Pizza Dave Delivers - A Pod System Review - The XTRA by Vaporesso

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and welcome to another review. This is Pizza Dave and today I will be going over the Xtra pod system by vaporesso. The Xtra is vaporesso’s latest pod device, and it is indeed a pod with disposable pods, not changeable coils. This compact device has a 900mah battery, inhale activated fire switch, on/off button, and 3-color LED indicator for faults and battery life. Seems like it ticks all the boxes for a pod, so let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Vaporesso and Heavengifts for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Vaporesso XTRA 900mah battery
  • 1 Mesh .8-ohm pod
  • 1 Unipod 1.2-ohm pod
  • 1 Micro-usb charging cable
  • Paperwork
Available in several color options with black, silver, and rainbow frames. Colors are named Silver Resin, Silver, Gray Resin, Gray, Rainbow Resin, and Rainbow. The accent panels say resin, but they are essentially a soft vinyl sticker that actually gives the thing a great feel and added grip.

GROUP SHOT
0KfQ8ke.jpg

PACKAGING
aw1E2St.jpg

UNBOXED
Gs94U5n.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Measurements: 73.9MM X 38.2MM X 16.7MM

Battery: 900MAH BUILT-IN

Power Range: 11w on unipod, 16w on mesh pod

Capacity: 2ml

Other features: 3-color led for battery level. Inhale fire

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Cute! Yeah, so the first one I opened was the Silver Resin, which has a chrom-esque finish with a swirly blue/pink pattern in the decal. It looks really nice, and all of the colors I received look great. It is quite compact, a little different shape, and is lightweight as well. The first thing that jumped out to me was the on/off button and LED indication. Good features to have indeed. The micro-usb slot is on the side, so it can be charged standing up, which is also the way I like it. The pods are held in magnetically and have a solid grip on the pods, so they nailed that too. Out of the gate, I felt like Vaporesso put a lot of thought into this pod system, so let’s get into some usage and see if it vapes as well as it appears.

OPERATION

This segment won’t take long to go over. Five clicks of the fire button turns the device on and off which is indicated by the tri-color LED doing a little light show. These LEDs will show faults depending on the red flash sequence. Also, if you press the on/off button or as you vape, they indicate the battery level as follows:

GREEN - 74-100%

BLUE - 31-70% (according to the book, but we know it must be like 30-75%)

RED - Below 30%

I like having three levels of indication rather than the old all good, then dead that we get from many devices out there. When it does hit red, I found that it takes roughly 1 hour, maybe a little more to top it off. The device has a charging rate of 1A, which seems to be accurate.

The pods themselves are run of the mill. They have a rubber fill port which reveals a decent sized fill hole. I had no issues filling the pod up with all of my smaller gorilla bottles. As I said in the first impressions section, these are held in place with magnets, and they are solid. I don’t see these popping out on their own.

USEAGE

Ok, so we know how to use it and fill it, but how does it vape. In regard to the device itself, the fire mechanism operates every single time without fail. It is sensitive enough for loose or tight draws depending on the pods, so they nailed the switch. In regard to the pods, here is a breakdown of each.

1.2-ohm round-wire Unipod - This is what I would classify as a traditional MTL pod. The draw is tighter, but not super tight. It feels kind of like an Orion closed down half way if I had to compare it to something I have set up right now. Flavor is alright off these pods for being lower power and work well for those who like higher levels of salt nic.

.8-ohm Mesh pod - The draw is more open than the Unipods by about double or so. The flavor pops on this much more as well. After trying to mesh ones, I won’t even bother with the 1.2-ohm as they fit my vaping style better and flavor is vastly improved. I used 25mg nic salt in this, and don’t think I would find 35+ very enjoyable as it could be a little too potent for my liking.

As far as the pod life goes, which varies depending on liquid, I am seeing standard pod rates that I usually do, with burned flavor beginning around 16mls or so.

The battery of the device got me through a full day and then some, with some liquid left in both pods at that point. Even at that rate, it seems like another device where you simply are going to charge and refill every evening.

PHOTO GALLERY

vEkEDj6.jpg

0aAoSAD.jpg

rWCuK42.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

Pods pods pods. So many come out, so it can be a challenge to sift through them to find standouts. In my opinion Vaporesso has put together one of the better ones out there with this. With the mesh pods, flavor is outstanding, and that’s going to be one of the biggest pros. The device itself isn’t trash either. The LED indication, on/off button, and draw-fire switch all work well without flaws. I also like that there are two very different pods, so it could fit into each person’s vaping style more. There are just a few things that I might be able to nitpick for cons on this one. First off, I don’t like that they are calling some models resin, as they are just textured stickers, not a real resin. Next would be going with a Micro-USB instead of USB-C, as C is just superior in many ways. The last con would be that all of them have a glossy or reflective surface making them very fingerprint happy. All in all though, the Xtra is a good device that does what it is supposed to do and looks good doing it. At $23.50, it is tough to beat for a pod device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I don’t say yes to too many pods and won’t for this one. I may snag some mesh pods and use it for a while, but with each week comes a new pod system to try out.

PROS
  • Nice Styling
  • Compact Size
  • Lightweight
  • Pocket Friendly flat body
  • On/Off button for some peace of mind
  • LED battery indication with 3 levels
  • Solid Magnets on the pods
  • Draw-fire switch works consistently
  • Good flavor

CONS
  • Resin on these is still just a sticker
  • Paint finish is glossy and shows smudges and fingerprints
  • Micro-USB is not my favorite port style

Thank you everyone and thank you to Heavengifts and Vaporesso for sending this my way for review. Heavengifts has these listed for $23.50 USD.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread