Please read and Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

superfrog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
North Virginia
As a few of you know, I'm at the tail end of a 20 year enlistmen, and I'm very involved with vets with the Local and State VFW orgs here in Rhode Island. It was rewarding to turn on CNN and FoxNews and hear reports of Staff Sgt Giunta being rewarded the Medal of Honor. One of the things that he said, he would give the Medal up in a heart beat to have his friends back, and that there are 'many more unsung hero's' in the military. It is very heart warming to see that we are giving recognition for galentry. This comes at a time where we, as a Nation, observed Veterans day. This comes a couple of days where we were happy to celebrate the local 'Veteran of the Year'. This comes just a day after at least one community mourned the loss of one of it's son's, this community.

Two days ago, as was my duty of an officer of the Town's VFW, as a Vet, and as a serviceman, I attended the funeral for Middletown's fallen son, SGT Michael Paranzino. He was Killed in Action, in Afganastan, on the Fith, leaving behind a wife and two small boys. I've never had the chance to meet Mike, nor am I from here. Only a few times have I really had more than two good words to say about this community, until yesterday. The two adjacent towns, Newport and Middletown, spent the weekend in mourning. I had a brief tearful greeting with Mike's father on Veterans day, it's really hard to stay dry eyed even now as I type.

Mike, on his second tour in the Middle East, was killed while on patrol by an IED.

I've been spending a lot of time, as a few of us here, reflecting on Mike and his family, as well as our service. After being involved with the VFW, I've attended many wakes, memorials, and funerals; many of close friends. But it's alot different saying goodbye to someone who lived a long and happy life. Mike, he was 22 when he was killed.

His service was good, and the weather was nice for this time of year. His family expressed alot of gratitude to the community. It is what I saw after the service, while drive to the cemetary, that I'll never forget. Along the town's main road, construction stopped, and drivers pulled to the side of the road when the didn't have to. People came out from the stores and shops, and stood there, many saluting. American Flags lined the street. When we pulled onto the side road to the cemetary, there stood a lone vet with a sign. Although I was teary eyed all morning, when I saw the message he carried, I cried.
SGT Paranzino - I try to be worth dying for!
For the rest of my life, I'll remember that vet, with his hat at his heart, standing next to that sign. I cried, not that the sign was a sad sign, but that it was very true. Although there are some that do not, most Americans live their life like that, to try to be worth dying for. I never thought of it, but I do now.

It's not like me to ramble on quite like this, but this is a story I want to tell, to spread. There are many 'unsung' heros out there. I am thanked all of the time, by many of you infact, for my service. For that I am grateful. But more importantly, we need to remember the price of freedom. Please remember those men and women who paid that price, in full; and those many who put down payments on it for each of us. Remember to 'be worth dying for!'

There are many that have their oppinions about current combat operations, public policies, and miliitary postures. That's why we serve, so that we can have those oppinions. You may not support the battles or the war, but please support the warrior.

What I did on Monday, I hope I never have to do again. But I know in time, I will; and I will go without second thought. I'm sorry, if this is just a jumble, but it is a story I had to tell.

God Bless all!
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread