Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
What I am saying is simply this: batteries fail. If you choose to use a protected battery, safe chemistry, or unprotected battery it is entirely your decision. Make an informed decision, because ultimately it is your own choice. All we can do is offer information about the options and recommendations based on personal experience and experience of our collective membership.

I do not retract my position nor do I stand to proclaim that this is ECF policy. The pictures are there so people can see what happens when a battery goes south. So stop trying to read more into it than there is :)

If that is the case, you should change the title of the thread to "dangers of batteries in mods" and NOT "why we preach about using protected batteries" It is misleading, especially to new members, who have mostly not even begun to explore mods yet, and don't know the difference between batteries. "We" being ECF, actually DOES NOT "preach about using protected batteries" as I've already pointed out. ECF recommends UNPROTECTED safe chemistry batteries.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
If that is the case, you should change the title of the thread to "dangers of batteries in mods" and NOT "why we preach about using protected batteries" It is misleading, especially to new members, who have mostly not even begun to explore mods yet, and don't know the difference between batteries. "We" being ECF, actually DOES NOT "preach about using protected batteries" as I've already pointed out. ECF recommends UNPROTECTED safe chemistry batteries.

Actually you make a fair point there about my choice of title. And be assured that this thread is being discussed by the staff- particularly the ramifications that this incident has on ECFs position on batteries. I guess I opened up a can of worms here, but as I said before it is important to let people see what can happen.

With that said I am going to change the title of the thread.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Actually you make a fair point there about my choice of title. And be assured that this thread is being discussed by the staff- particularly the ramifications that this incident has on ECFs position on batteries. I guess I opened up a can of worms here, but as I said before it is important to let people see what can happen.

With that said I am going to change the title of the thread.

Thank you. :)

crazyodaz

Feb 19, 2011
TEXAS
i just ordered two AW IMR 18490's from Electronic Cigarettes and AW batteries by Super T but i was planning on using them inside a PROVARI -- even though the battery's are not protected Provape.com recommends these battery's and states only this
AW's IMR High Drain rechargeable battery chemistry is safer than Li-Ion, offers faster discharge rates, and is better suited for high power applications like in the ProVari
no were in there does it safe than li-ion and prolly why most li-Ion have protected and unprotected versions

What is the difference between regular and high drain batteries and why do you recommend I use the high drain over a standard 18500/18650 battery?

We recommend only using the IMR High Drain battery in the ProVari. These special batteries are rated to have a higher power output than non-imr batteries. Non-IMR batteries can't flow enough energy for the conversion circuitry in the ProVari. You can use non-IMR batteries in the ProVari, but since the conversion circuitry might become power starved, it might think it's dealing with a dying battery and turn off. The unit was designed to use the high drain batteries and we recommend using these for best performance.
http://www.provape.com/v/faq.htm
this is why i ordered these for the Provari- i am sure the battery cap has a hole in it in case of "ROUGE" battery's that might explode or expell gass's, and i am almost positive that even though the AW IMR batteries are not protected, that the Provari itself has enough protection circuts in there itself to more than cover me to prevent this from happening.

i know not all mods are created equal, i just hope i made a informed decision given the mod that its going into.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ter-finger-prints-2-3-extended-batteries.html <-- was the #1 reason why i decided to get the AW IMR reds

just make sure according to your own mod - the type of battery it uses or recommends -- the protection on batteries needs to be somewhere, and for the provari it is built into the circuits and not the battery

Last edited:

henbone11

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Indy
I think I may be able to shed a little light here. It was my girlfriend that this happened to. She had the battery in her Indulgence and the Indulgence in an eye glasses case which was stowed in her coat pocket. There was no atty/carto attached. She went to dinner with some girls that she works with and laid her coat down in the booth next to her. About 30 minutes into dinner there was a loud boom that, "sounded like a gunshot". She ran outside with the coat after the pocket caught fire. Luckily, all of the parts of the Indulgence and battery were just floating around inside the lining of her coat so I could inspect it and take pictures. There was nothing else inside the case with the Indulgence except for a 10ml bottle of juice. She had forgotten her atty in the car (laying in the front passenger seat). Of course, a short in the Indulgence could have led to the explosion, or it was just the battery. I do not know for sure, and am pretty sure there is no way to definitively say. I appreciate the message that oldsoldier is trying to get out, and that is simply that unprotected batteries are just as dangerous as any other. I have seen so many threads that pontificate on unprotected being totally safe because of safe chemistry. Well, I have to disagree. I am not saying that unprotected batteries are any more or less safe than protected batteries, I am simply saying that they are not absolutely safe as most seem to suggest. Take whatever recommendations and advice you want, just keep in the back of your head that nothing is absolutely safe.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
If anybody wants to read a lot about the potential hazards of battery failure, check out this forum: Smoke and Fire, Hot Cells and Close Calls - The dangerous side of batteries

I will say, after reading those, I'll take my chances with safe chemistry batteries rather that the potential for uncontrolled burn, explosions, and lithium poisoning possible with Li Ion batteries if the protection circuit fails.

henbone11

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Indy
If anybody wants to read a lot about the potential hazards of battery failure...

Fortunately, or unfortunately however you look at it, I dont need to read a bunch of horror stories about exploding batteries to know that batteries can be dangerous. Anyone that says that safe chemistry cannot explode, is wrong. Whether or not a safe chemistry battery is safer than a circuit protected battery remains to be seen. I just think that it is irresponsible to be pushing safe chemistry batteries as absolutely safe. Seems to me that people are going based on recommendations from people that have never had anything happen with their batteries. Just because they have not experienced it doesn't mean that it cant happen. I would say that an exploding battery is a rare occurance, but it is definitely not impossible.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I agree, people think they are safe. I'm here to tell you, I had a thermal runaway and caught it in time. No one seemed to be able to figure if it was a shorted atty or switch. It started burning all on its own sitting on a table. Smelled something burning and voila. AW 2600 18650. They are great batteries. It didn't vent with flame. I also use AW 18650 IMRs. - These are not suppose to vent w/flame, but if they do vent there can be fume issues. All in all people need to respect the batteries, use good chargers and test w/multi meters. They also should not buy tube mods WITHOUT VENT HOLES - Actually, no mods w/out some type of venting or ability to open in 2 seconds. Thats why no batteries stay in my mods while I'm out mowing the grass.

What I am saying is simply this: batteries fail. If you choose to use a protected battery, safe chemistry, or unprotected battery it is entirely your decision. Make an informed decision, because ultimately it is your own choice. All we can do is offer information about the options and recommendations based on personal experience and experience of our collective membership.

I do not retract my position nor do I stand to proclaim that this is ECF policy. The pictures are there so people can see what happens when a battery goes south. So stop trying to read more into it than there is :)

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Fortunately, or unfortunately however you look at it, I dont need to read a bunch of horror stories about exploding batteries to know that batteries can be dangerous. Anyone that says that safe chemistry cannot explode, is wrong. Whether or not a safe chemistry battery is safer than a circuit protected battery remains to be seen. I just think that it is irresponsible to be pushing safe chemistry batteries as absolutely safe. Seems to me that people are going based on recommendations from people that have never had anything happen with their batteries. Just because they have not experienced it doesn't mean that it cant happen. I would say that an exploding battery is a rare occurance, but it is definitely not impossible.

Who is saying that any battery is absolutely safe? Like most things in life, it is a balance of risks. My big problem with this thread was that, as titled, it was misleading and contrary to the rather clear explanations already posted by Roly. Also, it is in the New Member forum (and stickied, at that) where it has the greatest likelihood to be misunderstood, rather than in the battery or mod sections.

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Thanks for that info. I'll be measuring voltages before and after charging more frequently now.
This has become a habit for me regardless of what battery combination i use because overcharging is a big no-no. Check for proper charge, check for balanced charge , check check check. Over the past 6 months it has become a ritual lol!

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
This has become a habit for me regardless of what battery combination i use because overcharging is a big no-no. Check for proper charge, check for balanced charge , check check check. Over the past 6 months it has become a ritual lol!

Completely agree. Everyone who owns a mod should purchase and learn to use a multimeter.

henbone11

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Indy
I also now check batteries off of the charger.

Before it is decided that I have something against safe chemistry batteries, I only use Lifepo4 rcr123 batteries in my mods. I dont have an issue with safe chemistry batteries, but I do have an issue with the running assumption around the forum that they are absolutely safe. It has not been stated in this thread, but there are plenty of others that indicate that they wont fail simply because they are safe chemistry.

I believe that the new users forum is a great place for this thread and also believe that it is necessary. Otherwise, new users will just continue to read about how there is no chance for this type of issue with safe chemistry batteries.

Reactions: reianna

henbone11

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Indy
This thread should be called: "Why You Shouldn't Use A Cheap ... Plastic Box Mod."

Just sayin...

This battery failure did not occur in a "cheap ... box mod". Not sure why that would even make a difference. Your input here is surely valuable though. Now I see how I can get almost 6000 posts in just over 6 months. Just sayin.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I also now check batteries off of the charger.

Before it is decided that I have something against safe chemistry batteries, I only use Lifepo4 rcr123 batteries in my mods. I dont have an issue with safe chemistry batteries, but I do have an issue with the running assumption around the forum that they are absolutely safe. It has not been stated in this thread, but there are plenty of others that indicate that they wont fail simply because they are safe chemistry.

I believe that the new users forum is a great place for this thread and also believe that it is necessary. Otherwise, new users will just continue to read about how there is no chance for this type of issue with safe chemistry batteries.

OK, I responded because you quoted me. I disagree about the placement in New Members. If something like this is necessary in New Members, it should be Roly's post. Edited to add: but that is not my call :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread