Not open for further replies.

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
Hello and morning all!!
Need a bit of advice.
20200729_084105.jpg
20200729_084150.jpg
20200729_084105.jpg

I have a Hellvape passage dual post rda mounted on a geekvape aegis squonk, I had amazing flavour once but I changed the coils and there was a hollow, kind of metally-plastic taste no matter how many times I rewicked, new coils and washed RDA, HOWEVER I just left it over night and now it seems back to normal.

I would just like to know if anyone can identify what I did wrong and why it fixed itself.

This is the coil now, not a lot of flavor but an improvement none the less

Attachments

• 20200729_084141.jpg
    20200729_084141.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 12

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
Your photos are out of focus and don't show much useful information.

Did you build it or is it a store build?
What are the details of the coils? material, id, wraps, resistance?
How many watts are you using
Did the coils glow evenly before wicking? (no hot spots?)
What type of cotton are you using?

What is the nicotine content of the juice you use? What flavour?

Cheers
I

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
Hi and welcome,
Your photos are out of focus and don't show much useful information.

Did you build it or is it a store build?
What are the details of the coils? material, id, wraps, resistance?
How many watts are you using
Did the coils glow evenly before wicking? (no hot spots?)
What type of cotton are you using?

What is the nicotine content of the juice you use? What flavour?

Cheers
I
Sorry mate,

I'm using 7 wraps of 26g kanthal with a 3mm ID, dual coil coming in at 0.53 ohm

Running at usually 75w, sometimes 50w

Cotton bacon cotton

I didn't see any hotspots (although this is only the 2nd rda I've built so maybe advice?? :) )

I'm using 0.3mg of nicotine in a blue slush juice, think it's 70/30

Also the photos are out of focus because I dropped my hammer on the phone

Also I always dry burn but maybe I'm doing it too much?? As I said this is only the second I've done, the first one I built tasted amazing with the exact same parameters

Hope this helps!!

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
'Dry burn' is a misnomer, pulse fire gently, just enough to check for hot spots & even glow from inside out, or just enough to burn off residue from used coil, of course without any wicking material installed.

If you mash the button & hold it until it glows a bright cherry red a few times you are at least damaging the insulators which will give an odd, off, funky taste when they start to break down.
No way to fix the taste until the insulators are replaced.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Sorry mate,

I'm using 7 wraps of 26g kanthal with a 3mm ID, dual coil coming in at 0.53 ohm

Running at usually 75w, sometimes 50w

Cotton bacon cotton

I didn't see any hotspots (although this is only the 2nd rda I've built so maybe advice?? :) )

I'm using 0.3mg of nicotine in a blue slush juice, think it's 70/30

Also the photos are out of focus because I dropped my hammer on the phone

Also I always dry burn but maybe I'm doing it too much?? As I said this is only the second I've done, the first one I built tasted amazing with the exact same parameters

Hope this helps!!
IMO,
Practice wicking.
Start that build at about 45 watts and increase as needed. I might not exceed 55w-60W until you get the wicking sorted.
Have you tried a spaced coil?

You're doing fine overall. :thumbs:
keep at it.
I

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Byrne

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
'Dry burn' is a misnomer, pulse fire gently, just enough to check for hot spots & even glow from inside out, or just enough to burn off residue from used coil, of course without any wicking material installed.

If you mash the button & hold it until it glows a bright cherry red a few times you are at least damaging the insulators which will give an odd, off, funky taste when they start to break down.

Sorry I'm thick, what's an insulator?? Also yes i am doing it cherry red, many, many times

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
IMO,
Practice wicking.
Start that build at about 45 watts and increase as needed. I might not exceed 55w-60W until you get the wicking sorted.
Have you tried a spaced coil?

Your doing fine overall. :thumbs:
keep at it.
I
I haven't tried spacing the coil, I'm basically Tryna copy the ones I made that gave off the best flavour I've tasted, THEN AGAIN is only just started so the best flavour I've tasted could be the worst for u lot

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Sorry I'm thick, what's an insulator?? Also yes i am doing it cherry red, many, many times

It is the little piece of insulation material (peek) that keeps the deck posts & 510 positive pin from shorting against the 510 threading and rest of the delivery device which is negative/ground.

Again there is no reason to 'dry burn' a coil to bright cherry red & especially not yellow to almost white hot.

Pulse fire to a dull orange glow is plenty to test & adjust coil build & burn off any residue.

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
It is the little piece of insulation material (peek) that keeps the deck posts & 510 positive pin from shorting against the 510 threading and rest of the delivery device which is negative/ground.

Again there is no reason to 'dry burn' a coil to bright cherry red & especially not yellow to almost white hot.

Pulse fire to a dull orange glow is plenty to test & adjust coil build & burn off any residue.
That explains why it's a dull, off plastic flavour, also explains why it went normal after leaving it and quickly went dull again, do I HAVE to change this once it's burnt??

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Are my responses not showing up.

I have no idea where to acquire an insulator for the delivery device you're using.
Disassemble, remove insulator, thoroughly scrub all areas it touches with full strength dish soap, really get in there and be sure you clean it very well, rinse.
Then rubbing alcohol or high proof alcohol bath, no o rings, water rinse, dry.
Replace insulator, re assemble.

Adam Byrne

Jul 29, 2020
Are my responses not showing up.

I have no idea where to acquire an insulator for the delivery device you're using.
Disassemble, remove insulator, thoroughly scrub all areas it touches with full strength dish soap, really get in there and be sure you clean it very well, rinse.
Then rubbing alcohol or high proof alcohol bath, no o rings, water rinse, dry.
Replace insulator, re assemble.
Do you reckon it's the centre pin insulator?? Seems most likely that I burnt it when burning my coils cherry red

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Do you reckon it's the centre pin insulator?? Seems most likely that I burnt it when burning my coils cherry red

There are no other plastic parts in that atty, so it's possible that your insulator got damaged by your overheated coil. Can you access it? See the damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread