PLEASE HELP!!! Sick and Can't Vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

briantb21

Jan 3, 2011
Sterling, VA
Okay folks, I need some help here! I am at a loss and don't know what to do! Let me give you a quick bullet-point rundown:

• Smoker of about 29 years
  • Third attempt to quit smoking by vaping
    • First attempt: 510 cig-a-like - messy and a pain in the ..., too much work for very little flavor/vapor
    • Second attempt: Ego and Ego-T - okay but just a pain in the ...
    • Third attempt: MVP and Protanks - Doing good with it
  • Stopped smoking June 20th at about 10:30am - Only vaping at this point but definitely a CHAIN VAPER
  • Been doing good with vaping until about 5 days ago when I got very sick
    • Viral infection with 103 temp
  • Tried to vape but it kills my sore throat
  • After having a "Nic Fit", I bummed a cig from a coworker yesterday
    • Didn't hurt my throat and calmed my "Nic Fit"
    • Smelled and tasted like crap!
  • This morning, I went and bought a pack of analogs to get me through my illness and stop me from freaking out

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do? Vaping hurts the hell out of my throat right now but I need my Nic Fix! What do I do?? I normally vape 50/50 18mg (and chain-vape like a chimney).

HELP!!! :confused::mad:

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do?
Keep smoking until your throat heals. It's not like vapers are alcoholics and have to go to rehab if we go on a smoking binge again.

When it's time to go back though, I'd up myself to 24mg. And there's nothing wrong with chain-vaping either.

Edit: I'm under the impression something else caused the "viral" infection and throat inflammation because vaping is not a virus.

Last edited:

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
You get your nicotine from the vapor absorbed in your mouth and nasal passages, so you don't have to inhale. Just try and hold it in your mouth and exhale through your nose. Hope that helps :)
You get it from both the mouth and nose and the lungs as well (I read somewhere that about 30% is from the mouth and nose and about 70% is from the lungs, but I have no idea if that's reliable. It would seem to depend on your vaping style). Either way, briantb21 will likely be able to get some nic from mouth hits, but possibly not enough to feel satisfied (especially if he chain vapes normally).

I agree with imsoenthused, try a heavier VG liquid to see if the PG is mainly responsible for the irritation, and if you have access to any more soothing flavors, try those as well (I don't use menthol myself, so that sounds irritating to me, but I don't know).

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
You could run over to a CVS and get a bottle of VG CVS Pure Glycerin USP - CVS pharmacy and mix some with your current e-liquid to see if lower nic, higher VG is more tolerable. Maybe 2/3 current liquid + 1/3 VG, which would bring the level to 12mg. I'd suggest to only mix up a little in a separate bottle at first in case you hate it. The flavor will be diluted, but I think flavor isn't so important when your feeling ill anyway.

Menthol seems to help with sinus and congestion problems, but I think it's a little bit harsh on the throat.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Light Menthol Flavor
Minty Fruits Flavors
Lower Nic to reduce irritation
More Open pull - Aerotank AFC Base to open up the Protank
Slower lighter draws

Increasing VG may sooth, but under congestive conditions may increase lung discomfort. Probably best to stick with what you already know your body accepts under normal conditions.

INCREASE FLUID INTAKE!!!!!

Hope your better soon! :)

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I will say I'm experiencing being sick less...chronic bronchitis...

but that's for you to look forward to, you quit ten days and four hours before we did *but who's counting?* (got a kick that you knew the exact time):p

I had a sore throat/cough thing a month or so ago, and went 100% VG and air controls wide open, wide bore drip tip, lots of fluid, hot liquids, warm salt water gargles and a kiss and a promise that'll get better.

Hope you feel better soon!!:toast:

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
Okay folks, I need some help here! I am at a loss and don't know what to do! Let me give you a quick bullet-point rundown:

• Smoker of about 29 years
  • Third attempt to quit smoking by vaping
    • First attempt: 510 cig-a-like - messy and a pain in the ..., too much work for very little flavor/vapor
    • Second attempt: Ego and Ego-T - okay but just a pain in the ...
    • Third attempt: MVP and Protanks - Doing good with it
  • Stopped smoking June 20th at about 10:30am - Only vaping at this point but definitely a CHAIN VAPER
  • Been doing good with vaping until about 5 days ago when I got very sick
    • Viral infection with 103 temp
  • This morning, I went and bought a pack of analogs to get me through my illness and stop me from freaking out

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do? Vaping hurts the hell out of my throat right now but I need my Nic Fix! What do I do?? I normally vape 50/50 18mg (and chain-vape like a chimney).

There's plenty of alternatives to lighting up, such as nicotine lozenges, gum etc - the quick spray dispenser is particularly effective - but also particularly expensive!

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I will say I'm experiencing being sick less...chronic bronchitis...

but that's for you to look forward to, you quit ten days and four hours before we did *but who's counting?* (got a kick that you knew the exact time):p

I had a sore throat/cough thing a month or so ago, and went 100% VG and air controls wide open, wide bore drip tip, lots of fluid, hot liquids, warm salt water gargles and a kiss and a promise that'll get better.

Hope you feel better soon!!:toast:

For those nasty tickly coughs I used to gargle Kaolin & morphine - its actually for bad stomach and I'm not sure whether its still available in the UK.

Most cough remedies contain codeine - and I have a nasty reaction to that!

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
If you have a viral infection and can't vape, try a nicotine patch until you are feeling okay. I had a terrible cold/sore throat for a few days and vaping was misery, but I vaped enough so I didn't go nuts from lack of nicotine. I still have some 12 mg juice from when I first quit smoking, so vaped that when I felt like I had to get some nicotine or die. I am on 3 or 6mg now, so that was enough of a boost to get me through. Hope you are feeling better or will be back to good health in a couple of days.

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Illness had nothing to do with vaping.

I go the other way, raise your NIC level to 24mg, so you will VAPE less, and perhaps if you can stand it, go with a menthol vape?

Lots of fluids - as in a crazy amount of fluids will also help you - as a newly quit person, you need plenty of NIC, and over-vaping *can* hurt til you are more used to it, so by raising your NIC level you will hopefully vape less - does this make sense?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I just went through a real bad cold. I vape zero-nic juice and had no problem vaping through it all. When I used to vape 18 mg nic, I had issues like yours too.

A few points;

You do not need to inhale at all to get your nicotine. Pull into your mouth and 'exhale' through your nose.

You very likely do not need as much nic as you think you do. If you need to inhale into your lungs, juice at half the nic level will be much easier to vape.

If you need to smoke for a few more days, it's not the end of the world. Get back to vaping as soon as you can.

Let us know how it goes :thumb:

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I just went through a real bad cold. I vape zero-nic juice and had no problem vaping through it all. When I used to vape 18 mg nic, I had issues like yours too.

A few points;

You do not need to inhale at all to get your nicotine. Pull into your mouth and 'exhale' through your nose.

You very likely do not need as much nic as you think you do. If you need to inhale into your lungs, juice at half the nic level will be much easier to vape.

If you need to smoke for a few more days, it's not the end of the world. Get back to vaping as soon as you can.

Let us know how it goes :thumb:

Or just switch to non-vape alternatives - patches, gum, lozenges or quick-mist.

If I could get away with no-nic fluid for even a few days, I'd pack it in altogether and save even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread