Polishing your SSGG's: What's the consensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Speakingof old engravings, I have the old ggts nickel that needs restoration. I got it pre-owned and the engravings are kinda faded. Is there a way to buff them back to shape? I would love to restore this beauty back to shape becauseit holds sentimental value to me. (My very first gg)

It will have to be professionally done:
1. Remove all the plating
2. Polish
3. Laser engrave
4. Nickel plate

Capt.Louisville

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Louisville, KY
Buffing is the next step Capt. but if you have the old engravings you got to be careful and as Para wisely advised me COVER THEM with tape. If they are the new one's fire away they're deep and not an issue with buffing :toast:

Are we talking green compound, rouge or something else?

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Simichrome, Autosol or Flitz? I've used Cape Cod & it's ok, but I'm thinking of stepping up my polishing game.

None of the above anymore and especially not Cape Cod

Only thing I use now is Sharkhide Metal Polish. - the best ever for aluminum, but is excellent on Nickle and SS - its great for all metals. You can't feel any grit in it at all, and shines the best of any polish I have ever used. IMO Sharkhide was recommended last yr by Para and UKTarget. Again this yr to me by Para. So thats what I bought and now exclusively use.

SHARKHIDE POLISH | eBay

EsxPaul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
UK

Only thing I use now is Sharkhide Metal Polish. - the best ever for aluminum, but is excellent on Nickle and SS - its great for all metals. You can't feel any grit in it at all, and shines the best of any polish I have ever used. IMO Sharkhide was recommended last yr by Para and UKTarget. Again this yr to me by Para. So thats what I bought and now exclusively use.

SHARKHIDE POLISH | eBay

Thanks, dspin. I was eagerly anticipating your views on the Sharkhide.
When something gets the dspinizing seal of approval I know it will be a great product to use.

Capt.Louisville

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Louisville, KY

SHARKHIDE POLISH | eBay

I've seen your work. If I can come close, I'll be more than happy. Thanks for the link.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Sharkhide is a great polish. I have used it many times to bring the shine to my truck wheels.. wish I could get it local

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I've seen some truck items it's been used on and the results are simply incredible....jaw dropping transformation. I have no idea what chemical brew allows it to do what it does; just that the results are stunning.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Yes, and if you get it in your threads, (which I do) its rinses right out. I always after polishing, rinse them off again w/warm water or a little soapy water and final wipe. I tend to use too much polish even though I know better.

I also do each GG a couple times. I think they look better, might just be my OCD though.

I dont use a dremel or buffing wheel, so I can only imagine what they would look like if I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread