Nach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
jazco.net
WTB longer wicks!

'Bout to get some hard hitting Doc Dave on...

vI6yEuA.jpg

danirw

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Looking through some of these sets... I'm so totally new to all of this. Can anyone link me to a thread where I can read the basics of setting up your own vape setup? Right now all I know about is the disposable e-cigarettes.

I assume these set up kits must be more economical than the disposables (not to mention better for the earth).

Side note... 1,600,000 views on this thread. Holy! :p

Marob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Looking through some of these sets... I'm so totally new to all of this. Can anyone link me to a thread where I can read the basics of setting up your own vape setup? Right now all I know about is the disposable e-cigarettes.

I assume these set up kits must be more economical than the disposables (not to mention better for the earth).

A good place to start is the InfoZone on this site. There's a button to it at the top of the page, underneath the main logo.

There are a few popular choices for starting out/moving off disposables. One of the main go-to devices is the eGo. Personally, I started out with an eGo Twist and a Vivi Nova clearomizer. Do a quick search on the forum and online (youtube is a good place to get a good look at things) for those. I'm sure many others can chime in with their suggestions/comments.

As for economical... yes and no! With a cheap setup (like the one I mentioned) it definitely will save you money. Then finding good sources of eliquid and even moving on to making you're own (have a poke around in the DIY section when you're feeling brave enough!) will also bring your costs down overall. As for the 'no' part of the answer, many of the wonderful shiny devices on here cost and arm and a leg. They are more a part of the collectors/enthusiast side of the vaping community and once you enter there, it's possible to see your wallet empty faster than you'd like!

Last edited:

danirw

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
A good place to start is the InfoZone on this site. There's a button to it at the top of the page, underneath the main logo.

There are a few popular choices for starting out/moving off disposables. One of the main go-to devices is the eGo. Personally, I started out with an eGo Twist and a Vivi Nova clearomizer. Do a quick search on the forum and online (youtube is a good place to get a good look at things) for those. I'm sure many others can chime in with their suggestions/comments.

As for economical... yes and no! With a cheap setup (like the one I mentioned) it definitely will save you money. Then finding good sources of eliquid and even moving on to making you're own (have a poke around in the DIY section when you're feeling brave enough!) will also bring your costs down overal. As for the 'no' part, many of the wonderful shiny devices on here cost and arm and a leg! They are more part of the collectors/enthusiast part of the vaping community and once you enter there, it's possible to see your wallet empty faster than you'd like!

Thanks for the long reply! I'll checkout the InfoZone now and try to get this figured out in my mind. :)

Oh and I'll be sure to not get into the fancy ones!

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN

The basics are pretty simple. To vape you need power, a heating element of some sort, and juice. Here's a brief primer for you.

1. For power, there are too many choices to list. For a good starter device, I recommend the eGo Twist or the Vision Spinner or something similar. The eGo battery form factor is simple and compatible with most toppers you might use. You can use any topper labeled either as 510 or as eGo threaded. The Twist / Spinner / Kgo VV / etc. offer boosted voltage which
-- A) allows you to maintain consistent power from a full charge to drained,
-- B) allows you to dial in your voltage to get the heat and taste you want on whatever is burning your juice for you

2. For a heating element, most basically you need an atomizer, a cartomizer, or a clearomizer.
-- A) Atomizers are basically just a heating element in a tube without much wicking. People typically drip 4 or 5 drops into an atomizer, vape 10 - 15 pulls, then repeat. New atomizers are somewhat expensive (anywhere from $5 for a generic to $25 for the hh.257), so drippers often soak their atties in vodka to clean and resurrect them a few times between replacements.
-- B) Cartomizers have wicking to hold more juice than atomizers, and are cheaper than atomizers so you can replace them more often. I think most people replace cartos every 5 days or so, so count on a 5 pack lasting about 3 weeks.
-- C) Clearomizers are atomizers that wick down into a tank of some sort. They can be finicky and take a little practice, but are generally considered a good starter component to top an ego battery. The Vision brand Vivi Nova is an excellent choice.

There are many permutations of each. Atomizers come in rebuildable forms -- some intended for dripping (up to 20 drops or more at a time), some with a resevoir (like the Terminator-C, Odysseus or Kayfun), and some people simply disassemble the mass-manufactured atty head of a Clearo (such as the Vivi Nova) and replace the wick and coil with their own silica rope and 32-gauge kanthal. Rebuilding is only for those who don't mind fiddling with gadgets though.

Cartomizers can come punched with a hole to allow liquid to feed in through the side from a carto tank. You can also get a carto punch and punch your own holes. Carto tanks are very popular and can offer extremely pleasant vaping if you've got the patience to mess up a few times until you figure out how to fill a tank and prime the coil without flooding it and getting gurgly.

For juice, figure out whether you like tobacco flavors, minty flavors, fruity flavors, bakery flavors, coffee... I've even tried a pizza flavor juice (which I'm not sure I'd recommend). Tastyvapor.us is a great place for juice. Once you find a flavor you like, you can use their doublers to get 3 months' worth of juice for around 50 bucks, which is a pretty good bargain for their excellent kitchen alchemy. Once you get comfortable in your vaping shoes, you might even consider purchasing unflavored nicotine juice, propylene glycol, and flavoring to DIY your juice.

That's a pretty thorough intro for you. If you've got questions, ask around. We're eager to welcome new ex-smokers. :)

Last edited:

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
George. You're doing it wrong. Conversation threads on ECF are linear. They don't branch like Slashdot or Reddit or similar. Use the "reply with quote" button unless you are replying to the last comment in the thread, or if your comment is new rather than a response to someone else's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread