of harm reduction, it then links this to medicinal EEc law directives. In the case of cigarettes the case is even stronger(than the case they believe they have on e.cigs) as their risk assessment= 1 death every 6 minutes..

This document i believe is the one they are claiming covers tobacco and gives it its VIP pass out of this NCP legislation...Facts are it does not..

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
I sent this as feedback:

Nicotine is a recreational drug. In tobacco products, the method of delivery often comes with negative side effects. Using an electronic cigarette, studies have shown a significantly lower risk of side effects when using nicotine as a recreational drug. This does not make it a medicine in any way.

Let's create an analogy - if coffee was shown to have harmful side effects, but soda pop with caffeine added was shown to be safe, would pop be classified as a medicinal product for those addicted to coffee?

Let's make a more realistic argument. The best attempt to call an electronic cigarette a medicinal product is to say it prevents disease. However, in reality it does not treat or prevent tobacco-related illnesses, it treats the tobacco use itself, as a substitute drug. This is not a disease, but a choice.

In conclusion, you do not treat a moonshine maker by offering him better quality alcohol as a medicine - you illegalize moonshine. If anything should happen, it should be the illegalization of tobacco and the promotion of electronic cigarettes as a delivery system for the recreational use of nicotine.

I sent this as feedback:

Nicotine is a recreational drug. In tobacco products, the method of delivery often comes with negative side effects. Using an electronic cigarette, studies have shown a significantly lower risk of side effects when using nicotine as a recreational drug. This does not make it a medicine in any way.

Let's create an analogy - if coffee was shown to have harmful side effects, but soda pop with caffeine added was shown to be safe, would pop be classified as a medicinal product for those addicted to coffee?

Let's make a more realistic argument. The best attempt to call an electronic cigarette a medicinal product is to say it prevents disease. However, in reality it does not treat or prevent tobacco-related illnesses, it treats the tobacco use itself, as a substitute drug. This is not a disease, but a choice.

In conclusion, you do not treat a moonshine maker by offering him better quality alcohol as a medicine - you illegalize moonshine. If anything should happen, it should be the illegalization of tobacco and the promotion of electronic cigarettes as a delivery system for the recreational use of nicotine.
I totally agree with this, and I've done my bit by signing the petition, i would be devastated if e-cigs was banned as it has helped me a lot giving up analog cigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread