Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locus0fcontrol

Jul 3, 2015
Okay. So I'm new to vaping. I just bought a kanger subox mini. It comes fairly set up. I bought a battery 18650 and put it on. Filled the tank that was already set up and set the watts to 10. Did dry pulls for about a minute. But I keep getting a burnt taste in my throat. What am I doing wrong? The ohms at one point went all the way up to 9.9 and the watts were at 7.

I'm scared to use the damn thing.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay. So I'm new to vaping. I just bought a kanger subox mini. It comes fairly set up. I bought a battery 18650 and put it on. Filled the tank that was already set up and set the watts to 10. Did dry pulls for about a minute. But I keep getting a burnt taste in my throat. What am I doing wrong? The ohms at one point went all the way up to 9.9 and the watts were at 7.

I'm scared to use the damn thing.

1: well you should always start low and move up gradually when you are new

2: when the ohms comes up as 9.9 that means the battery is not seeing the coil.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi LocusOfControl, and welcome to the forum. First, the coil needs to be primed or you will get dry hits. Before filling the tank you put 4 drops down the hole in the coil to soak the cotton wick. Then you add a drop to each side where the cotton has a hole to get the juice. If you don't prime the coil then you will get dry hits and probably burn your wick past use. (which is where you may be now) Change the coil head and prime it.

It sounds like a poor connection in the tank or between the tank and the battery (mod). Make certain the new coil is firmly screwed into the bottom of the base on the subtank. Also make certain the contact points on both the tank and the battery (mod) are clean (use a qtip or paper towel).

Prime the new coil, fill the tank and take a hit WITHOUT power to draw some vacuum and give the tank time to soak in some juice. Set the watts to 10, take a hit and then bump it up. If it gets to warm or starts to taste burnt, back it down.

Good luck in your vape journey, it gets easier from here.

Locus0fcontrol

Jul 3, 2015
hi LocusOfControl, and welcome to the forum. First, the coil needs to be primed or you will get dry hits. Before filling the tank you put 4 drops down the hole in the coil to soak the cotton wick. Then you add a drop to each side where the cotton has a hole to get the juice. If you don't prime the coil then you will get dry hits and probably burn your wick past use. (which is where you may be now) Change the coil head and prime it.

It sounds like a poor connection in the tank or between the tank and the battery (mod). Make certain the new coil is firmly screwed into the bottom of the base on the subtank. Also make certain the contact points on both the tank and the battery (mod) are clean (use a qtip or paper towel).

Prime the new coil, fill the tank and take a hit WITHOUT power to draw some vacuum and give the tank time to soak in some juice. Set the watts to 10, take a hit and then bump it up. If it gets to warm or starts to taste burnt, back it down.

Good luck in your vape journey, it gets easier from here.

Okay! Thank you. Going to try it now. Just the dry hits without power taste much better.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Okay so I did everything and the ohms seems to be going up again. It's at 2.4 now. Should it be at .5?

Without having it in hand it's difficult to say. Usually when the ohms change it's because of a weak connection in either the coil head, or the connection between the tank and battery. Is it still reading wrong? How is the taste?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Without having it in hand it's difficult to say. Usually when the ohms change it's because of a weak connection in either the coil head, or the connection between the tank and battery. Is it still reading wrong? How is the taste?

The reason I ask is trying to determine where the issue still is. It's possible (rare) the battery (mod) is reading off. It's also possible something is not making good contact. (coil) (tank to mod)

Locus0fcontrol

Jul 3, 2015
Yea. I honestly have no clue. I'll probably take it back to the store on Monday due to it being a holiday weekend. And maybe see about them doing a tutorial and or seeing what's wrong with it. I'm not skilled enough to know. The taste was fine but towards the end it would grab that burnt taste. So in order not to ruin this coil also I just took it off the tank.

Reactions: zoiDman

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Yea. I honestly have no clue. I'll probably take it back to the store on Monday due to it being a holiday weekend. And maybe see about them doing a tutorial and or seeing what's wrong with it. I'm not skilled enough to know. The taste was fine but towards the end it would grab that burnt taste. So in order not to ruin this coil also I just took it off the tank.

I'm sorry you're having these problems. I know the Kanger Subbox (mod/battery) has a fixed 510 pin (the copper pin that touches the bottom of the tank to make the connection), and sometimes these pins can get out of place resulting in a poor connection. If you're using a high VG juice it will wick slower, which can also lead to dry hits.

Good luck (I swear it does get easier)

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
hrm - have you tried it with the 1.2 ohm coil - and what nic level of juice are you using? and Welcome!

I have a kanger subox I am vaping on right now with the .5 ohm coil at 30 watts with a 6mg nic liquid and ohms are reading steady at .5

if its not a coil issue (meaning coil is seated well/ screwed down firmly (but not overtightened) an not a bad coil) then it may actually be a mod issue - in which case they should replace it... biggest issue I have had with the subox is remembering to put battery in upside down, lol

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay so I did everything and the ohms seems to be going up again. It's at 2.4 now. Should it be at .5?

Hi Locus0fcontrol.

Just to give you some of the Lingo we use. The Cube shaped Pieces that have the built in Coil/Cotton wicks, we call those "OCC Heads".

And the Round Piece where you put your own coil in and then your own Cotton Wick, we call that the "RBA Section".

Any time you put in a New OCC Head, you do need to put a Few Drop on e-liquid on the Cotton to "Prime" it. 3 or 4 Drops should be Enough. Just do it until all the Cotton Wick you can see is Saturated.

---

The Ohms jumping around or Not being the Same number as on the OCC Head is a Sign that you are Not Making a Good Electrical Connection somewhere.

I would Take the Tank Off and then check that the OCC is Snug on the Base. Not Tight Tight. Just a Good Snug Fit. Then put the Tank back on and might sure it is Snug.

Now put the Whole thing onto you Mod and Gently screw it on. When you feel it is starting to get Snug, look between the Mod and the Base of you Tank. Do you see a Little Gap?

If there is, and you can screw the Tank a Little More, go ahead and do it. But if it feels like it Doesn't want to screw down anymore, Don't force it.

Now Check the Ohms by pushing the Power Button to turn the Screen on. It should Read the Same Number that is on the Side of the OCC Head. Like .5 or .6 but Not 2.4 if you have a .5 Ohm OCC Head.

If it Doesn't, or if the Ohms are Bouncing around, then you Probably need to take everything back to where you got it and have them take a Look at it.

Hope this works. And have a Great 4th of July either way.

Locus0fcontrol

Jul 3, 2015
I'm sorry you're having these problems. I know the Kanger Subbox (mod/battery) has a fixed 510 pin (the copper pin that touches the bottom of the tank to make the connection), and sometimes these pins can get out of place resulting in a poor connection. If you're using a high VG juice it will wick slower, which can also lead to dry hits.

Good luck (I swear it does get easier)
I hope so. I appreciate the help. I'm going to go to gorilla vapes tomorrow to get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread