Pine Ridge Reservation (US) Bans All Vaping, Including Possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Going to visit friends on the Pine Ridge Reservation, S.D.? Better leave your vapes at home, even possession is a criminal offense there now.
Pine Ridge Reservation bans vaping

Unbelievable. So now you have to sneak around and hope your auntie doesn't report you.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Going to visit friends on the Pine Ridge Reservation, S.D.? Better leave your vapes at home, even possession is a criminal offense there now.

Unbelievable. So now you have to sneak around and hope your auntie doesn't report you.

Interesting that right next to that story there was a link to this one, which appears to be from a medical reporter with AP (showing their value as a news source)
Clampdown on vaping could send users back toward cigarettes

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Strange. Hasnt Pine Ridge always been pretty liberal?

Reactions: Anise

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
All of us only vape where folks would smoke, and that's getting to be fewer and fewer places. Should we end up with a national flavor ban here in the States...I anticipate a lot of dirty, snarky looks....and ignorant people who assume that since it's banned it's therefore illegal. But I'm not going to sneak around. THEY would have us skulk around in back alleys and behind dumpsters, all so their precious children won't see vaping. Odd, I don't recall this kind of hysteria when I was sneaking cigarettes in high school in the 70's.

sparkey909w

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
We have Indian Res out here in Vegas and they have smoke shops for cigarettes. So not suprised they would ban the vaping. After all they all want us smoking not quitting. I guess the big wigs didnt realize that tbe anti smoking ads would work so now they have to get everyone back on the cigarettes. It is funny that i notice commercials lately for blu,vuse,and juul on tv constantly even with all the hesteria going on. Seems like the more they ban the more comemrcials they run. So I have to ask. Who is really behind this. Maybe big tobacco???? I have even seen the antivape ads run just prior to a vape commercial.

Reactions: Horselady154

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It is amazing that with all this going on that no one is taking this opportunity to ban cigarettes. One with no knowledge would think smoking is safe these days.
What a wierd world we live in now.
There are three reasons why cigarettes won't be banned any time soon:
1) The remaining smokers would be livid enough to make it very dangerous for any politician to vote for a ban.
2) The loss of all the tax and MSA revenue would be a huge down-side for the government.
3) It would create a black market the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Volstead Act was the law of the land.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It is amazing that with all this going on that no one is taking this opportunity to ban cigarettes. One with no knowledge would think smoking is safe these days.
What a wierd world we live in now.

Because tobacco remains a big part of the economy of several states. The top are NC, KY, VA, TN, GA, SC, and PA. Now take a look at the Senate, and the Electoral College, and you'll see why cigarettes aren't getting banned anytime soon.

Leading U.S. states in tobacco production, 2018 | Statista

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This may or may not have a lot to do with what is being assumed.

What tribe(s) are at this particular Rez? Different tribes have different cultures and religions and different views on tobacco. For many Native American cultures tobacco is a sacred thing. Think wafers perhaps if you happen to be catholic or Anglican. The only culture I know even a tiny little bit about is Lakota. Their view seems to be that partially because tobacco is sacred it should be smoked only in sacred pipes, only in certain situations and only very occasionally. The view of cigarettes is extremely dim. There are numerous posters about my town talking about this.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I believe it's the Oglala Souix
Then they don’t like that word. Souix means “snake” in a different language. It’s a pejorative.

I’m seeing South Dakota. Location doesn’t necessarily mean much because of the forced marches in the 18th and 19th century. The “trail of tears” is a famous but by no means the only one. They could be from anywhere.

It’s possible they’re Dakota, randomly assuming location is correct. The Dakota Lakota and nakota were “western, central, and eastern” sections more or less of the same group. I can totally see them going after anything nicotine based on religious grounds. They may also have very strict rules about cigarettes.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I can totally see them going after anything nicotine based on religious grounds. They may also have very strict rules about cigarettes.

I used to have some freinds that lived on the res there... I've kind of lost touch over time, but many definitely smoked.

The main concern was alcohol for them, alcoholism was a problem so they didn't allow it on the reservation back in the day..(not that, that stopped anyone from drinking if they wanted to)

But many people smoke cigarettes and they are allowed to be sold there so I'm very very sad to see this news..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I used to have some freinds that lived on the res there... I've kind of lost touch over time, but many definitely smoked.

The main concern was alcohol for them, alcoholism was a problem so they didn't allow it on the reservation back in the day..(not that, that stopped anyone from drinking if they wanted to)

But many people smoke cigarettes and they are allowed to be sold there so I'm very very sad to see this news..
Pine ridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread