Please allow me to introduce myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1. I'd like to spend as little as possible to get exactly what I want. Ha.
2. I definitely want replaceable batteries and a charger. The idea of tossing a mod because the battery died makes me shiver.
3. I don't know much about TC vaping, though it seems to have some nice advantages. But if the tanks best for MTL vaping use coils that aren't compatible with it, I have a feeling I'll survive without it.
4. Probably a single battery. I'm housebound, so I can charge at will, and the single-battery mods seem to be cheaper. Plus I don't need masses of power.
5. One of the reasons I'm thinking of making the leap to a mod is that I'm really tired of the wimpiness of the G6. I often feel frustrated when trying to get a decent lungful. And I like the idea of having something that will last a good long time.
The Innokin Zenith tank is a great choice. If you do choose to go with an internal battery mod, the Innokin Kroma/Zenith Tank kit would be a great choice.

Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit
List Price: $49.99

star4.5.gif
(33)​

A great single external battery mod would be the JAC Vapor series B DNA75W which I use. It came in first place in this poll 7th Annual Unofficial Equipment of the Year Poll. It is only available from the JAC Vapour website. It's a very well made, sturdy mod which fits very comfortably in your hand. I get nearly a full day of use with a Samsung 30Q 3000mah 15A battery. I love mine so much I bought a second one!

There is actually a LOT of single battery mods that might fit your style. Take a look here: Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Some last thoughts, don't buy anything made by SMOK. Most pods and AIO (all-in-one) battery devices do not have variable wattage; they only have one output setting. I believe variable voltage/ variable wattage is essential.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks, Bradder!

1. I'd like to spend as little as possible to get exactly what I want. Ha.

2. I definitely want replaceable batteries and a charger. The idea of tossing a mod because the battery died makes me shiver.

3. I don't know much about TC vaping, though it seems to have some nice advantages. But if the tanks best for MTL vaping use coils that aren't compatible with it, I have a feeling I'll survive without it.
Hmm. A range of price points then:
At the high end there is the JAC vapor sandstorm. Great tc, made of stainless steel, good looking, somewhere between $65-$100 depending on how you order it
A really good deal atm is the geekvape ageis (the original one) they’re being remaindered atm and can be had really cheap. It’s a much lager mod than the sandstorm and meant for 26650 batteries but if you also buy the extended cap you can fit 2x700s in it. The primary advantage of the ageis is ruggedness. It’s a milspec mod. It’s waterproof, rustproof, rubber armored, and you can literally run over it with a tank.
At the lower end there are any number of single battery mods. The range gets pretty wide here. One of the best deals in your case might be the kroma-a baditude mentioned, mostly because it comes with the atty you want for $50 all in. It is not a replaceable battery mod but it will go all day for you with its large LiPo battery

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    You're probably 90% more likely to have a mod die from droppage than battery death.

I suppose it depends upon the manufacturer and the quality of the internal battery. I have always preferred to have a spare battery charger along with batteries. But, that is just my personal likes. I have seen some internal batteries not last very long at all but on the other hand, I have seen some last for quite awhile. I have nothing against internal battery mods as some of them are quite good and last a long time :)

Probably more of a personal preference than anything. ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I'm seeing a few recommendations for the Kroma A, and the fact that it comes in a kit with the Zenith tank is definitely a plus. I think it's ugly, but what the hey. The price is certainly right.
    The krona-a probably wouldn’t be recommended much except for the fact that it comes with the zenith. If there was a decent removable battery kit that also came with the zenith it would probably replace it as the recommended device.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The real weak spot is USB charging connector. Easily avoided thru use off magnetic USB connectors.
    This is the main con concerning USB charging. Manufacturers should have went with a cylindrical plug that would have been much more durable for daily in and out use. Disregard the red square in the pic.

OKTfj.jpg

But alas, manufacturers chose the micro USB as the standard. Perhaps confirming that its main function is for firmware updates and not for charging.

Most folks on ECF tend to prefer using external batteries, and for good reasons IMHO.

Internal batteries are nearly all Lipo chemistry, which is a more dangerous battery chemistry than the exernal "safer chemistry" Li-ion batteries. Using an external charger you can visibly monitor the batteries more closely while charging. And should a short occur while charging, you don't have to replace your expensive mod which would likely get toasted using USB charging.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The krona-a probably wouldn’t be recommended much except for the fact that it comes with the zenith. If there was a decent removable battery kit that also came with the zenith it would probably replace it as the recommended device.
    I agree with this.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    I suppose it depends upon the manufacturer and the quality of the internal battery. I have always preferred to have a spare battery charger along with batteries. But, that is just my personal likes. I have seen some internal batteries not last very long at all but on the other hand, I have seen some last for quite awhile. I have nothing against internal battery mods as some of them are quite good and last a long time :)

Probably more of a personal preference than anything. ;)
    I agree with the personal preference thing. I have a cabinet full of external battery mods. I've tired of the hassles of vaping tho. I've been rebuilding everything I got my hands on for years including the tiniest of drop in coils. I just want my vape to be as easy and carefree as possible.
    Which is why I've settled on the Zero pod since I figured out the airflow hack. Yes the pods likely will never be rebuildable due to its ceramic coil and the devices built in automatic Temp Control. Don't care. Replacement pods will likely cost me at most $3 a week. That's nothing. Wouldn't buy half a pack of cigs. Maybe now I'll have time to focus on my dismal DIY juice skills:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    This is the main con concerning USB charging. Manufacturers should have went with a cylindrical plug that would have been much more durable for daily in and out use. Disregard the red square in the pic.

OKTfj.jpg

Most folks on ECF tend to prefer using external batteries, and for good reasons.

Internal batteries are nearly all Lipo chemistry, which is a more dangerous battery chemistry than the "safer chemistry" Li-ion batteries. Using an external charger you can visibly monitor the batteries more closely while charging. And should a short occur while charging, you don't have to replace the mod.

yeah and no matter what a battery is composed of it will eventually reduce it's power output and eventually fail to charge........ chances are that a mod will greatly outlive any type of battery (many times over) and this is one of the main reasons that external batteries are popular with many folks here.... If you are a person that doesn't plan on buying mod after mod and only plan on sticking to a single mod, then external batteries are advantageous.

On the other hand, there is a slight positive for people using internal battery mods. They do not have to mess with replacing batteries. Just plug them in, charge them up, and your good to go.... It's the simplest solution for many beginners who are first learning. As already mentioned, charging cables can be a source of problems as well.

But as @Baditude mentioned the Lipo batteries tend to have more thermal problems and as such they tend to be less safe........ I have however, seen people use internal batteries for quite a good length of time with zero problems. So, it's all in what a person wants to do with all this info...... Some folks simply will NOT mess with external batteries no matter what they learn about batteries. In that case, it gets back to the subject of personal preference.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    I've actually had more of them fail than USBs. Always been the wiring within the blob of plastic that the connector itself protrudes from.

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
    Sep 30, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    I've tired of the hassles of vaping tho. I've been rebuilding everything I got my hands on for years including the tiniest of drop in coils. I just want my vape to be as easy and carefree as possible.

200.gif

I yes that. That was me. I felt like that also, lol. I quit chasing the newest and latest (minor changes) and just concentrate on quality & performance, so vaping is still fun again. Not a chore or hassle anymore like before.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I agree with the personal preference thing. I have a cabinet full of external battery mods. I've tired of the hassles of vaping tho. I've been rebuilding everything I got my hands on for years including the tiniest of drop in coils. I just want my vape to be as easy and carefree as possible.
    Which is why I've settled in the Zero pod since I figured out the airflow hack. Yes the pods likely will never be rebuildable due to its ceramic coil and the devices built in automatic Temp Control. Don't care. Replacement pods will likely cost me at most $3 a week. That's nothing. Maybe now I'll have time to focus on my dismal DIY juice skills:lol::lol::lol:

I am the one with dismal DIY juice skills ... I have came up with some pretty "strange" concoctions that would probably "raise the dead" lol .... Oh well, at least I try :)

Yeah I know what you mean about wanting to "simplify" the vaping experience..... Many people are not mechanically, electrically, or technically educated. As such, they do not want to mess with making coils, fiddling with batteries or any of the other activities that can come with vaping. They just want to put juice in a device and vape..... Even some folks who do know how to do all of those things often get tired of it and start using simple hassle free devices.

Reactions: keelalagirl55

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    I am the one with dismal DIY juice skills ... I have came up with some pretty "strange" concoctions that would probably "raise the dead" lol .... Oh well, at least I try :)

Yeah I know what you mean about wanting to "simplify" the vaping experience..... Many people are not mechanically, electrically, or technically educated. As such, they do not want to mess with making coils, fiddling with batteries or any of the other activities that can come with vaping. They just want to put juice in a device and vape..... Even some folks who do know how to do all of those things often get tired of it and start using simple hassle free devices.
    I once mixed a juice sooooo bad that I named it 'SneakerFarts'! Thing is I got addicted to it and vaped nothing else for sumthin like 3 months!:confused:

Reactions: AXIOM_1

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Well, after spending all day on this, I'm exhausted. I'm also hating this G6, so I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Kroma A kit, even though it's not exactly what I want. It'll serve for a while--or longer--and if I hate it I can always get a different mod (one with replaceable batteries). To tell the truth, money is a factor here. A tank, a mod, batteries, and a charger are going to cost me more than twice the price of this kit.

Thanks to all of you!

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Well, after spending all day on this, I'm exhausted. I'm also hating this G6, so I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Kroma A kit, even though it's not exactly what I want. It'll serve for a while--or longer--and if I hate it I can always get a different mod (one with replaceable batteries). To tell the truth, money is a factor here. A tank, a mod, batteries, and a charger are going to cost me more than twice the price of this kit.

Thanks to all of you!

The important thing is that you will be vaping rather than smoking (no matter what you use)... Who knows, the Kroma kit may satisfy you fine..... If not, it's better than nothing and you can use it until you can afford something else. You might be surprised as you might like the Kroma. Good luck.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread