Polyethylene glycol - peg 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento
i have been searching online and im finding that many threads on this being used in eliquid is QUITE OLD now. Curious if theres something i missed about it? seems like it would be a more common option with vendors?

with my issues seem to be isolated to VG atm, im looking to something like this if i cant use PG...but i wanted to know what the TH was, since the flavor is a bit more stale from what ive read.

Who has used it? whats your thoughts?
is it still considered safe?
what vendors sell it as a base or premixed?

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento
There is a difference between polyethylene glycol (PEG) and propylene glycol (PG).

Vaping involves PG, not PEG.

you should google peg-400, people have been vaping it for years. i think it just lost the coin toss to more popular bases due to various reasons.

heres info from another forums user:
Polyethylene Glycol - PEG400
On its own, this is an oddball, a bit like PG, though it hasn't the plastickyness. It has a slightly oily mouthfeel, which I found hard to place, for its not like swigging babyoil down, for instance, but has a definitely non-water-vapour like feel on its own. Produced plumes of vapour that actually seemed better than Glycerine. No sweetness on the tongue, no added flavour as such.

Flavouring added made no discernible difference either to taste or vapour production, lacked the sweetness, so the tart acidity of the Blackcurrant passed through quite well, so no real change from the PG, except that the plasticky undertone of the PG is not present.

The Verdict
Whilst I like PG, I'm a definite Aqueous Glycerine fan, the PEG-400 seemed much like it in every respect, except that it is tasteless. I didn't get any aftertaste from this though, so I have to conclude that I will be ditching PG entirely from now on, and replacing it with PEG-400, but for me, the majority of my mixes will continue to be VG based, purely because the sweetness adds depth to my fruity flavours, and replaces some of the sweetness I like. The PEG-400 though, is vastly superior to PG, and for those who ever ask me what to use, I'd point them at the PEG-400, for its superior vapour production.

this is probably why no one has kept using this stuff, considering theres so little support of its safety and questionable manufacturing process.
Polyethlene Glycol 400 (PEG400) is probably the most concerning of three. The primary concern with PEG400 is the near complete lack of quality testing. The only company to have done any tests is the original manufacturer Dow. The exact details of how this testing was performed unfortunately is unavailable, yet, it can be inferred from the results they were basing the maximum attainable concentration from natural evaporation when they stated the LC50 took 8 hours at a concentration of a mere 229mg/m3. That concentration is nowhere near the maximum attainable when applying additional heat. On a side note PEG200 has been tested properly showing a 4-hour LC50 of 2516mg/m3 yet is bit too viscous for use in E-Liquids. Another common concern with PEG400 is cross-contamination with DEG (Diethylene Glycol). It has been reported that many plants producing one is often producing the other in the same room. And it has been found where batches of PEG were made in vats that previously contained DEG. DEG, even trace amounts, can cause serious health conditions. So until proper testing is performed and manufacturers can assure us PEG and DEG are manufactured separately I refuse to even sniff the stuff.

Last edited:

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

PEG
It is better to avoid PEG for DIY purposes if purchased 'ad hoc', i.e. not from a trusted vendor of inhalation products, as it is difficult to source in the correct viscosity (PEG400); but mainly because it is the most likely of all the excipients to be contaminated with DEG, a poison. It should probably not be used by anyone without access to a testing facility for DEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread