The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

Discussion in 'New Members Information' started by oldsoldier, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ogredog

ogredog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    fontana,Cali
    BlueDogs some people make them some buy the. Some get creative and turn ordinary stuff into little vaping machines. Example, flashlight or altoids tins etc. It can become hobbylike, because its fun to try new things and flavors. The standard super slim "ecigs" arent really enough for a lot of people. If your happy with that cool! They are just limited. Watch some reviews on you tube for box mods to get a better idea. Also you can usually make or buy them cheap...well unless you get the high end ones but that goes for anything

2. CHUCKLEHEAD

CHUCKLEHEAD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2009
    Redneck Rivera
    Yeppers
    :vapor::rules:[​IMG]

3. txtumbleweed

txtumbleweed Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2009
    Walla Walla
    I'm sure the switch button was depressed causing the battery to heat up. I know I've had my Indulgence heat up in my front pocket before and only knew it because my leg got mighty warm. It has happened with other pv's too that don't have a cutoff when the button is pushed in. The lesson I learned is pull it out of your pocket real quick when your leg begins to get hot.

4. ogredog

Jun 2, 2011
    fontana,Cali
    QUOTE=txtumbleweed;3370679]I'm sure the switch button was depressed causing the battery to heat up. I know I've had my Indulgence heat up in my front pocket before and only knew it because my leg got mighty warm. It has happened with other pv's too that don't have a cutoff when the button is pushed in. The lesson I learned is pull it out of your pocket real quick when your leg begins to get hot.[/QUOTE]

When your leg gets hot? good gravy how about a cutoff switch or a case lol dont wait for the battery to explode! It ruins the pv!...and maybe your leg too

5. ogredog

Jun 2, 2011
    fontana,Cali

or dont use whatever that was lol

6. Wuzznt Me

Wuzznt Me Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2011
    Twilight Zone
    Ain't puttin nuttin in my pants pocket no more. Don't want to take any chances with either the equipment in my pocket or any in nearby areas. Thanks for a very enlightening thread. I usually just stuff it in there without a thought, or at least I did, along with keys, knife, gun whatever.

7. PHAZEONE559

PHAZEONE559 Full Member

May 24, 2011
    Fresno, California
    I'm glad I always do a little research before I buy.

8. brownmc7

brownmc7 Full Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Luckily she wasn't asleep

9. LostVapeMonster

LostVapeMonster The eyes are useless when the mind is blind. Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Land of the Lost
    I love your avatar/profile pic.

10. LostVapeMonster

LostVapeMonster The eyes are useless when the mind is blind. Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Land of the Lost
    How do you know if your battery is protected?

11. Quick1

Quick1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    I don't know any protected batteries where it's not printed on the label or battery cover. It will also be listed in the manufacturer specs. and of course, you can google it.

12. Deafcat64

Deafcat64 Full Member

Jun 8, 2011
    West Virginia
    OUCH! That is some serious failure!

13. Flying W

Flying W Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    CFH,Tx.
    Thats probably what my lungs would have looked like if I had not quit smoking .I would rather that happen to me than smoke another nasty cig. Glad no one got hurt.Still safer than smoking ..............

14. badkarmaiii

badkarmaiii Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I use a lot of protected lithium ion batteries in high performance flashlights. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

15. sfa437

sfa437 Full Member

Jun 8, 2011
    West Babylon NY
    DAYUM!

After reading through this I've decided modding is way out of my range of expectations! Gonna stick to my Boge 510 with factory batteries. My old callsign was Coyote (as in Wile E.) for a reason LOL

16. RATICUS

RATICUS Full Member

Jun 9, 2011
    St. Peters, Missouri
    Good thing it only melted.

17. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    Here you go, scroll down until you see specifications. I personally would recommend the newer AW 2900's they have a heat resistant layer added to it. That's all I use anymore.

18650 battery test 2011

18. Ninurta

Ninurta Full Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Euless tx
    I didn't read through the whole thread so forgive me, but I wonder under which conditions this happened.
    I top off my batteries every day, and I always use the button lock on my Megalodon, thus ensuring a longer battery life. Ultimately, however, once your battery is too old I suppose it then becomes a question of when to replace it, and how you can tell when you need to.

19. pacioli
    This message by pacioli has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 10, 2011, Reason: unregistered supplier posting in violation of forum rules.
    Jun 10, 2011
  20. starangela
    This message by starangela has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 14, 2011, Reason: unregistered Supplier.
    Jun 10, 2011
  21. Stargel
    This message by Stargel has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 10, 2011, Reason: don't be insulting. it was a battery failure.
    Jun 10, 2011
  22. Stargel

Stargel Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Syracuse,NY
    This is from a battery dealer
    Rechargeable Lithium Battery Information - Protected vs. Unprotected Li-Ion Batteries - Lithium Ion Battery

The primary difference between the Protected and Unprotected batteries is that the protected batteries have a small circuit board, typically on the bottom of the battery, that stops the charging or discharge of the battery in certain circumstances. Some of the circumstances in which the circuit include: Over-Charge, Over-Discharge, Short-Circuit, and in some cases, overheating.

Not all protected batteries cover over heating. So I say those pictures are user errors not battery failures. you have a device that heats up. You need to protect, cover or lock the switch or this will happen.

23. Stargel

Stargel Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Syracuse,NY
    Look at the Saber touch electrical switch perfectly safe under normal use cant be set off by accident Wrong!!! Put it in a tee shirt pocket work up a good sweat and the wet fabric if it contacts the switch and cap will set off the saber touch it happen to me. The user has to be smart enough to understand caution is needed with all these devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.