The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

Discussion in 'New Members Information' started by oldsoldier, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Shany

Shany Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    Montreal Quebec
    I never let my battery on charge during the night. We never know what could happen at least when you there not to fare you can do something but when you are asleep you gonna be in trouble if something bad happen to the battery

2. Trev1138

Trev1138 Full Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dont chargers have a failsafe that makes charging overnight ok? Mine has a light that turns red when you put a battery on it then green when the charge is done. Take a green battery off and put it back on the light will turn red for like 5 seconds then back to green. Its safe to leave a battery on this type of charger overnight right. I mean cell phones and ipods dont blow up when left on.

3. studio52

studio52 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Meridian MS
    Hmmmm lets not give the FDA any amunition to ban use of battery operated mods....Hmmmmmm???

4. Major

Major Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2011
    Panama City, Florida
    Wow... I found this thread while doing an unrelated forum search. After reading every post in the thread my OCD has kicked in. I have a 200 dollar mod enroute and the protected AW batteries recommended for it but I think I'll probably have to get and learn to use a multi-meter before I use it.

I know, walking down a sidewalk isn't without its risks these days but sometimes information overload can lead to rash decisons. Like, there are enough things in life I can't control but those that I can, avoid them. And yes, I wont be carrying my cell phone in my pocket again anytime soon either! :laugh:

5. thepiercefamily2001

thepiercefamily2001 Full Member Verified Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Arvada, CO
    Thanks for the info. Exactly why I go with th aw protected batteries. Also have a fuse upgrade in my mod. I run a golden Greek with the avs. Have had it for over a year and love it.

6. spaz5

spaz5 Moved On

May 28, 2011
    Watertown, NY
    My 70yo dad is a flashlight affictionado and I have seen first-hand the pure energy producted by a battery melt-down. Before I ever even touched a mod battery, he warned me to only use protected and safe-chemistry cells and even those aren't 100% safe.

7. starla

starla Full Member

May 6, 2011
    Passaic Mo
    wow thats scarey

8. ConsoleRepairGuy

ConsoleRepairGuy Full Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    If you have or ever make your own USB passthrough without safety shut off/kill circuitry, be very careful that it doesn't fall between the cushions on your couch/chair or you might come home some day to find your house up in flames. Almost happened to me. I have since moved the push button to a safer spot and always leave it on the table now.

9. Teke507

Teke507 Full Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ny,ny
    Wow that's sobering

10. jimixxx

jimixxx Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    Poland
    Use only the protected battery . And in my GGTS/UFS and my Home Made Mode. Thanks to this I am much safer and calmer.

11. emus

emus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2009
  12. Sookie Sookie
    This message by Sookie Sookie has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 3, 2011, Reason: unregistered.
    Jun 3, 2011
  13. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    No, No, a thousand times NO.

14. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    One of the guys at the Toyota Dealership showed me his leg where his cell phone had started to burn. Batteries in cell phones, computers, etc catch fire. Their are pics everywhere of these. On this forum, there are pics of a Passthrough plugged into a computer that started on fire by itself after user walked away. Don't throw caution to the wind folks. Batteries should be charged while you are in attendance. Not sleeping or outside mowing the grass. Chargers fail also.

15. tybin

tybin ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
    IMO, every vaper should have a multimeter, and like dspin said, just don't leave batteries unattended

16. PROWLER45

PROWLER45 Full Member

May 27, 2011
    FLORIDA
    Wow !!! cant even wonder what i would have done it that happened to me

17. The0n3

The0n3 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    Sask, Can
    Wow thats intense, if i am ever in a fire i may consider leaving my PV behind. haha

18. Jebus

Jebus Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Yes, don't leave your batteries unattended, even when regulated. I have had VGO's crap out for leaving them to charge too long. Time your charge and unplug within 1 hour of full charge.

19. William Berndt

William Berndt Full Member

Jun 1, 2011
    The Villages, Florida
  20. father_of_2

father_of_2 Full Member

May 11, 2011
    Cleveland
    Thanks for the pics. To add to that I found out you can't use a regular battery tester for the protected 3.6/3.7v batteries we use for our ecig mods. I checked one just for fun, and after a couple of seconds the battery started smoking. Luckily I saw it right away, but now I'm almost afraid to use that battery in my mod.

21. BlueDogs

BlueDogs Full Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Henagar, AL. USA
    My head is swimming. Read through approximately 7 pages of this before I had to skip to the end. I still don't even know what those wooden boxes are that you guys are vaping with are called or if you've bought or made them or what!! This is all so confusing but I'm reading and trying to learn. I know, I'm such a noob. (sorry)

I thought e-cigs were pretty much just these cigarette looking devices referred to as batteries (of which I own 6 from 3 different manufacturers no less in my hunt for the perfect "puff") After trying to digest some of this info I think my tired old brain needs a nap. LOL Great info though, thank you guys so much for providing this forum and for all the members here who contribute such interesting information! (even though I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment!) LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.